No more door organizers

javafish

I always hang on to those great little zipper bags things like pillow cases and curtains come in to use for storage. One for make up, one for meds, one for toiletries, one for camera/battery cords. I stack them on the shelves in the bathroom and the TV unit. Piece of cake and one less thing to 'set up' so I can enjoy my cruise.

Maybe if people would stop leaving so much stuff behind ( like the 1$ organizers, the excessive decorations) for the stewards to clean up, Carnival wouldn't have to have set forth new policies.

File this with, "OMG...Starbuck's cups are solid red this holiday season!!"

All this over a hanging shoe organizer? Seriously, people?

Especially when that's not even what the FAQs say. It says it has to be fire retardant, and seems to be referring to door decorations. Also, that the can't damage the doors and I don't know about anyone else, but I generally go into things with the assumption that I shouldn't damage anything.

As for why some like them...four women in one cabin for a week. Nope. Not enough room.

Love my over the door hanger and will not travel without it.

I am on the pro door hanger side. I always travel with one. But mine isn't an "over the door" kind. So I will just bring 3M poster strips and hang it, as I always do, from one of the hooks in the bathroom but I'll be sure to use the poster strip on the bottom to keep it from swinging. If I'm told I can't do this...no problem...the world won't come to an end. But I sure do hope this method works as I love being organized and I never have enough counter space in the bathroom. But that's just me. Some people travel light some don't..it's a choice we have. It's not a deal breaker for me at all.

I have to say it is confusing about the fire retardant part. Why does it really matter? All your clothing inside the cabin isn't fire retardant. Neither are the robes they have hanging in the room. Nor any of the papers they leave hanging inside or on the bed, none of the sheets, comforters, etc.

What is the deal about fire retardant when it comes to the organizer? And, as others have said, how is the steward going to know it is fire retardant? Mine does go over the door, but the hooks are very thin and do not damage. I actually put some material around them so they wouldn't damage anything.

I have to say that I am finding the whole organizer thing very strange and not sure what the big deal is with Carnival about using one?

I have to say it is confusing about the fire retardant part. Why does it really matter? All your clothing inside the cabin isn't fire retardant. Neither are the robes they have hanging in the room. Nor any of the papers they leave hanging inside or on the bed, none of the sheets, comforters, etc.

What is the deal about fire retardant when it comes to the organizer? And, as others have said, how is the steward going to know it is fire retardant? Mine does go over the door, but the hooks are very thin and do not damage. I actually put some material around them so they wouldn't damage anything.

I have to say that I am finding the whole organizer thing very strange and not sure what the big deal is with Carnival about using one?

If I used one, I would not worry about it and just keep bringing it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If I used one, I would not worry about it and just keep bringing it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

That is what I thought, but I was just trying to wrap me head around why it had to be fire retardant. Guess I am overthinking it. :D

That is what I thought, but I was just trying to wrap me head around why it had to be fire retardant. Guess I am overthinking it. :D

And nothing could be used for decorating a cabin door. I'll get heavy duty command strips and hang my door organizer.

The only type of organizer I ever used has been a roll up toiletry bag that could then be hung up from a hook. I always then hung it on the bathroom hook. Soft material so it doesn't scratch anything, since it isn't over the door then I guess I am still good.

Though we sometimes have decorated our doors when sailing at holidays and its a big thing on Disney (everyone has magnets made etc for their doors). I have always cleaned my door off the last evening, never left my decorations for the staff to remove.

Based on the link provided above, here's what I read:

Over-the-door hanging organizers may only be used if they are fire retardant and do not damage the door. (Must hang inside the stateroom)

This is NOT a ban on the organizers. It just sets the criteria for their use.

With this information, it looks like we can still use ours in the manner that we do. Now back to your regular programming. :D

I think Carnival must be using the wrong term when they specify "over-the-door organizers" since they also say they have to hang INSIDE the cabin. Have you ever seen one of these outside the cabin? I mean I'm not going to store my hand lotion, binoculars, sunglasses, scarf, gloves, book, etc., OUTSIDE my cabin!!!:eek:

Kathy?

I'll have to see if I can find a link, but I have one that I bought a few years ago from QVC and the organizer has a hanger style hook on it and can be hung in a closet as well as a hook on a bathroom door etc. I especially liked this one on Princess because they have the closets outside the bathroom in the balcony cabins.

