Need Help.... Mini or Balcony!!!!!!

mcello77

Hey everyone, new member here and love reading all the threads. I have been on four cruises on four different lines, Celebrity, NCL, Carnival and RCCL. I am currently looking to book my next cruise on the Jewel. It looks like an awesome ship, and I am excited to try NCL again. This trip in April of '06 (Western Carribean) is for my brother's 40 b'day and there about 15 family and friends goings. Ok, so here is my dilemma... Balcony or Minisuite??? I see the visual differences, slightly larger (longer) room, what I am told is a larger balcony though I don't really see it, and of course the tub as opposed to a shower. All very nice features but I am not sure they are worth the extra few hundred a person. Does anyone know what else makes the mini's worth it? I have never had a room with a balcony so I am sure I will love either one!:rolleyes:

Only two other reasons to selct the mini.

If you have more then 2 of you in the cabin the space makes a big difference as does the curtain that can be used to divide the room.

And the final reason is the Concierge. The value of which is up to you. For some people having someone to make reservations of book your tours is important.

Don't forget the robes :D

AF-AG Mini-Suites 134

> Embarkation

> Cut Flower(s) in bud vase

> 1 Fruit Basket*

> 1 Bottle of Spring Water

> Bath Amenities (Wessco Botanical)

>

> Conditioning Shampoo (dispenser)

> Hand Soap (Dispenser)

> Bath Gel (dispenser)

> Moisturizing Lotion

> Oatmeal and Almond Soap

> Shower Cap

> Shoe Shine Mitt

>

> Other

>

> Concierge Service

> Bath Robes

> Feather Pillows

> 24 hour room service (Standard Menu)

> Continental Breakfast

Absolutely go for the Mini-Suite! I enjoy them so much that I changed my stateroom on the 10/9/06 Jewel sailing from a balcony to a mini. The category alone is worth it.

Dianne is right - well worth the money and she's a seasoned cruiser. Shoreguy mentioned all the goodies and I really do enjoy the goodies.

To top it all off, order a bottle of Woodbridge blush for your mini-suite frig. Ahhh, it's the suite-life to sip a cool glass of wine on that great balcony!

:p

Thanks for the help, sounds like it would be nice to be pampered! So the concierge is there to make reservations and book shore excursions, anything else? I heard from someone that you get hors d'ouvres and treats like that in your room in the evening, is that true? I was thinking that is probably the real suites. The problem with having the concierge make our dinner reservations is I think there are going to be like 14 of us! Going to be tough to eat together, but I still like the idea of freestyle with a group that large. I am so excited but it is soooo far away!!!!

No hors d'ouvres but a bowl of fresh fruit replenished daily,the mini is worthwhile if only for the bathroom which is a good size and the bath is a good size I'm a big guy and could fit in comfortably. As somebody else mentioned the balcony is great for watching the berthing and leaving port, we had a great send off from Warnemonde in Germany.

However one point to watch is the mini suites on Jewel are all on deck 11 so it is worth checking what is above you on Deck 12 see other threads on noise.

Since I am new to NCL, I booked the AF and one of the reasons I did was for the concierge service. However, I have read more than a few reviews that said the concierge service for the AFs is iffy at best. You may or may not get this service, due to the fact that their first priority is to the full suites. So for this reason I would not make my decision based solely on the use of the concierge.

For us, knowing what we know, we would still take the AF (on the Jewel) for the larger cabin. If we get the concierge to help us that will be icing on the cake. However, I would probably only use her for dining room reservations, and since I would be nervous about her having the time for us,and not wanting to miss out on a particular restarurant and a particular time, I will probably book them myself.

Oh, and also, the difference in price between the balcony and AF was only $70 pp. I would always book a mini suite if the upgrade was reasonable.

Hi,

I see you mentioned Don't forget the robes, Do you get to keep them?:)

New to a penthouse suite, I dont know everything that goes along with it.

I've read that you tip you concierge and butler a little something extra. If that's the case, I do want to be prepared. Will the concierge maker our dinner reservations for 4 so that my son and his wife may join us, they have a inside cabin. Thanks for your help, and We really enjoyed you pics from you trip on the Jewel. Only 17 days till we sail on the Dawn for the first time, I'm so excited. Thanks again, Helen

Only two other reasons to selct the mini.

