Upcoming cruise, PVP told my son to bring his marriage license?

Shutterlady

We are going on a 4 day cruise in January 2016. Just to Catalina and Ensenada. My son has his passport and his wife has her birth certificate which is acceptable. But our PVP told him that because he's only 24 and his wife is 20 that it might be a good idea for them to bring their marriage license just to be safe. Has anyone ever heard of this before? It just seems silly. Even if they weren't married they could travel together and she's over 18.

We are going on a 4 day cruise in January 2016. Just to Catalina and Ensenada. My son has his passport and his wife has her birth certificate which is acceptable. But our PVP told him that because he's only 24 and his wife is 20 that it might be a good idea for them to bring their marriage license just to be safe. Has anyone ever heard of this before? It just seems silly. Even if they weren't married they could travel together and she's over 18.

They may want the marriage license to associate the wife's new name back to her birth certificate. They may not ask for it. If your sons' wife doesn't have a passport it is the only way they can associate the birth name with her new married name to confirm age, identity, etc.

Carnival's policy:

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older.

Exception: Legally married couples, including same gender couples

Proper documentation must be submitted.

Documentation includes: marriage license issued by the County Clerk’s Office; legal proof of civil union; for newly married couples: a copy of the marriage license application or certificate signed by the official that performed the ceremony.

HTH

It's not silly. It is actually Carnival's policy since she is under 21 and he is under 25.

From the Carnival Website:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2544/kw/age%20restrictions/related/1

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

Exception: Legally married couples, including same gender couples

• Proper documentation must be submitted.
  • Documentation includes: marriage license issued by the County Clerk’s Office; legal proof of civil union; for newly married couples: a copy of the marriage license application or certificate signed by the official that performed the ceremony.

Since both are under 25 and his wife is under 21, your PVP is ensuring that they can board. Kudos to the PVP.

What is her last "legal" name? What is the name on the BC? Do they match?

Is not Carnival's policy that a person under the age of 21 must travel with a person age 25 or older? The exceptions are married people, and those in the military. So how to you prove you are married? With your marriage certificate, especially if you don't have a passport!

'

Regardless of Carnival's policy, it is a "recommendation" by CBP that if the names do not match on the two forms of ID, then a bridge document (marriage license, divorce decree, adoption papers) be brought. CBP rarely asks for them, but they have the right to do so, and it can slow up your disembarkation if they do.

Regardless of Carnival's policy, it is a "recommendation" by CBP that if the names do not match on the two forms of ID, then a bridge document (marriage license, divorce decree, adoption papers) be brought. CBP rarely asks for them, but they have the right to do so, and it can slow up your disembarkation if they do.

They don't ask because they are not required. The only reason a marriage license would be required is if picture ID and cruise docs don't match.

Example would be newly married bride booked cruise in new married name but doesn't have picture ID in that name

They don't ask because they are not required. The only reason a marriage license would be required is if picture ID and cruise docs don't match.

Example would be newly married bride booked cruise in new married name but doesn't have picture ID in that name

That is one requirement, that the picture ID match the booking name. However, two documents are required by CBP. One is a picture ID, so that they can compare the face to the name. The other is the birth certificate, which matches the name to citizenship. If the two documents don't match, they can ask for clarification. Generally, they don't, as they compare the date of birth on the two documents, then the first name, and then compare the last name to the rest of the party travelling with. It also depends on how things link in the Homeland Security databases, which they use to screen passengers during the cruise.

I think you are also mistaking me in that I don't mean the marriage license is needed to board, but that CBP may ask for one when disembarking.

My first thought was booze. Many, many years ago DW and I went on our honeymoon and I was 20 and she was 21. Carnival was cool with the arrangement as long as DW bought all the booze. Course that was many, many years ago.

Under Texas law a spouse can furnish alcohol to an underage spouse in their presence. Not sure how such things are viewed on the high seas these days since it hasn't been an issue in many many years.

That is one requirement, that the picture ID match the booking name. However, two documents are required by CBP. One is a picture ID, so that they can compare the face to the name. The other is the birth certificate, which matches the name to citizenship. If the two documents don't match, they can ask for clarification. Generally, they don't, as they compare the date of birth on the two documents, then the first name, and then compare the last name to the rest of the party travelling with. It also depends on how things link in the Homeland Security databases, which they use to screen passengers during the cruise.

