12 year olds - cruising - teen club

ctrinco

Another FYI for 12 year olds is the cut-off to participate in certain activities without parent supervision (such as the Flowrider and ice skating) is 13, and it seems the ships are tightening up on that requirement as I have experienced the enforcement with my then 12 YO and witnessed it with others over the past year.

This means that, in addition to having to be present when they want to do these activities during the day, when the teen club has their teen ice skating and teen Flowrider events, you also have to be present for them to be allowed to participate. It definitely cramps their style when mom or dad has to sit there and watch them during the teen event. I basically went and acknowledged to the teen staff that I was there and then hid in plain sight as best I could. You'll also have to plan around it since those events are in the late evenings.

Crap. I hope this isn't the case when we sail in March. My son will be two weeks from his 13th birthday and more than capable of doing this stuff without us present.

Another FYI for 12 year olds is the cut-off to participate in certain activities without parent supervision (such as the Flowrider and ice skating) is 13, and it seems the ships are tightening up on that requirement as I have experienced the enforcement with my then 12 YO and witnessed it with others over the past year.

This means that, in addition to having to be present when they want to do these activities during the day, when the teen club has their teen ice skating and teen Flowrider events, you also have to be present for them to be allowed to participate. It definitely cramps their style when mom or dad has to sit there and watch them during the teen event. I basically went and acknowledged to the teen staff that I was there and then hid in plain sight as best I could. You'll also have to plan around it since those events are in the late evenings.

That wasn't the case with my 12yo this past Aug/Sept. I signed the waiver the first day and they gave her a bracelet. She was able to do the rock wall, Flowrider and ice skating without either of us there.

Edited by dcgrumpy

My son was 12/13 on B2B cruises earlier this year (his bday was on one of the ships). Every morning before he went to the club for the day, we would set a 1st meet up time - say 11:30 at Sorrentos. He knew there would be consequences for being late or not showing up. At that meeting, we would set the time and place for the next meet up and followed that pattern throughout the day. We generally connected every three hours or so. Worked like a charm. He knew if he abused the priviledge it would be no more club for him as well as consequences at home so he was very aware & usually early. LOL

Edited by Canadian Disney Mom

Crap. I hope this isn't the case when we sail in March. My son will be two weeks from his 13th birthday and more than capable of doing this stuff without us present.

On Navigator in March my son was still 12 and it was only the Teen club staff enforcing the rule during teen ice skate and teen Flowrider. He never had an issue being at the Flowrider during regular hours without me (although most of the time I was there with him anyway). But 2 weeks ago on Oasis I saw the Flowrider staff making anyone with a tender bracelet (12 and under) point out their parents before they were allowed to use it. Luckily my kid turned 13 in July.

On Navigator in March my son was still 12 and it was only the Teen club staff enforcing the rule during teen ice skate and teen Flowrider. He never had an issue being at the Flowrider during regular hours without me (although most of the time I was there with him anyway). But 2 weeks ago on Oasis I saw the Flowrider staff making anyone with a tender bracelet (12 and under) point out their parents before they were allowed to use it. Luckily my kid turned 13 in July.

My 12yo didn't have a tender bracelet on Indy. It was only for kids 11 and under. Maybe it varies by ship.

Not my experience at all on Quantum or Allure or on NCL Getaway. Once the waivers are all signed and the arm bands are given they are free to go to the activities by themselves. In fact people over the age of 18 even parents are not ALLOWED in the teen club.

They close down the arcade, the flow rider , the bumber cars and make it just for the kids in the teen club. Never ever have they looked for a parent to watch

What ship was that on and when?

Not my experience at all on Quantum or Allure or on NCL Getaway. Once the waivers are all signed and the arm bands are given they are free to go to the activities by themselves. In fact people over the age of 18 even parents are not ALLOWED in the teen club.

They close down the arcade, the flow rider , the bumber cars and make it just for the kids in the teen club. Never ever have they looked for a parent to watch

What ship was that on and when?

Navigator in March. It seems to be a rule, but like most rules on RCCL, enforcement is a moving target. I don't have access to the online waivers at the moment, but found this in the FAQs on the website:

Onboard Activities' Waiver

Q: What kinds of restrictions are there for activities?

A: Activities may have age, height, and/or weight restrictions. Guests participating in the FlowRider®, for example, must be at least 52"/132 cm tall to use the bodyboard and 58"/147 cm tall to use the flowboard. Rock climbers must be at least 6 years old, and climbers under the age of 13 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Please see each individual activity's waiver for restrictions and requirements.

Link

It only specifically calls out the rock climbing wall, but they enforced the 13 year old rule on ice skating and Flowrider as well. The same teen staff who enforced the rule on Navigator in March actually had switched ships and was on Oasis two weeks ago.

Yeah, I never had an issue on Oasis/Allure when he was under 58" and had to do boogie board while I did stand-up. I would have gone nuts if I had to stay on the boogie board side monitoring one of the best boogie boarders on the ship because he was 12, knowing the stand up was just a few steps away.

It was only the teen events on Navigator where we had the issue. I saw them enforcing it on Oasis for other kids during open flowriding this past cruise, but he's 13 now so it wasn't an issue for him in open sessions or the teen events.