Please help!

Hi. I havent been on either class yet, although going on sistr ship Indy over NYE but I can tell you, kids or no kids, I would rather keep my same cabin for two weeks if doing a B2B. Why pack and unpack when you dont really need to do so. If you want to save money, get a different balcony option otherwise just bidget in the cost of staying in an ocean view balcony.

Let us know what you decide.

Our experience has been just the opposite. We've never been able to change rooms on any of our Disney cruises, because they told us they were sold out. I ran the official port data for Disney and according to that they average 147% of rated capacity, which would put their average at about 3,700 passengers. Their maximum SOLAS capacity is 4,000, so I guess technically if they don't hit 4,000, they don't sell out. BTW, the 3/6/16 Freedom cruise is right in the peak timeframe for college spring break here in Florida, and cruises are becoming popular break choices. I expect that one to be quite active since it visits St. Thomas and they can bring back 6 litres of booze each :eek:

Yikes, I didn't realize the Spring break was the beginning of March. Thanks for the heads up! What kind of crowd is usually on the Allure? Is their a lot young ones that like to party? I have nothing against it, but like to know. I'm used to the "Disney" crowd, and it's always been pretty quiet.

Hi. I havent been on either class yet, although going on sistr ship Indy over NYE but I can tell you, kids or no kids, I would rather keep my same cabin for two weeks if doing a B2B. Why pack and unpack when you dont really need to do so. If you want to save money, get a different balcony option otherwise just bidget in the cost of staying in an ocean view balcony.

Let us know what you decide.

I agree 100% except the DH wants the balcony room, and I don't really care. I begged him to come, so I agreed to change rooms for the 2nd cruise so he could get his balcony. Originally, before he was coming, and my friend was coming with me with her 2 girls I had the same room for both cruises on the Freedom.

She had to back out which left me alone with the boys.

To sail the 2nd cruise on the Allure and to stay in the same room would have cost me over $1000 more. Ive done B2B's before and have moved rooms without issues. I'm so organized that it's not hard for me to quickly pack up and move.

If anything, because I'm such a clean freak, the only thing I don't like is I have to take the time to go through the 2nd room to "re clean everything" I bring my disinfecting wipes and clean all surfaces, ligh switches, remote control, door handles, bathroom etc...yes, I'm a bit OCD with germs. But I tell ya, whoever gets my cabin after me is a lucky one cause everything has been cleaned for them!

My daughter says Kid's Club has multiple groups doing different things at once. You can be active or still, loud or quiet, play alone or in groups, whatever. They have dance parties, video games, crafts, movies, and other things.

Generally, the club charges after 10pm, but they can stay until 1am or later on some nights/ships if you pay.

I do believe they have to be 9 to self checkout, but as far as age groups, the enforcement is hit or miss. I've seen them allow significantly younger siblings to go up. And I've seem them refuse for kids who missed the cutoff by a couple of weeks.

My daughter says Kid's Club has multiple groups doing different things at once. You can be active or still, loud or quiet, play alone or in groups, whatever. They have dance parties, video games, crafts, movies, and other things.

Generally, the club charges after 10pm, but they can stay until 1am or later on some nights/ships if you pay.

I do believe they have to be 9 to self checkout, but as far as age groups, the enforcement is hit or miss. I've seen them allow significantly younger siblings to go up. And I've seem them refuse for kids who missed the cutoff by a couple of weeks.

It sounds like fun! My 6 yr old will love it and I think my 8yr old will as well. I will be cruising March 6th-20th and my son turns 9 on the 30th. I cross my fingers he can join the older ones. He loves being in the older group vs the younger one. He's a very very mature 8yr old.

"PIF" is Paid In Full...

Thank you for explaining the process of booking shows. We don't always see the shows, but I will make a point to take the kids to most if not all of them, especially the Aquatheatre show.

As for dining, I love the "my time" vs scheduled seating like on Disney. I love the freedom and not always having to look at my watch!

Ah ok. No, you don't need to pay in full....just need to have a booking (you'll just have to give a small deposit) and then you can sign up for things when they are available. These include entertainment and dining as discussed, beverage packages, excursions, character dining which your kids may like, spa packages, internet, etc.

Yeah, my time makes things very flexible. It's our first time trying it, but I do like the idea.

Edited by LuCruise

Ah ok. No, you don't need to pay in full....just need to have a booking (you'll just have to give a small deposit) and then you can sign up for things when they are available. These include entertainment and dining as discussed, beverage packages, excursions, character dining which your kids may like, spa packages, internet, etc.

