Tracy Arm question

Peace2U

I have read here that Tracy Arm is better seen from a small ship instead from the cruise ship. Carnival docks there, but some of the other lines do a four hour scenic cruise of it. What is the best chance to get close to it, by cruising or docking? Thanks!

Carnival does not dock at Tracy Arm, they cruise it as well. But as for your question, it is a much better experience from the small boat than from the ship. The small boat is able to get so much closer than the large ship. Well worth the price!!

I have read here that Tracy Arm is better seen from a small ship instead from the cruise ship. Carnival docks there, but some of the other lines do a four hour scenic cruise of it. What is the best chance to get close to it, by cruising or docking? Thanks!

Small boat is better . There is no dock in Tracy Arm. Some cruise lines have smaller boats come along side . People transfer and go further into the arm. Then the small boat goes back to Juneau where the passengers re embaek again.

Certain times of the year , small boats can't acces Tracey Arm and go to Endicott Arm instead,

As clarified, there is NO dock in Tracy Arm. What is different about Carnival, is, it's a cheaper add on tour, because it only does one way IN the fjord. You transfer to the boat tour at one end and get off at the other, approx 30 miles. Other cruise lines- include the transit to/from Juneau.

The boat tours are grossly superior for viewing glaciers. Carnival, is pretty common not to get past Sawyer Island. Only giving a partial distant view of the South Sawyer glacier.

Okay, so the Carnival option doesn't sound like it's a good one. Is the best idea a shore excursion out of Juneau? With so many things to do in Juneau (Mendenhall, whales, Tracy Arm), why is the time so short there? :confused:

We were there on HAL and didn't even get to Sawyer Island. The small boat came, picked up passengers and on we went.

Your post doesn't make sense. You didn't see any glaciers? HAL, does NOT enter the fjord at all on most, if not all their cruises now. Actually HAL, gets the longest boat tour, since it does the fjords both ways on the small boat, plus one way to/from Juneau. NCL for example- does one way Juneau/Sawyer Island.

Okay, so the Carnival option doesn't sound like it's a good one. Is the best idea a shore excursion out of Juneau? With so many things to do in Juneau (Mendenhall, whales, Tracy Arm), why is the time so short there? :confused:

I very much disagree, if you are talking about Tracy Arm, with the Carnival itinerary? The add on Tracy Arm boat tour is excellent.

Your post doesn't make sense. You didn't see any glaciers? HAL, does NOT enter the fjord at all on most, if not all their cruises now. Actually HAL, gets the longest boat tour, since it does the fjords both ways on the small boat, plus one way to/from Juneau. NCL for example- does one way Juneau/Sawyer Island.

I think you are saying that HAL does the mid-ocean transfer on all its cruises? That isn't actually what happens on some of the HAL cruises. Some do cruise through Tracy Arm on the cruise ship. I've been on several, the most recent this May, where the cruise ship sailed through TA for hours.

edited to add: If I misinterpreted what you're saying, feel free to set me straight :)

Edited by CowPrincess

I think you are saying that HAL does the mid-ocean transfer on all its cruises? That isn't actually what happens on some of the HAL cruises. Some do cruise through Tracy Arm on the cruise ship. I've been on several, the most recent this May, where the cruise ship sailed through TA for hours.

edited to add: If I misinterpreted what you're saying, feel free to set me straight :)

Just adding my bit that yes, HAL ships do indeed go right into Tracy Arm a little later in the season usually, if there are too many ice floes. While my favourite is Glacier Bay (done it many times) the beauty of Tracy Arm on the sail-in is spectacular, in my opinion.

You got it right. We went into Tracy Arm, let the people off and hung around a while. We did not see glaciers (in Tracy Arm) even from a distance.

HAL does have ships that do not enter Tracy Arm at all. I was on the Noordam this season which did not. They have taken the Tracy Arm sailing away from some of their cruises.

The poster, didn't seem clear enough. It appeared to me, that they might have taken the add on tour??? Reason, I was asking about seeing glaciers. Sometimes, wrong slants on information is possible with writings.