I think you are also mistaking me in that I don't mean the marriage license is needed to board, but that CBP may ask for one when disembarking.

you'll have to show me that in writing. It sure doesn't say it on the Carnival website

You think someone can board and then not allowed to come back, LOL?

Edited by SeaUs

you'll have to show me that in writing. It sure doesn't say it on the Carnival website

You think someone can board and then not allowed to come back, LOL?

No, what I am saying is that it may slow down your CBP interview. And, as I said, this isn't Carnival, it is CBP. I used to have the link to the CBP agent guide for clearing ships, but that was on old laptop. Will work on finding it.

No, what I am saying is that it may slow down your CBP interview. And, as I said, this isn't Carnival, it is CBP. I used to have the link to the CBP agent guide for clearing ships, but that was on old laptop. Will work on finding it.

Carnival requires a passport or for a closed loop cruise, a BC with a photo ID that matches the name on the cruise ticket. No marriage license necessary. That's all

Never seen or heard anyone denied boarding that had those things, and certainly not being allowed back home

Edited by SeaUs

Carnival requires a passport or for a closed loop cruise, a BC with a photo ID that matches the name on the cruise ticket. No marriage license necessary. That's all

Never seen or heard anyone denied boarding that had those things, and certainly not being allowed back home

From the CBP website here: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1209/~/us-citizens%2Flawful-permanent-residents-name-does-not-match-documents

" Can I travel if my name has changed due to marriage, divorce, etc., and my documents are in my old name?

US Citizens: US Citizens who change their name due to marriage, divorce, or because of any other circumstance may travel using your US passport or other WHTI approved document in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change.

"

Note that your DL/BC are WHTI approved documents for a closed loop cruise.

Edited by chengkp75

From the CBP website here: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1209/~/us-citizens%2Flawful-permanent-residents-name-does-not-match-documents

" Can I travel if my name has changed due to marriage, divorce, etc., and my documents are in my old name?

US Citizens: US Citizens who change their name due to marriage, divorce, or because of any other circumstance may travel using your US passport or other WHTI approved document in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change.

"

Except

none of that pertains to a closed loop cruise where a passport isn't even required. Birth certificate isn't even mentioned in your link

"

Okay, maybe I should have bolded it. See above in bold and red, and also note the last sentence. The WHTI is what allows you to cruise with a DL/BC at all.

And just to be complete, here is the link to CBP's WHTI page, where it explains that the WHTI allows use of DL/BC for a closed loop cruise:

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

If that's the law, Carnival's web site should say it and it should be enforced at check in. Seems it's not on both counts

If that's the law, Carnival's web site should say it and it should be enforced at check in. Seems it's not on both counts

As I said, CBP don't normally ask for it, but they can. They have the entire cruise to screen pax, since they use the embarkation passenger manifest, and if bridge documentation is in the database, then they are okay without seeing it, and as posted before, they use other methods like birth dates and accompanying people's names.

As I said, CBP don't normally ask for it, but they can. They have the entire cruise to screen pax, since they use the embarkation passenger manifest, and if bridge documentation is in the database, then they are okay without seeing it, and as posted before, they use other methods like birth dates and accompanying people's names.

The first link you provided basically says that if your passport does not match your travel documents you need something to prove the name change. That's no different than a cruise. You aren't getting on unless your passport or photo ID matches cruise documents.

Nowhere in the land and sea link (maybe I missed it?) does it say that married women whose name has changed because of marriage need to provide further bridging documentation. Just says birth certificate and photo id required

The first link you provided basically says that if your passport does not match your travel documents you need something to prove the name change. That's no different than a cruise. You aren't getting on unless your passport or photo ID matches cruise documents.

Nowhere in the land and sea link (maybe I missed it?) does it say that married women whose name has changed because of marriage need to provide further bridging documentation. Just says birth certificate and photo id required

In the second link, to the WHTI, it explains that for a closed loop cruise, the WHTI approved documents are a birth certificate and drivers license.

In the first link, it says that if you changed your name and your WHTI document is in your former name (i.e. your birth certificate, which is one of your WHTI required documents, would be in your birth name), then you need to bring bridging documentation. You cannot travel on a drivers license only or a birth certificate only (if adult), so BOTH are required to be WHTI approved, and if one does not match the other, bridging is required.