Getting off the ship in port

smileytrips

If we are not tendering, how much time do you think it would take for us to get off the ship while in port? I realize those with shore excursions would be first but I haven't cruised in such a long time I don't remember how long it takes and what the procedure is. I need to set up a time for my shore excursion which is not through Princess. Thank you.

Edited by smileytrips

In my experience the larger the ship the longer it takes, for the Princess Grand class ships, probably 30-40 minutes or so if you are in the initial rush, but it always feels like longer as you inch your way along. If you wait about an hour after docking you can likely walk right off.

It depends on the number of passengers aboard, the wait time once docked to get clearance, the time it takes you to get into a tender and then the short trip to the tender dock. To be on the safe side, I would arrange to meet your tour operator 90 mins - 2 hours after docking. Best not to stress :)

It also depends greatly on what time the ship gets into port. I have seen terrible rushes to get off a ship for instance when the ship is cleared by local authorities to get off in late morning or mid day, as everyone is up and about and very eager to get off. It is those days I dread!

And often when the ship is cleared to get off at 8 AM or thereabouts, there is often little to no line.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

It also depends greatly on what time the ship gets into port. I have seen terrible rushes to get off a ship for instance when the ship is cleared by local authorities to get off in late morning or mid day, as everyone is up and about and very eager to get off. It is those days I dread!

And often when the ship is cleared to get off at 8 AM or thereabouts, there is often little to no line.

This has been my experience as well. (Around)8a is regularly pretty smooth and one usually experiences a steady moving line only right at the security checkpoint station before heading down the gangplank. Often many passengers are still eating breakfast and/or still preparing for their day in port at this time.

Midday arrivals (or any delays to the ship clearing) are another story. Often there can be a fairly long/slower moving line and a wait (up to 30-40 minutes) before one is actually able to hit the dock.

The ship can also be cleared early, and often the Captain may allow passengers to start disembarking a little before the scheduled(itinerary) arrival time.

For the early AM, I would suggest a meeting time 30 minutes later than the scheduled arrival time as being a pretty safe bet. Just make sure to be all ready to head down at (or around) the time that the ship is docking -- As a lot of other passengers have the same idea, and the early bird gets the worm.

Edited by Skai

We're not trying to be the first off so unless we're doing an excursion that is really early (for ship excursions we've been on, the meeting spot has always been in the terminal), we take our time to eat, clean up, double check that we have everything and then saunter over to the gangway. Sometimes there's not a wait at all to get our cruise card scanned and off the ship we go.

It depends on the number of passengers aboard, the wait time once docked to get clearance, the time it takes you to get into a tender and then the short trip to the tender dock. To be on the safe side, I would arrange to meet your tour operator 90 mins - 2 hours after docking. Best not to stress :)

OP specifically said when NOT tendering.

I'd say 30-45 minutes. Not everyone is in a huge rush. You are, after all, simply walking out the door.