2 Hour Courtesy Hold?

ATL_Miami_Cruiser

I just put a 24 hour courtesy hold on a June 6th Sensation cruise because I'm still debating whether to book a 5, 7 or 8 day cruise. But after I applied the hold I received a message stating it would only be for 2 hours. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I can always have my PVP extend the hold, but I should be able to do a 24 hour hold online myself which I've done in the past. I wonder if something "special" like a new sale or major price change is coming at midnight.

Online Confirmation:

Courtesy Hold Confirmed

Thank you. We will hold your reservation for the next 2 hours. (Until November 18, 2015 00:00) US Eastern Standard Time.

Confirmation E-mail:

YOU GOT A GREAT CRUISE DEAL! To keep it, just pay before: November 18, 2015 00:00 US eastern standard time

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

I just put a 24 hour courtesy hold on a June 6th Sensation cruise because I'm still debating whether to book a 5, 7 or 8 day cruise. But after I applied the hold I received a message stating it would only be for 2 hours. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I can always have my PVP extend the hold, but I should be able to do a 24 hour hold online myself which I've done in the past. I wonder if something "special" like a new sale or major price change is coming at midnight.

Online Confirmation:

Courtesy Hold Confirmed

Thank you. We will hold your reservation for the next 2 hours. (Until November 18, 2015 00:00) US Eastern Standard Time.

Confirmation E-mail:

YOU GOT A GREAT CRUISE DEAL! To keep it, just pay before: November 18, 2015 00:00 US eastern standard time

A hold on that old clunker.

Something is definitely up with their hold system. I received two additional e-mails with different times, both less than 24 hours.

E-mail right before midnight at 11:18pm ET:

Just 12 Hours left! Don’t lose your cruise.

YOU’RE HOLDING A GREAT RATE AND MORE!

To keep it, just pay before:

November 18, 2015 00:00 US eastern standard time

E-mail right after midnight at 12:08am ET:

2 hours left! Don’t let your cruise sail away.

YOU’RE HOLDING A GREAT RATE AND MORE!

To keep it, just pay before:

November 18, 2015 00:00 US eastern standard time

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

I put a hold on a January Sensation cruise last week because it's a surprise for my DH's birthday and I wanted time to think about it. It was a 24-hour hold and I was given 24 hours, although I completed the reservation just a bit before the 24 hours were up.

The Sensation is not an old clunker by any means. Yes, it's one of the older Carnival ships, but we sailed on her twice this year and the ship is in good shape with a great crew.

I actually placed a 24 hour hold on the cruise that we are about to go on. When I called to confirm and pay my deposit, the reservation had been cancelled. They had to re-do the whole thing for me and wanted to not give me the deal I had originally placed the reservation on. Several supervisors later, I got the deal. It was a good thing, the price has only gone up since then.

I actually placed a 24 hour hold on the cruise that we are about to go on. When I called to confirm and pay my deposit, the reservation had been cancelled. They had to re-do the whole thing for me and wanted to not give me the deal I had originally placed the reservation on. Several supervisors later, I got the deal. It was a good thing, the price has only gone up since then.
I had a very similar experience recently. The hold, which I made by phone, was on the last stateroom on the deck I wanted, in the location I wanted. I could have easily lost it because of the misinformation I got. The first rep told me the hold was good until 5:00 PM the next day. Once I discovered the cruise was missing on my Carnival account, I called back and spoke to a different rep. He informed me that due to close proximity of the sailing, the hold had only been good until 11:00 AM, rather than 5:00 PM. Carnival's "rules" are way to complex and fluid. Even the reps can't keep up with them.

Well I can confirm that Carnival wasn't kidding about my online 2 hour hold. The hold expired at midnight and my booking is gone. No worries though it wasn't the deal of the century and I can always re-book.
I'm sorry to hear that. Carnival needs to post some guidelines regarding putting cruises on hold and stick to them, AND make sure their reps know and stick to them. At any rate, I hope you find an even better deal!

I'm sorry to hear that. Carnival needs to post some guidelines regarding putting cruises on hold and stick to them, AND make sure their reps know and stick to them. At any rate, I hope you find an even better deal!

Thanks! About an hour ago I found a much better deal on the Sunshine and much better cabin location. I guess things happen for a reason! :)

I noticed this too for the past week or so. You are supposed to be able to do 48 hour holds, but they keep expiring at midnight of the day you put the hold on. Thinking it must be a glitch. Oh well, I ended up just booking the cruise I had on hold under the past guest deal, which doesn't have a cancellation penalty outside of the final payment date. So I pretty much have it on "hold' for the next four months. [emoji6]