Notes from a QV short cruise

janecambridge

We stepped off QV this morning after a 3 night trip.I booked Princess Grill as a treat for us both after some medical bad news! I bought the cruise a long time ago and sadly the price reduced a lot before we set sail.But There was nothing I could do about that.

There were at least 3 groups of people of 50 or more onboard.A free trip for them with obc.

I have mixed feelings.We have cruised in QV only once before and loved it.(balcony).

Our cabin was superb and loved the little extras of grills.cabin steward was efficient and kept the cabin in good order.

The grills lounge got very busy in the evening and seemed to be quite cold.

I was slightly disappointed with the restaurant.The first 2 lunches were mediocre and not much choice.The first dinner was also average.After that we had A la carte menu and it all improved.The courses came very quickly and it seemed that we could not alter a thing.e.g we asked for cream on the side,no.black forest ham sliced thinly,no.kippers with no butter,no.etc...It almost seemed like we were a nuisance...

Also every course was brought to the table very quickly as were the cream teas in the grills lounge..

We had our itinerary changed due to gales and we went to Zebbrugge a day early.But we were rewarded the following day with a sail along the southern coast of England,to the Eddystone lighthouse. A really appreciative change of course..

We were unaware until the last day,that tea and coffee is free in grills lounge as are soft drinks as long as not diet drinks.It was lovely to get a tonic in a bottle and not from a hose! All bar staff were superb and professional.

I had acupuncture for my knee,paid a hefty sum for 8 needles and 20 minutes rest on a bed.And...it didn't work.Maybe a course would be better.

Met some lovely people and would hopefully,one day be able to afford to go grills again,but for a few days longer.

Was on the QV this weekend. Never been on a cruise before but had an amazing fun time! Embarkation at Southampton Ocean terminal was really quick. Turned up at the allotted time - no queues, check un, security and on the ship within ten minutes.

The public areas of the ship are beautiful and elegant. My stateroom, an inside double was simply furnished ut spotlessly clean. My room steward was a little little shy but friendly.

I was sailing alone and expected to be a little isolated but the people I was seated with at mealtimes in the Britannia restaurant were very warm and chatty.

The food. Oh my goodness, the foooood in the Brittannia! I ate things that I never eat at home including froglegs - lovely! The entree portions were huge, even for me. The service was quick, efficient and friendly. I also ate in the Lido. So much choice. I really like having the banana pancakes freshly made and scrambled eggs. Having steak chips and onion rings via room service two nights in a row at midnight was naughty but fun! :D

Dressing-up in the evenings made everything special and walking through the various areas made it proper night out. The shows were great.

I think I have got the bug! Already looking to book something longer with Cunard for next year!

Could I ask the opinion of the ladies who have cruised recently on Q Victoria please.

Most cruise ships I have sailed on have been very cool because of the air conditioning in public areas. What is the Q Vic like generally day and evening in public areas and the Britannia restaurant? We shall be sailing for over 40 days with a flight home with 23kg suitcase limit so need to plan accordingly. I ask because a recent cruise on a new ship was comfortable for sleeveless garments in all areas.

Thanks Dee

I usually find ships pretty cool but actually QV wasn't too bad this time (I was on for 10 days November 3rd - 13th), but I do usually wear something with sleeves.

I felt a little chilly on a couple of occasions in the Queens Room but I'm sure it was less cold than QM2.

During the day I am generally comfortable in a skirt/trousers and a short-sleeved top. In the evening I wear short sleeves and again I am mainly comfortable. I get too hot in the Queen's Room on QV because I am dancing, but I found that the Queen's Room on QM2 was too cold. I suppose that's because it's self-contained and the air conditioning can be more efficient.

Have a great cruise.

Could I ask the opinion of the ladies who have cruised recently on Q Victoria please.

Most cruise ships I have sailed on have been very cool because of the air conditioning in public areas. What is the Q Vic like generally day and evening in public areas and the Britannia restaurant? We shall be sailing for over 40 days with a flight home with 23kg suitcase limit so need to plan accordingly. I ask because a recent cruise on a new ship was comfortable for sleeveless garments in all areas.

Thanks Dee

Thanks for asking this question! I am always worried how cold I am going to be. I find that it's always colder in the summer due to the AC, so I have high hopes!