Yeah, my time makes things very flexible. It's our first time trying it, but I do like the idea.

Got it, thanks! I like that you can book things even before the PIF date:)

I'm going in March before you, so I can help you out as well with any questions you may have while I'm on the ship (if i pick the Allure) to be honest, I'm leaning towards the Allure, a lot!!

Got it, thanks! I like that you can book things even before the PIF date:)

I'm going in March before you, so I can help you out as well with any questions you may have while I'm on the ship (if i pick the Allure) to be honest, I'm leaning towards the Allure, a lot!!

Thanks so much. The Allure looks amazing. I did lots of research myself before booking and my kids are similar ages to yours (6.5 and 10.5 when we travel). Looks great for them and as a family as a whole.

Some do live reports or post reports here that are really helpful to give you an idea. It's fun to follow along while waiting for your own cruise.

I do have a few questions about Labadee if someone wouldn't mind answering them?

I had assumed most things on the Island was included, but I'm reading a lot of things are not. I had no idea you had to pay for the water slide, the aqua park area, and the Dragon coaster thing (forget what it's called)

Are these worth the money? It seems quite expensive to do them all including the zip lining. I was aware the ziplining has a charge, and my DH and my son will do it, but the other things on top of that add up quick.

For those that have done these, or 1 of them I would love to hear your comments on whether you liked it or didn't?

My 6yr old isn't tall enough for the waterslide, but my 8yr is and he wants to do it. We all wanted to try the coaster thing, and both my boys would love to do the aqua park inflatable toys.

Also, is their somewhere to purchase snorkel equipment (for rent) my DH and 8yr old love to snorkel.

Im honestly quite shocked how many things cost money on the island.

Thanks so much. The Allure looks amazing. I did lots of research myself before booking and my kids are similar ages to yours (6.5 and 10.5 when we travel). Looks great for them and as a family as a whole.

Some do live reports or post reports here that are really helpful to give you an idea. It's fun to follow along while waiting for your own cruise.

It does look amazing! I'm still shocked at myself that I'm considering booking the largest cruise ship in the world..lol

On the Disney ships, the Magic is my favourite, but it has a lot to do with the crew as well. Wonder is my 2nd fav, and then Dream then Fantasy.

I've been reading lots of trip reports etc and have learned a lot!

They will love the Disney ships! I got hooked after my first one, but being Canadian means Disney is beginning to price me out! With the exchange rate I can't justify the prices of their cruises. RCL I can pay in Canadian dollars and save thousands! Plus, we want to switch it up and try something new!

Just wanted to point out a big difference between RCCL and Disney. I have 3 boys and we went on NCL in Jan. We are set to RCCL in Feb and I have discovered that both NCL and RCCL have closing times throughout the day for their kids club. One of my favorite things about Disney is the ability to take the kids to the club and come back and get them when we are ready or when Disney called us to say they were ready. My husband and I noticed that on NCL we would drop the boys off and get settled in for some relaxing or gym time. By the time we were really enjoying ourselves, boom one of us would have to leave to get the kids. They weren't ready to leave either. RCCL is the same as NCL in this regards. Also they charge after 10pm. Just something I wanted to point out to you as a big difference from Disney. Don't want to discourage you. We loved our NCL and the ship was way better than the Disney ships as far as activities for our boys. We are excited about our upcoming RCL trip. I just wish I had realized this fact, before getting on board. Enjoy, I am sure your boys will. One other thing, they divide their kids club by ages. Ages 6,8 and together, but 9 year olds are in a different club. Don't know when your boys birthdays are, but something else to think about that is different than Disney.

Funny you say that because I had considered doing the Freedom then Disney Dream or Magic or the Allure and Disney Wonder, but the prices are so high on the Disney ships, and the rate exchange just kills me cause I'm Canadian.

I've never sailed any other line, but I don't know if I want to try Carnival. NCL, maybe...I'm not good with change..lol

My kids prefer water slides as well, so I'm looking at the Harmony of he Seas for next Oct or Nov.

We took our boys on the Getaway on NCL. The ship is awesome. We all loved the obstacle course and the ship has a ton of water slides. Just throwing that one out. After my cruise in Feb on Independence I am going to compare Disney Dream, NCL Getaway, and Independence as I will have been on the three of them within 15 month of each other. I can already compare Disney and NCL and they both have their advantages and disadvantages. Depends on your priorities.

