Port area Cartagena

Cruiseme0613

Is there any shopping or anything to do right at the port? Is it even a safe area? We are trying to decide what to do in Cartagena. We aren't really into historical tours, or bus tours. We kind of like to just get off the boat and do our own thing, but we weren't wanting to venture too far in Cartagena.

Is there any shopping or anything to do right at the port? Is it even a safe area? We are trying to decide what to do in Cartagena. We aren't really into historical tours, or bus tours. We kind of like to just get off the boat and do our own thing, but we weren't wanting to venture too far in Cartagena.

There is a small store within the secure area of the port . Others might otherwise , I don't recommend walking outside of the port unless with a tour group.

There is a small store within the secure area of the port . Others might otherwise , I don't recommend walking outside of the port unless with a tour group.

Thank you. That's what I figured. We may end up doing a tour if there isn't much within the port.

We visited Cartagena off Celebrity Equinox last week. Went with a group from our roll call. Used Thumbs Up tour company and had Manuel as our guide. He was great and the bus was brand new. We visited La Popa monastery, the fort, old town and drove around the beach/residential area. If I went back, I'd arrange for a private ride to the old town area and wander around as it was lovely.

It was unbelievably hot so dress accordingly and bring lots of water.

We visited Cartagena off Celebrity Equinox last week. Went with a group from our roll call. Used Thumbs Up tour company and had Manuel as our guide. He was great and the bus was brand new. We visited La Popa monastery, the fort, old town and drove around the beach/residential area. If I went back, I'd arrange for a private ride to the old town area and wander around as it was lovely.

It was unbelievably hot so dress accordingly and bring lots of water.

Thanks for the advice! So you never felt unsafe while there?

There is no reason to avoid Cartagena-it is a city with some great sights and views. Reminds me of San Juan Puerto Rico.

The people are friendly, and definitely used to tourists! We have been there 3 times on cruises and done 3 tours- 2 with the ship, 1 private. All were great with no issues. If you're not into forts or historical buildings, you could do a mangrove tour or a trip to the mud volcano, or a party bus..or simply stroll around the old colonial quarter.

It will be hot and humid, as others have pointed out. Close to the port there is a small shopping area, benches, and wildlife park. It is quite pretty. There will be a ship shuttle bus to it, takes about 5 minutes. The shop sells liquor and sometimes has tastings. If they do, try the passionfruit liqueur- delicious! There is also a coffee shop there where you can buy beans in various price ranges, and they are very good. You can get a cup of coffee too of course, but you will probably want their tasty cold coffees with crushed ice instead, once you stand in the heat! :cool:

Cartagena is a wonderful city. It gets better with each passing year.

I would either arrange a tour ahead of time or when you walk through the store that was mentioned to get outside then don't stop for the people who say they are tour guides. I would walk further and you can negotiate for a taxi to take you around

There is a lot to see. I would walk the walled city area and the colonial city. There is also the fort.

Keith

Cartagena is a wonderful city. It gets better with each passing year.

I would either arrange a tour ahead of time or when you walk through the store that was mentioned to get outside then don't stop for the people who say they are tour guides. I would walk further and you can negotiate for a taxi to take you around

There is a lot to see. I would walk the walled city area and the colonial city. There is also the fort.

Keith

Keith,

May I just say that I thought of you and Annemarie several times while on my recent cruise even though we have never met! I followed your World Cruise 2015 and so enjoyed your blog. We recently visited Cape Town which made me think of you and then on our cruise I kept thinking "Could I be on this ship for three months? And Keith would be working out more!"

How you can remember (correctly!) the detail about the Cartagena port is beyond me with all of the ports that you have visited. Like you, we really enjoyed the walled city most and next time would just take a taxi and wander that area.