Does this seem excessive for single supplement?

perditax

Constellation 12/13 is advertising $299 / inside. Somehow by check out that turns into about $957 for one passenger. Doesn't that seem in excess of %100 supplement? It's a full $200 more than the checkout price with 2 people. I understand how these things work, just need a sanity check on the math.

No included extras.

Edited by perditax

Constellation 12/13 is advertising $299 / inside. Somehow by check out that turns into about $957 for one passenger. Doesn't that seem in excess of %100 supplement? It's a full $200 more than the checkout price with 2 people. I understand how these things work, just need a sanity check on the math.

No included extras.

Sometimes solo's don't get the pick of all categories on the website. So the ad may be for the lowest class inside cabin, but that category may be sold out and therefore they are selling the next level, or it isn't for sale as a solo.

The website also doesn't always deal properly with solos and GTY cabins.

Also, I just looked at that sailing, and I see a $299 for ocean view, but inside start at $379.

Another possibility is the $299 cabin is an accessible cabin, and if you don't search for and qualify for Accessible, you won't see it return either.

At what part of the reservation process did you notice the fare move from $299pp ($598 cabin fare)?

The 12/13 Connie cruise is on the Xciting Deals page. Prices effective 11/10, 11/11 with 150% single supplement. I would recommend you call your TA or Celebrity to get a "real" price.

OV - $349

CC - $499

AQ - $549

Using the website sometimes gives very wrong pricing for solos and ignores Xciting Deals pricing. Phone works best here.

The 12/13 Connie cruise is on the Xciting Deals page. Prices effective 11/10, 11/11 with 150% single supplement. I would recommend you call your TA or Celebrity to get a "real" price.

OV - $349

CC - $499

AQ - $549

Using the website sometimes gives very wrong pricing for solos and ignores Xciting Deals pricing. Phone works best here.

Thank you, this is extremely helpful.

OV - $349

CC - $499

AQ - $549

Okay, this post had me questioning my sanity, so I called Celeb, which was still giving me very high prices, and I realized that I made a typo in my original post. The cruise I'm pricing is the December 7th Connie, not the 12th. (I'm actually on the sailing on the 13th of eclipse, hence my typo).

The sailing on the SEVENTH still seems to have insanely high solo supplements, at least through the website. A $419/PP OV cabin becomes $1200 at checkout. I think he quoted me something like $1500 for balcony.

Sorry for the confusion. (I am toying with the idea of taking the connie on the seventh, spending the night with friends on florida on the 12th, then jumping on eclipse, but I can't justify these solo supplement costs.)

Edited by perditax

No included extras.

I Am sure you did not have the opportunity to call them yet, but when you do, please let us know the results.

bon voyage

I Am sure you did not have the opportunity to call them yet, but when you do, please let us know the results.

bon voyage

I did call them, but I was distracted during the call and I didn't write the specific numbers down. I do remember being quoted a balcony for well over a thousand for one person.

Sorry for not having better details, I was at work and also reading this thread and confusing myself before it clicked that I was asking him for the dates on the 7th, while the prices someone quoted upthread (which I cannot find the source for) are for, I think the sailing on the 12th. (In my OP I said 12/13, but I don't think there's a Connie sailing on the 13th.)

If I end up with time to call again before the end of the day I'll report back.

Short version:

--There may be good solo deals for the sailing on the Connie on the TWELFTH, but they do not show up on the website. I did not inquire about this sailing on the phone, because it overlaps with my Eclipse cruise.

--There do not appear to be good solo deals for the sailing on the SEVENTH, even on the phone; or at least the prices I recall hearing were well in excess of the prices in post #4.

Okay, this post had me questioning my sanity, so I called Celeb, which was still giving me very high prices, and I realized that I made a typo in my original post. The cruise I'm pricing is the December 7th Connie, not the 12th. (I'm actually on the sailing on the 13th of eclipse, hence my typo).

The sailing on the SEVENTH still seems to have insanely high solo supplements, at least through the website. A $419/PP OV cabin becomes $1200 at checkout. I think he quoted me something like $1500 for balcony.

