Does HAL have a dining room just for suites?

Hflors

That's the risk a Neptune Suite passenger takes on Holland America. With open seating in the dining room they may end up sharing a table with steerage passengers.

I'm sorry but I don't understand comments like this. I've been in everything from an inside cabin to the ph. I'm more concerned with meeting nice people rather then what types of cabins people are in.

The fact that everyone goes to the same main dining room for dinner is a real plus to sailing on HAL. I like and and have made great friends in all types of cabins, from interiors up to suites. On one cruise, we sailed in a verandah with friends who were in an interior. It was a great option for us and it would have been horrible if we had not been able to dine together due to the difference in cabins. I hope HAL keeps the dining democratic!

That's the risk a Neptune Suite passenger takes on Holland America. With open seating in the dining room they may end up sharing a table with steerage passengers.

I thought that even with open seating you could still ask for a table for two??

I thought open seating simply meant you were not assigned a table or time?

Did this change?

It has been five years since we cruised HAL and had their non-assigned dining. We were always able to choose a table for twoif we wished, or shared seating if we wished.

Did this change?

It has been five years since we cruised HAL and had their non-assigned dining. We were always able to choose a table for twoif we wished, or shared seating if we wished.

That feature on HAL has not changed.

Did this change?

No, you can ask for a table for 2 in open dining. Nothing has changed. It seems the same posters get upset when others get something they don't. I'm thinking cabanas. I've seen people get bent about that too.

It's not about eating separate from other people, it's about higher end dining included in the cost of the room. It's a higher class of food.

Do you realize how crazy that sounds. All cabin classes should have access to the same high quality food in the same restaurants AND not have to pay extra for "specialty" venues. That's the way it's done on Oceania regardless of inside cabin or owner's suite.

it is obvious enough that some people are not used to traveling First Class. next time you book your lower class cabin tell them you want to pay the suite charge since the size of the accommodation is your only concern and not how much it costs. Give me a break. :p

LOL, I Love it.. When working for an airline our First class Psgrs, had their own First Class Lounge with Free Drinks both on the Ground & in the Air.. They paid for it.. Why Not!.

Well I, for one, am really glad that there are folks who are willing to pay double, triple or even quadruple daily rates over what I am paying, to sail on the same ship as me. I figure in the long run, considering the total fare paid by all cruisers on a ship, it makes my cabin a little less expensive. And that is a good thing.

So from one “lower class cabin” cruiser, I thank you for your contribution to my cruising experience.

Scott & Karen

You hit the nail on the head! If it were not for the suite Psgrs, we probably would not be able to afford to cruise as much as we do.. (Also in a lower class cabin.)

So I say to all Suite Psgrs. please keep on buying your suite, & I will gladly support your separate dining venue. & Free Liquor..

Thanks from another "Lower Class" Cruiser..

Do you realize how crazy that sounds. All cabin classes should have access to the same high quality food in the same restaurants AND not have to pay extra for "specialty" venues. That's the way it's done on Oceania regardless of inside cabin or owner's suite.

Yes, but surely you know Oceania is much more expensive than Hal. I don't mind paying for the specialty restaurants. If you do then I wouldn't go.

Comparing Oceania to HAL is a pretty far stretch. Their basic room is going to be more in line with what I paid for a Neptune suite. You're paying for that higher quality. I appreciate that the cruise lines and airlines offer lower cost options with less frills so that everyone can still enjoy it. I flew first class the other week for the first time (they upgrades me for free due to my disability and the seat being free) and got a taste of it. Larger seats, beverage service the second we sat down, blankets, a free drink and snacks. But in still unlikely to pay for that. The suite however does appeal to us because of the extras in addition to size so we're likely to continue doing it as long as we can afford it.

Edited by sherilyn70

LOL, I Love it.. When working for an airline our First class Psgrs, had their own First Class Lounge with Free Drinks both on the Ground & in the Air.. They paid for it.. Why Not!.

You hit the nail on the head! If it were not for the suite Psgrs, we probably would not be able to afford to cruise as much as we do.. (Also in a lower class cabin.)

So I say to all Suite Psgrs. please keep on buying your suite, & I will gladly support your separate dining venue. & Free Liquor.

:confused: What separate dining venue and Free liquor?

I think some here are saying we pay those high prices for those suites on HAL but there is no separate dining venue or Free Liquor. :D :D If we are going to be accused of enjoying such benefits, it would be great if we at least really got them.

Some cruise do offer that but HAL is not one of them despite those high prices.

Edited by sail7seas

:confused: What separate dining venue and Free liquor?

I think some here are saying we pay those high prices for those suites on HAL but there is no separate dining venue or Free Liquor. :D :D If we are going to be accused of enjoying such benefits, it would be great if we at least really got them.

Some cruise do offer that but HAL is not one of them despite those high prices.

Well they do give us that horrible bottle of sparkling wine. Then there are a few cocktail parties, but that's about it for the free alcohol. [emoji14]

Our concierge seemed upset last week that we chose to eat breakfast in the lido instead of the pinnacle. Maybe people weren't taking advantage if it and the staff was lonely.

Give us? Huh?

There is nothing free on a cruise ship.

