Passport book vs passport card?

o2bndair

I am cruising on Norwegian Dawn to the Caribbean on Jan 24. Will my passport card suffice or do I need my passport book?

The passport card is only good for land crossings and closed loop cruises from American ports. A passport is a better investment in the long term. Even an Alaska cruise from Seattle recommends that you have a passport . If you medvaced to a foreign port. You'll require a passport to get home.

The passport card is only good for land crossings and closed loop cruises from American ports. A passport is a better investment in the long term. Even an Alaska cruise from Seattle recommends that you have a passport . If you medvaced to a foreign port. You'll require a passport to get home.

The passport card is also good for open jaw sailings within the WHTI, not that there are too many of them anymore.

OP, it sounds like you have both and want to leave your passport behind. If you do I suggest you leave it with a trusted relative or friend that can overnight it to you should you need it.

The card is ok, but if something were to happen you could not fly home. The book is a much safer choice.

6&8

Safer how? One is not in danger when traveling without a passport. All a passport does is minimize delay in returning to the US by air and even with a passport the delay can be several days.

Safer how? One is not in danger when traveling without a passport. All a passport does is minimize delay in returning to the US by air and even with a passport the delay can be several days.

I think they meant safe in terms of safer bet for a quick return in an emergency. I can't imagine finding out a close relative (parent/sibling/adult-child) was in the ICU or near death and being stuck waiting on a passport to be reissued or fedexed or something.

I am cruising on Norwegian Dawn to the Caribbean on Jan 24. Will my passport card suffice or do I need my passport book?

Since you have both, take the passport book since then if there's some emergency and you have to fly home you'll be able to do so much more easily.