Sorry for the confusion. (I am toying with the idea of taking the connie on the seventh, spending the night with friends on florida on the 12th, then jumping on eclipse, but I can't justify these solo supplement costs.)

One thing that has thrown the figures out on the website for me is that when pricing as double occupancy it gives the headline price as a Guarantee cabin and a lower rate. When it's priced as a single lo and behold the GTY rate isn't available to single occupancy travellers and the price shoots up. Not sure if this is the case for you on this one or not. The no show option given above in the second post is on my mind for these occasions too!

Phil

One thing that has thrown the figures out on the website for me is that when pricing as double occupancy it gives the headline price as a Guarantee cabin and a lower rate. When it's priced as a single lo and behold the GTY rate isn't available to single occupancy travellers and the price shoots up. Not sure if this is the case for you on this one or not. The no show option given above in the second post is on my mind for these occasions too!

Phil

Good catch. As of my original post, X site was not showing me GTY for one pax only. As of now, they are, and so is the bulk store, which an identical final checkout price of around $657 for inside GTY (vs. the nearly $1k before).

I'm still new to cruising and I haven't tangled with GTY yet. Will see. :)

Believe me, I've noted all your posts about no-show. ;) I understand the point of single supplement, right up until the time I have to pay MORE than twice as much.

Edited by perditax

My apologies. The prices I showed were for the Eclipse on 12/13 - the date mentioned in the original post. The Connie is definitely 12/12. (I only looked at the date, not the ship. :()

I can attest to the fact that it is always better to call about solo pricing, especially if you are booking with BBB. The website does not reflect true pricing for solos. I know, because most of my bookings are solo. The 200% supplement is a killer.

My apologies. The prices I showed were for the Eclipse on 12/13 - the date mentioned in the original post. The Connie is definitely 12/12. (I only looked at the date, not the ship. :()

I can attest to the fact that it is always better to call about solo pricing, especially if you are booking with BBB. The website does not reflect true pricing for solos. I know, because most of my bookings are solo. The 200% supplement is a killer.

Haha, double ouch then, you don't want to know how much I paid for a solo AQ on the ECLIPSE 12/13 sailing. :)

Sorry again for spreading confusion.

You have to book for two to get a guarantee cabin. You can later drop the second person from what I was told. Call captain's Club, my travel agent said no when i asked if he could book it.

My TA once said no, but she called and they booked it for her once I pressed her to do so.

It does need a phone call though, they can't do it on the computer.

Not to confuse the issue further, but several of these sailings we are discussing (12/7 Connie, 12/12 Connie, 12/13 Eclipse) WILL let me select a GTY booking on several categories. I have seen GTY with 1 pax for (off top of head) inside and AQ today. I have seen this both via X and the bulk store's site. This is a direct online thing, no TA/X intervention.

That said--there was a time on the 12/13 Eclipse sailing where I could NOT see GTY prices with 1 pax, so maybe they open them up later.

Remember, still new at this, and thanks for everyone's patience.

(The backstory here:

I booked a solo AQ2 on Eclipse 12/13 some months ago. (I'm not going to torture myself on the price I paid back then, and no upgrades, at least today, because all suites are sold out). This is a five day sailing.

Since that time, I underwent ... a considerable ... amount of stress at work, and have been considering a longer trip.

I was already staying with friends in SoFla the night of 12/12, so I have a possible scheme in mind: ALSO book a cheap inside on the Connie 12/7 sailing. At the end of that cruise, I would have those friends pick me up at Port Everglades on the 12th (original plan had them picking me up at FLL that day), stay with them that night, have them drive me to PoM on the 13th for the Eclipse sailing (which they were already doing anyway).

I'm flying Southwest to FL, so I can change the first flight with no problem.

Basically, I could make this plan happen pretty easily, and it would be an interesting opportunity to not only evaluate X (which I've never been on), but to rapidly evaluate two different ships and cabin categories. I'm just kind of waiting to see if I can really get away from work that long, while keeping one eye on the solo supplement prices on that sailing.)