That sparking wine is included in the price of our fare.

But that is not what my post was about. Serendipity urged Suite guests to continue paying for those suites and having the suite dining venue

and free liquor. My post was about the fact those things definitely are not included in the cost of a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite.

Edited by sail7seas

Comparing Oceania to HAL is a pretty far stretch. Their basic room is going to be more in line with what I paid for a Neptune suite. You're paying for that higher quality. I appreciate that the cruise lines and airlines offer lower cost options with less frills so that everyone can still enjoy it. I flew first class the other week for the first time (they upgrades me for free due to my disability and the seat being free) and got a taste of it. Larger seats, beverage service the second we sat down, blankets, a free drink and snacks. But in still unlikely to pay for that. The suite however does appeal to us because of the extras in addition to size so we're likely to continue doing it as long as we can afford it.

You may want to either talk to a good TA or do the math yourself.

After a long hiatus from cruising (due to work demands), we connected with a very well respected TA (who, interestingly, was a former HAL cruise director). For an Alaska cruise, she steered us to Oceania- where, with included beverages, restaurants, airfare, tips, and internet, plus significant OBC added by her agency, the price for a balcony cabin was about the same as HAL. The clincher was what we wouldn't get: hordes of people, lousy food, smoking on balconies, etc. The choice was obvious - Oceania!

For our cruises since then, we still always do a comparison of net daily rate between O and lines like HAL. And, now with O Life perks, which add tips, internet and excursions (to the free airfare, beverages, specialty restaurants, etc. it just ends up being an unnecessary exercise. There's just no comparison- HAL (and Celebrity and Princess and even Azamara) just falls so far below the bar set by O.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

This class creation is getting ridiculous.

We do not care for larger accomodation but do expect the same level of service and cuisine for every passenger onboard.

The difference in cruise price should be based on accomodation, NOT for service or how you are treated. That is 19th. Century all over again.

Do you feel the same about flying? First and Business classes gets very different treatment than Coach does.

We will be on our first HAL cruise next year and we will be in a Neptune Suite. It's a special occasion for us since we will be celebrating our 50th anniversary. We are looking forward to experiencing all the wonderful "perks" that I've been reading about for several months.

I am very surprised and saddened by all the negative comments people have posted about suite guests. There has been a lot of "suite" bashing on other threads, but this is the first time I've seen it on the HAL board.

I don't understand why people feel this way. :confused:

Well they do give us that horrible bottle of sparkling wine. Then there are a few cocktail parties, but that's about it for the free alcohol. [emoji14]

Our concierge seemed upset last week that we chose to eat breakfast in the lido instead of the pinnacle. Maybe people weren't taking advantage if it and the staff was lonely.

Why in the world would a concierge be "upset" about you eating in the lido? It's not mandatory to eat in the pinnacle.

Edited by cruz chic

After a long hiatus from cruising (due to work demands), we connected with a very well respected TA (who, interestingly, was a former HAL cruise director). For an Alaska cruise, she steered us to Oceania- where, with included beverages, restaurants, airfare, tips, and internet, plus significant OBC added by her agency, the price for a balcony cabin was about the same as HAL. The clincher was what we wouldn't get: hordes of people, lousy food, smoking on balconies, etc. The choice was obvious - Oceania!

For our cruises since then, we still always do a comparison of net daily rate between O and lines like HAL. And, now with O Life perks, which add tips, internet and excursions (to the free airfare, beverages, specialty restaurants, etc. it just ends up being an unnecessary exercise. There's just no comparison- HAL (and Celebrity and Princess and even Azamara) just falls so far below the bar set by O.

My guess is that this was a one off situation. I highly doubt pricing would be the same for every cruise on both lines. I just looked on an online website for a 10 day cruise in the Caribbean in December on Oceania. The prices for oceanview is $2400. An 11 day on Hal is $899.

Edited by cruz chic

We will be on our first HAL cruise next year and we will be in a Neptune Suite. It's a special occasion for us since we will be celebrating our 50th anniversary. We are looking forward to experiencing all the wonderful "perks" that I've been reading about for several months.

I am very surprised and saddened by all the negative comments people have posted about suite guests. There has been a lot of "suite" bashing on other threads, but this is the first time I've seen it on the HAL board.

I don't understand why people feel this way. :confused:

My guess is that it's sour grapes and jealousy. This is coming from someone that spends more time in balcony or lower than suites.

We have looked at Oceania and have never seen alcoholic beverages included. We pretty much discarded Oceania because we found it much more expensive than all the lines we have sailed. We would love to hear about your experiences.

Having your own dining room is snobbish. That's the problem with the world today. People are afraid to socialize out of their class. The high price you pay for your cabin should be just that the cabin. When I travel on a cruise I expect the same level of dining service regardless of the cabin I book.

So I say to all Suite Psgrs. please keep on buying your suite, & I will gladly support your separate dining venue. & Free Liquor..

I've been fortunate enough to be one of those "Upper Class Cruisers" LOL:) but only by upgrade/upsell combinations. However, you have a good point. The separate dining venue - I take it you mean the PG for breakfast - and Free Liquor - ah that must be that cheap bottle of sparkling wine they leave in the cabin.:D