Carnival/Barclay is really making me angry

dogchopper

So back in July my husband received an card in the mail from the barclay carnival card. It said book a cruise between July 7th and Aug 31st and pay for it with your Barclay card and receive 10% off. So we did. In fact I booked a second one (a sister cruise) and put it on the card also.

We didn't get a credit on our statement. We called and they said we had to wait for the promotion to be over. So we waited.. Called again in september.. were told wait till next statemet. We its November and its still not on there.

My husband called yesterday. They told him it was a carival thing and carnival would have to issue the credit. Of course i call carnival and they say its a Barclay thing and they would have to issue the credit.

Now Im getting angry. this all rings familiar because last year I booked a cruise and got a pop up that said Id get 50.00 off if I paid with the barclay card. I went around around with them both and never got that one.

I see history repeating itself. If I do not get this refund I am cutting up this card and seriously thinking about looking into Royal Caribbiean. Maybe they offer promotions that they actually stand behind!!

With all due respect, I do feel your pain and I would be upset also.

However, Sales and promotions are designed to do 1 thing only,,, increase revenue.

Might want to consider not biting on every promotion.

I know this will go over wrong and it's not my intention, however, couldn't figure out how to be PC

However, Sales and promotions are designed to do 1 thing only,,, increase revenue.

I know this will go over wrong and it's not my intention, however, couldn't figure out how to be PC

Well, we didn't book the cruises because of the promotion. We were planning on booking them anyways. One is an anniversary cruise and well the other is a sister cruise so... We probably would have not put them on the card, would of paid them off cash. But we figured hey, we get points and we will get a discount so we put them on the card. Not gonna happen again.

You have to keep bothering Barclay again and again. We booked under a similar promotion once and the credit didn't show up. I called and called--sometimes three times a day to get a different rep. In addition, I would ask if there's not someone else I could talk to about this--and I kept insisting I was due the promotional credit. I talked to several "supervisors" over several weeks time and finally one of them said they would make sure my credit was applied. Of course, like you, it took another two statement cycles and more calls to "supervisors" and insisting that, "no no--I am due this credit and I expect to see it on the next statement" before it was actually posted. From January when it was "supposed to be automatic" to May, when it was actually posted, I continued to be persistent...and you too can get your credit if you keep trying.

I cut my card up after it took 7 months for them to remove fraudulent charges from my account. I spoke to at least 11 people about it until finally one guy fixed it. All that time interest was accruing and they had a heck of a time figuring out I wasn't going to pay that either. Horrible.

By the way, everyone there claims to be a supervisor.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

Let me see, promotions by Barclay's/ Carnival are designed to do 1 thing increase revenue, so its okay they lie to get that revenue? come on... its one thing to be a cheerleader for carnival, but to say you should not bite on a promotion, because carnival/Barclay might lie to you to make a profit. Give me a break, no company should be able to mislead a consumer..

You have to keep bothering Barclay again and again. We booked under a similar promotion once and the credit didn't show up. I called and called--sometimes three times a day to get a different rep. In addition, I would ask if there's not someone else I could talk to about this--and I kept insisting I was due the promotional credit. I talked to several "supervisors" over several weeks time and finally one of them said they would make sure my credit was applied. Of course, like you, it took another two statement cycles and more calls to "supervisors" and insisting that, "no no--I am due this credit and I expect to see it on the next statement" before it was actually posted. From January when it was "supposed to be automatic" to May, when it was actually posted, I continued to be persistent...and you too can get your credit if you keep trying.

That is encouraging. .. somewhat aggravating that you have to go thru that, but encouraging to know it works. I shall keep bugging them.

They said today they filed a claim and gave me a claim number. We shall see what happens from there.

You're owed credits for both promotions whether Barclays likes it or not. If you were promised perks during a promotion then you must receive them if you fulfilled the requirements of the promotional agreement.

If I were you I would send a professional e-mail to both the Barclay exec team and the Carnival exec team explaining the problem and your dissatisfaction with the broken agreement. Then file a BBB complaint and FTC complaint with the government.

I guarantee you will get a call from Carnival exec office within 48 hours (they're the best!) and a call from Barclay sometime after that. BBB and FTC will take a little longer but the info you submit will get sent to each company.

I hope you get this fixed soon!

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

Of course sales and promotions are supposed to increase revenue, but companies can not lie to get the sales.