Just wanted to point out a big difference between RCCL and Disney. I have 3 boys and we went on NCL in Jan. We are set to RCCL in Feb and I have discovered that both NCL and RCCL have closing times throughout the day for their kids club. One of my favorite things about Disney is the ability to take the kids to the club and come back and get them when we are ready or when Disney called us to say they were ready. My husband and I noticed that on NCL we would drop the boys off and get settled in for some relaxing or gym time. By the time we were really enjoying ourselves, boom one of us would have to leave to get the kids. They weren't ready to leave either. RCCL is the same as NCL in this regards. Also they charge after 10pm. Just something I wanted to point out to you as a big difference from Disney. Don't want to discourage you. We loved our NCL and the ship was way better than the Disney ships as far as activities for our boys. We are excited about our upcoming RCL trip. I just wish I had realized this fact, before getting on board. Enjoy, I am sure your boys will. One other thing, they divide their kids club by ages. Ages 6,8 and together, but 9 year olds are in a different club. Don't know when your boys birthdays are, but something else to think about that is different than Disney.

Thank you for pointing these out. I did read about the kids clubs, and their hours. I wasn't happy about it, but I brushed it off cause I can't do anything about it:(

I do get what you're saying though...seeing most blocks are only a few hours a time, I don't want to get too comfy In whatever I'm doing.

My son won't be 7 until Sept, but my 8 yr old will be 9 March 30th and we cruise from March 6-20th. I'm hoping my 8 yr old can join the 9 and up group cause he's a very mature 8 yr old.

Do you know the age they can check themselves out? On Disney it's 8, and my son loves it. I haven't been able to find the info about RCL.

We took our boys on the Getaway on NCL. The ship is awesome. We all loved the obstacle course and the ship has a ton of water slides. Just throwing that one out. After my cruise in Feb on Independence I am going to compare Disney Dream, NCL Getaway, and Independence as I will have been on the three of them within 15 month of each other. I can already compare Disney and NCL and they both have their advantages and disadvantages. Depends on your priorities.

Hmmm...I never did look into any other lines other then RCL and Disney. I've sailed on all 4 of the Disney ships and have done 11 cruises on them in less then 2 yrs lol...I got hooked after my first cruise.

I think I'm gonna check out NCL. I would love to hear more of you get time:

Thanks!

Thank you for pointing these out. I did read about the kids clubs, and their hours. I wasn't happy about it, but I brushed it off cause I can't do anything about it:(

I do get what you're saying though...seeing most blocks are only a few hours a time, I don't want to get too comfy In whatever I'm doing.

My son won't be 7 until Sept, but my 8 yr old will be 9 March 30th and we cruise from March 6-20th. I'm hoping my 8 yr old can join the 9 and up group cause he's a very mature 8 yr old.

Do you know the age they can check themselves out? On Disney it's 8, and my son loves it. I haven't been able to find the info about RCL.

Not sure about the check-out policy, but our grandson was a few weeks shy of his 12th birthday the last time we took him on Freedom, and they let him join the 12-14 YO group. The last time we took his 7 year old brother on Enchantment, I do not remember there being any blocks where the clubs were closed. They have blocks of focused activity throughout the day, but we dropped him off in the morning and didn't see him again until dinner.

Funny you say that because I had considered doing the Freedom then Disney Dream or Magic or the Allure and Disney Wonder, but the prices are so high on the Disney ships, and the rate exchange just kills me cause I'm Canadian.

I've never sailed any other line, but I don't know if I want to try Carnival. NCL, maybe...I'm not good with change..lol

My kids prefer water slides as well, so I'm looking at the Harmony of he Seas for next Oct or Nov.

This was one of our big factors for choosing Allure vs Fantasy. The fact that us Canadians can pay in CAD with Royal is huge as we know upfront the cost....ignoring extras of course (Also in hindsight I think my DS would actaully prefer Dreamworks characters to Disney as he's geting to that age where Mickey is a bit young, but he loves Shrek, Madagascar, etc)

One things I wanted to point out....Not sure if you've taken a look at the Canadian post (still in Royal thread), but you can purchase OBC at 1.1% exchange rate. It's an amazing deal considering the exchange is so much worse now.

Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2159570&highlight=canadian+cruisers

Edited by LuCruise

What did u like better? Disney Dream or NCL Getaway?

