Alhambra Beach Resort Closing!

Tom O.

As soon as I finally decided which hotel to stay in, I find out it is closing. The Alhambra Beach Resort is rated number one in Fort Lauderdale by Tripadvisor, but will soon be gone. Apparently the property was purchased by Marriott, and they will probably build a monster hotel there.

Now I have to find another hotel in the same area, that is not priced above my means.

As soon as I finally decided which hotel to stay in, I find out it is closing. The Alhambra Beach Resort is rated number one in Fort Lauderdale by Tripadvisor, but will soon be gone. Apparently the property was purchased by Marriott, and they will probably build a monster hotel there.

Now I have to find another hotel in the same area, that is not priced above my means.

Have you tried the Drift Hotel next door? We stayed there two weeks ago and were very pleased.

Have you tried the Drift Hotel next door? We stayed there two weeks ago and were very pleased.

Thanks, I will give them a try. I also called the Harbor Beach Hotel, they are also closing! Apparently big name hotels are buying up these small hotels as fast as they can, so they can knock them down and re-build. The owner of the Harbor Beach told me the whole area is going through rapid change, and it will soon turn into nothing but large hotels side by side.

I am planning a year in advance, and I hope The Drift will still be there next year. I called them and they said they have no plans of shutting down, but, what happens if they are offered big bucks by Hilton or whomever?

Thanks, I will give them a try. I also called the Harbor Beach Hotel, they are also closing! Apparently big name hotels are buying up these small hotels as fast as they can, so they can knock them down and re-build. The owner of the Harbor Beach told me the whole area is going through rapid change, and it will soon turn into nothing but large hotels side by side.

I am planning a year in advance, and I hope The Drift will still be there next year. I called them and they said they have no plans of shutting down, but, what happens if they are offered big bucks by Hilton or whomever?

It is some Russian guy buying up all these small hotels. He wants to rename the area "South Beach". What a dumbass.

It is some Russian guy buying up all these small hotels. He wants to rename the area "South Beach". What a dumbass.

I decided to research all this development, and I discovered that, apparently, the City of Ft. Lauderdale is involved too. The city has a "Central Beach Master Plan" intended to encourage massive development in this area. You can view this plan here: http://fortlauderdale.gov/home/showdocument?id=3979

Sounds like it will destroy some of the unique character of this area.

Bahia Mar is usually priced right for budgets.

If you like little hotels/motels with character, look at the ones in the north beach area. Many have been renovated very nicely and are not being torn down. A couple in that area are Tranquillo and Cocobelle.

If being at the beach doesn't matter, look at Victoria Park Hotel.