To the OP, send a complaint in writing to Barclays and Carnival and copy those. Barclay has an official complaint address

Card Services

PO Box 8801

Wilmington, DE 19899-8801

Let me see, promotions by Barclay's/ Carnival are designed to do 1 thing increase revenue, so its okay they lie to get that revenue? come on... its one thing to be a cheerleader for carnival, but to say you should not bite on a promotion, because carnival/Barclay might lie to you to make a profit. Give me a break, no company should be able to mislead a consumer..

I didn't say it was Okay.

What I was saying was burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on me.

You're owed credits for both promotions whether Barclays likes it or not. If you were promised perks during a promotion then you must receive them if you fulfilled the requirements of the promotional agreement.

If I were you I would send a professional e-mail to both the Barclay exec team and the Carnival exec team explaining the problem and your dissatisfaction with the broken agreement. Then file a BBB complaint and FTC complaint with the government.

I guarantee you will get a call from Carnival exec office within 48 hours (they're the best!) and a call from Barclay sometime after that. BBB and FTC will take a little longer but the info you submit will get sent to each company.

I hope you get this fixed soon!

I didn't fight for the $50.00 credit I lost, but I do plan on it with this one. I do believe I will send do Carnival an email either way

Of course sales and promotions are supposed to increase revenue, but companies can not lie to get the sales.

To the OP, send a complaint in writing to Barclays and Carnival and copy those. Barclay has an official complaint address

Card Services

PO Box 8801

Wilmington, DE 19899-8801

Thanks, I wil do that!

Edited by dogchopper

Doesn't excuse Barclays not giving the OP the statement credit they're due.

They offer promos to draw people in and that's ok - but hold up to your end of the bargain. No excuse! Please. OP you can "bite" on any promo you choose. And the parties involved should keep their promise. Period point blank.

I had a Carnival MC about 10 years ago and got rid of it. Didn't find the benefits useful enough to keep. And I remembering NEVER getting the promo points they offered for the approval. Figured by now things would be better. That was a long time ago. Apparently not.

Edited by cruizinisthebest
typo

I would post a complaint about this to John Heald's blog or Facebook page. He is Carnival's Pr man and from what I've seen he takes things like this seriously and works to make it right.

If it isn't resolved next week with this 'claim' that is filed, I may just do that

We redeemed points for Carnival gift cards, it took two months and several phone calls to BOTH Carnival and Barclay's to finally get the gift cards. That was a year ago, still haven't used that card again, and probably never will. Just keep calling them, they're hoping you'll give up.

So back in July my husband received an card in the mail from the barclay carnival card. It said book a cruise between July 7th and Aug 31st and pay for it with your Barclay card and receive 10% off. So we did. In fact I booked a second one (a sister cruise) and put it on the card also.

We didn't get a credit on our statement. We called and they said we had to wait for the promotion to be over. So we waited.. Called again in september.. were told wait till next statemet. We its November and its still not on there.

My husband called yesterday. They told him it was a carival thing and carnival would have to issue the credit. Of course i call carnival and they say its a Barclay thing and they would have to issue the credit.

Now Im getting angry. this all rings familiar because last year I booked a cruise and got a pop up that said Id get 50.00 off if I paid with the barclay card. I went around around with them both and never got that one.

I see history repeating itself. If I do not get this refund I am cutting up this card and seriously thinking about looking into Royal Caribbiean. Maybe they offer promotions that they actually stand behind!!

Do you have a Discover card? I get 5% cashback on all cruises and excursions that I book on Carnival and Princess. On our upcoming cruise to Panama, 3 weeks after I booked with Discover travel, a 10% cash back promotion came up. I called Discover travel and they awarded us the 10% cash back. Not only that, we received $650 OBC. We've never had any trouble with the company and booking is really easy. We've done the Carnival CC thing years ago and didn't find it reliable so we cut the card up.

Do you have a Discover card? I get 5% cashback on all cruises and excursions that I book on Carnival and Princess. On our upcoming cruise to Panama, 3 weeks after I booked with Discover travel, a 10% cash back promotion came up. I called Discover travel and they awarded us the 10% cash back. Not only that, we received $650 OBC. We've never had any trouble with the company and booking is really easy. We've done the Carnival CC thing years ago and didn't find it reliable so we cut the card up.

Wow, no I don't have a discover card but maybe we will look into that one. Sounds like a better deal!

This is all sounding scary and I just applied for one. Also aren't they offering a $100 gift card as well. At least that is what it said in my e-mail. I haven't even gotten my yet and am thinking about cancelling it already.

Hopefully they will honor everything they offer you!!