This was one of our big factors for choosing Allure vs Fantasy. The fact that us Canadians can pay in CAD with Royal is huge as we know upfront the cost....ignoring extras of course (Also in hindsight I think my DS would actaully prefer Dreamworks characters to Disney as he's geting to that age where Mickey is a bit young, but he loves Shrek, Madagascar, etc)

One things I wanted to point out....Not sure if you've taken a look at the Canadian post (still in Royal thread), but you can purchase OBC at 1.1% exchange rate. It's an amazing deal considering the exchange is so much worse now.

Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2159570&highlight=canadian+cruisers

I can't believe how much money I saved paying in Canadian dollars. I'm kinda sad I'm not doing Disney cause it's like my "home" but I'm happy to literally save thousands, and I'm excited to try something new!

I did read about that, but didn't pay much attention. But now that you've brought it up, and I'm most likely booking thr Allure, I will take full advantage of that! That's an awesome deal! Thanks LuCruise:)

Not sure about the check-out policy, but our grandson was a few weeks shy of his 12th birthday the last time we took him on Freedom, and they let him join the 12-14 YO group. The last time we took his 7 year old brother on Enchantment, I do not remember there being any blocks where the clubs were closed. They have blocks of focused activity throughout the day, but we dropped him off in the morning and didn't see him again until dinner.

I hope that's the case for my son and he's allowed to join the older ones!

Thanks for your info:)

I did read that the Allure has blocks of time that the club is open. I'm not happy about it, but honestly, we love to spend time with our kids, and if they can't go to the clubs then we can do other fun things together!

I'm cruising alone my 2nd week and I hate being by myself, so I will welcome the company from my 2 boys.

I hope that's the case for my son and he's allowed to join the older ones!

Thanks for your info:)

I did read that the Allure has blocks of time that the club is open. I'm not happy about it, but honestly, we love to spend time with our kids, and if they can't go to the clubs then we can do other fun things together!

I'm cruising alone my 2nd week and I hate being by myself, so I will welcome the company from my 2 boys.

Don't know if this will help because we've never taken our grandsons on Oasis or Allure ( yet :) ), but I found the 12-14 YO kids compasses from our last Freedom cruise, and on sea days the clubs were open continuously from 10AM to 6PM, then open again from 8PM to 1AM. The day we were in St Maartan, they were open from 9:30-10:30, and then from Noon-6Pm, and then 8PM to 1AM.

Don't know if this will help because we've never taken our grandsons on Oasis or Allure ( yet :) ), but I found the 12-14 YO kids compasses from our last Freedom cruise, and on sea days the clubs were open continuously from 10AM to 6PM, then open again from 8PM to 1AM. The day we were in St Maartan, they were open from 9:30-10:30, and then from Noon-6Pm, and then 8PM to 1AM.

Great thanks!

Fingers crossed its like that on the Allure!

Btw...I still haven't decided lol..

I'm back and forth and driving myself crazy!

Thank you to all who has helped me:)

Things have changed quite a bit since I last posted, not for the bad though!

My DH told me he would rather do a land vacation vs a cruise cause we just got off the Disney Wonder, 14 night Panama Canal cruise on Nov 7th. He said he wanted to "switch things up"

So, now we're looking at doing 7 or 8 nights all inclusive to Jamaica, then he flys home to Toronto, and I fly to Florida solo with the 2 boys and do a 1 week cruise instead of a B2B.

Now, I'm going back and forth from the Freedom or Allure. If I do the Freedom, I would fly into MCO and stay a night in a hotel and then head to the ship or I fly into FLL, stay a night at a hotel and then head to the ship.

I'm planning on 3 or 4 nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge after the cruise, so the Freedom would be closer since it's out of PC.

Or...if I sail the Allure, I have to hire transportation to get back to Orlando which is a longer drive then if I sail of of PC. I won't rent a car cause I have a phobia of driving in cities I'm not familiar with.

So, fire away! What would you do??

Also, anyone have any suggestions of really nice All inclusive resorts in Jamaica. Right now I'm looking at the Jewel Runaway Bay.

Cheers!

That sounds amazing too...and a great variety for you and the kids.

I'd look closer into transportation from PC to Animal Kingdom Lodge and also FLL to Animal Kingdom Lodge and see if PC is much easier for you....especially as DH isn't joining you. If so, Freedom also looks super kid-friendly.

Again, it's a "problem" I wish I had ...lol.

You can try posting on the Florida boards about transportation options.

Good luck...let us know.