HOU- Hobby Airport hotels

I have found 2 hotels in the Hobby airport area that have availability--- Hampton Inn and LaQuinta.

Have you stayed at either of these hotels?

Would you recommend or not either of these?

What is the area around the airport and these hotels like? Is it safe, noisy, etc?

We plan to use the hotel shuttle from the airport and also to take us to dinner in the evening. We will get a cab to Galveston in the morning. We don't arrive at Hobby until 8PM.

Are we better off to look for a different hotel even if it requires a cab ride?

I have no direct info to help you but you can look on trip advisor and see what people are saying about these hotels. Personally, I think I could cope with 1 night almost anywhere reasonable, and I am very picky!

The most important things may be an airport shuttle and if there is a restaurant onsite. I booked the Courtyard at Hobby. It has a restaurant and a shuttle. I also know that there are only a few restaurants in that area. So, we booked the Courtyard using points, and will pay for the overpriced meals for the convenience.

I hope someone who has been there or lives nearby can give you a better answer.

Enjoy your cruise

ML

I can't comment on the accommodation, but as to the area around Hobby the area is far from the worst part of Houston, but not what I would call nice either, there are not a lot of dining options that come to mind in the immediate area, mostly fast food. The nearest hotels with dining options within walking distance I can think of would probably be the cluster of hotels and casual dining spots just east of I-45 at Bay Area Blvd (exit 26 I think) between I-45 and Hwy 3 on Bay Area Blvd, this is 10-12 miles south of the airport just off I-45 towards Galveston (about 30 miles from the Galveston cruise terminal). There are 8-9 hotel/motels along this half mile stretch of Bay Area Blvd and probably 15-20 casual dining options, and even more fastish food.

Can not recommend the Hampton Inn at Hobby. I'm diamond level with Hilton and stayed in a lot of Hampton Inns and for whatever reason that one has always been a little below par. I like the Hampton Inn in Clear Lake/Webster much better. Its a bit farther down the road from Hobby, but not that far. Don't know about La Quinta at Hobby, sorry.

We have stayed at La Quinta twice now. It's clean, quiet and fine for an overnight. Only problem we had was two years ago there were junebugs everywhere outside (late March), but that wasn't the hotel's fault. It has a free shuttle from Hobby but you may need to wait for 1 or two roundtrips since there might be a bunch of people waiting. The hotel is only a few minutes away so that's no big deal. There is NOTHING in the area for shopping or dining. We always get in late so the dining isn't a problem, but if you will need a meal you might want to grab a bite at the airport. I went out walking one morning to try to buy some things for the cruise and there are only two gas stations and an adult bookstore in the vicinity.

They do have a rate which includes round trip shuttle transport to Galveston, so if you end up staying there it might be worth looking into that. Much cheaper than a cab.

Breakfast is included but nothing special. The highlight is the Texas-shaped waffle maker.:rolleyes:

Can not recommend the Hampton Inn at Hobby. I'm diamond level with Hilton and stayed in a lot of Hampton Inns and for whatever reason that one has always been a little below par. I like the Hampton Inn in Clear Lake/Webster much better. Its a bit farther down the road from Hobby, but not that far. Don't know about La Quinta at Hobby, sorry.

I agree, I've found Clear Lake to be a much nicer area than around Hobby, with reasonably priced hotels.

Drury Inn is the place to stay. Drury Inn Houston Hobby! you will get free evening meal (5:30 Kick Back), and free (3) cocktails. Free popcorn and sodas starting at 3:00. And a great breakfast. Oh and free one hour long distance calls. Drury is our number one choice if there is one where we are going!!

I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Dec 2014 for cruise out of Galveston. January 2016 have picked the Drury near Hobby for cruise out of Bayport(Norwegian cruise). The Courtyard was full of cruisers and it was fun talking to everyone about their upcoming cruise. Looking forward to the same experience at Drury. My biggest concern is how my husband and I are going to get to Bayport on Saturday morning at the best price. Norwegian wants $50 per person each way which I think is really high. We have never paid that much per person for cruise line transportation(Orlando airport to port, Ft Lauderdale airport to port in Miami, IAH to Galveston port or Hobby to Galveston port). Anyone have an idea what a taxi would cost from Drury at Hobby to Bayport on Saturday morning?

• 1 month later...

I agree with the Drury Inn if you can get a room there. We are at the Houston Hobby Drury Inn right now. We were picked up at the Airport about 10 minutes after we called by the General Manager himself! They started offering popcorn and soft drinks in the lobby at 3 PM (and will continue til 10 PM). Nice heated indoor/outdoor pool and spa. Free Wi-Fi. At 5:30 they had dinner in the lobby---Pasta, meatballs, salad, chili, baked potatoes, nachos, and hot dogs, plus three alcoholic beverages per person. Between dinner and breakfast, I suspect the 4 of us will eat at least the equivalent of half our room rate in food! We have a nice 2-room suite with 2 TV's, and the senior rate is $128 a night. Very clean, and very friendly and accommodating staff.

If anyone is needing transportation from Houston to Galveston or vice versa, feel free to contact me at sbailey05@hotmail.com or (979)324-8910. I can save you money by charging one flat fee and not per person. I am a licensed TNC driver in Houston. I would be happy to make your trip as convenient and easy as possible.

Stephen