But this would still be a good solution. I would think you would still be able to use an organizer like this, maybe not over the door, but in a closet or on a hook.

Does anyone know if there are hooks on the bathroom doors?

The organizer I use is maybe 12" x 24", maybe. It has various sizes of small clear zipped pockets.

I keep nail clippers, small scissors, band aids, Q-Tips, makeup, tweezers, etc. It really takes up very little room in a suitcase.

Most of the stuff stays in there from trip to trip, and I replenish items as needed. It's always packed and ready to go.

Most people seem to think it's about not having enough room in the BR. It's not. For me it's about being organized.

I understand some don't get it. That's fine. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Never needed one..plenty of storage, IMO!

Yes, there are drawers and places to keep things, but the reason I LOVE using the over the door hanger is to keep the "Tall" bottles of aloe and spray suntan lotion ... on some ships they are too "tall" to be kept in the bathroom cabinets, and I don't want them (especially the aloe) in drawers as they can leak. Also, the organizers take up vertually NO room in a suitcase, and they are see-thru so it just makes things easier!

I'm glad this issue got "solved" and Carnival is allowing these!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude :)

Yes, there are drawers and places to keep things, but the reason I LOVE using the over the door hanger is to keep the "Tall" bottles of aloe and spray suntan lotion ... on some ships they are too "tall" to be kept in the bathroom cabinets, and I don't want them (especially the aloe) in drawers as they can leak. Also, the organizers take up vertually NO room in a suitcase, and they are see-thru so it just makes things easier!

I'm glad this issue got "solved" and Carnival is allowing these!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude :)

Carnival has decided to allow the over the door storage, contrary to previous reports???

The organizer I use is maybe 12" x 24", maybe. It has various sizes of small clear zipped pockets.

I keep nail clippers, small scissors, band aids, Q-Tips, makeup, tweezers, etc. It really takes up very little room in a suitcase.

Most of the stuff stays in there from trip to trip, and I replenish items as needed. It's always packed and ready to go.

Most people seem to think it's about not having enough room in the BR. It's not. For me it's about being organized.

I understand some don't get it. That's fine. ;)

I get it. I never used one until a few cruises ago and it was fantastic to see where everything was at a glance. Toothpaste, glasses, lotion, deodorant, pills, sewing kit, brush, tissue, just EVERYTHING.

Never quite understood the need for over the door organizers. Just one more thing to pack and bring. The bathroom shelves have plenty of room for necessities such as toothbrush, toothpaste, things you need for bathing and shower etc. Hair grooming items and makeup can be kept in the vanity/desk drawers or on the desktop. That's near where the hair dryer is located and there is an outlet to plug in hair appliances (curling iron, etc.).

Growing up in a large family sharing one bathroom taught me that bathrooms are for bathroom duties only - use of toilet, sink and tub/shower. Any primping, makeup, hair drying and styling can be done in the bedroom. That way the bathroom is available for those needing the bathroom fixtures.

I didnt grow up in a large family. But I agree with you. I am always the first one in the shower. Usually it is just me, DS and DH in the room. When I am doing my hair/make up, I am out in the room and giving the other travelers I am with the opportunity to shower. I have never taken the door organizer and never will. I already have too much that I have to pack anyway between the three of us.

I can't believe the audacity of Carnival to stipulate what can or cannot be brought on their ships, applied to their fixtures or utilized in their cabins.

I know whenever I go to my in-laws, I drag my hiking boots across their floor even though they have asked me to remove them at the door, put my feet up on their furniture and slam their room doors open and closed when I go through them. Who are they to tell me what to do in their home since I am supporting their daughter and grandkids?

Straight off the Carnival site.We hang ours off the bathroom door never had a problem.

We recognize some of our guests like to decorate their staterooms and we, too, love seeing your creative decorations. However, for safety reasons, we must ask that you abide by the following guidelines for decorating your stateroom door as well as the interior of your stateroom.

Only use fire retardant materials

Decorations may only be placed on the stateroom door and not the surrounding frame, walls or railings.

To affix materials to your stateroom door, you may use magnets and Command Strips.

Do not use adhesives such as tape or glue that will leave residue.

Over-the-door hanging organizers may only be used if they are fire retardant and do not damage the door. (Must hang inside the stateroom.)

No decorations of any kind on balconies.

No string lights of any kind.

Important: If decorations are deemed to be a fire hazard or unsafe, they will be removed.

We thank you for your understanding and cooperation.