If you have more then 2 of you in the cabin the space makes a big difference as does the curtain that can be used to divide the room.

And the final reason is the Concierge. The value of which is up to you. For some people having someone to make reservations of book your tours is important.

Don't forget the robes :D

AF-AG Mini-Suites 134

> Embarkation

> Cut Flower(s) in bud vase

> 1 Fruit Basket*

> 1 Bottle of Spring Water

> Bath Amenities (Wessco Botanical)

>

> Conditioning Shampoo (dispenser)

> Hand Soap (Dispenser)

> Bath Gel (dispenser)

> Moisturizing Lotion

> Oatmeal and Almond Soap

> Shower Cap

> Shoe Shine Mitt

>

> Other

>

> Concierge Service

> Bath Robes

> Feather Pillows

> 24 hour room service (Standard Menu)

> Continental Breakfast

Hi,

I see you mentioned Don't forget the robes, Do you get to keep them?:)

New to a penthouse suite, I dont know everything that goes along with it.

I've read that you tip you concierge and butler a little something extra. If that's the case, I do want to be prepared. Will the concierge maker our dinner reservations for 4 so that my son and his wife may join us, they have a inside cabin. Thanks for your help, and We really enjoyed you pics from you trip on the Jewel. Only 17 days till we sail on the Dawn for the first time, I'm so excited. Thanks again, Helen

The butler and the concierge are not in the tip pool so you should reward them based on the services you use.

No problem making reservations for your son and his wife. Last cruise Ruth evem made the reservations for 28 of use for dinner one night.

I believe Claudio is the concierge on the Dawn now. He was very helpful on the Sun in August 04.

We called tonight about upgrading from BC 9528 Balcony to a Mini Suite.

The rooms available are all under the Garden Cafe or Pool. I want to upgrade (for a fee of course) , but I'm nervous about the noise.

Any thoughts?

Bobbi

We called tonight about upgrading from BC 9528 Balcony to a Mini Suite.

The rooms available are all under the Garden Cafe or Pool. I want to upgrade (for a fee of course) , but I'm nervous about the noise.

Any thoughts?

Bobbi

The only complaints on noise were those under the gym. Passengers have been very happy in the Minis on the Jewel, Star, Dawn all for the most part under the pool or the garden cafe.

If you want/need the extra space and a bathtub go for it. They are very nice cabins.

We were port side aft, in an AF on the STAR last week. Kinda under the Kids Crew area. The only time we heard noise was on formal night ... I think there were a lot of kids in babysitting that night.:)

But, I'm usually so tired by the time I get back to the stateroom, that no noise bothers me. Besides, you just open the door to the balcony and listen to the AWESOME sounds of the ocean going by! Oh, my ..... I wanna go baaack!:o

Siiiigggghhhhhhhh

~D

I would definitely choose the mini suite over the balcony. The extra 60sq ft of space in the cabin is nice especially if you have a third passenger. Also, keep in mind, the balconys for the mini-suites on Deck 11 are also larger than those on the lower decks. We're book on the Star next month in a mini-suite and only paid an additional $100.

My husband doesn't think the end is in sight. I can remember years ago how excited we were when we went from inside to oceanview. Then came the balcony. Now it's the mini-suite. It would be extremely hard to go back the other way.

Well, last nightwe changed our BC 9528 Balcony to Mini AF 11604. The cabin is under some unlabled rectangular area on Deck 12 next to Mama's Kitchen. Anyone know what that is? We are wondering if it is a kitchen or storage.

We've gotten about three different answers from NCL!

Bobbi

• 7 months later...

We just got off the Star Alaska cruise and had a mini-suite (11652). We really enjoyed it - the extra space, nice sized balcony and abundant storage made it a pleasure.

We spent a lot of time on the balcony, especially in Glacier Bay. You should note that from about 11658 forward there is an overhang from deck 12 over your balcony. This is good if it's raining, as you won't get wet. However, on a sunny itinerary, it might be a drawback, as tanning would be restricted.

We didn't use the concierge at all and completely forgot about robes! We never saw any, so I forgot to ask about them...

Archived