Whale watching

Peace2U

I have seen humpbacks out of Gloucester, MA, but would love to see other types of whales while cruising Alaska. What is the best port to see whales? I read that Juneau or Victoria are good, but we want to see Mendenhall Glacier while in Juneau. Any suggestions on how to see them?

In Juneau, we went on a whale watching trip with Harv & Marv. They picked us up on a bus for transport to the boat. After the whale watching, the bus stopped at Mendenhall Glacier. It waited for about 15 minutes or so, which was enough time to walk to the viewing platform. We opted to let the bus leave us and spent an hour or two walking the trails. There are other buses that provide rides to and from the glacier that you can take back to downtown Juneau. I think we paid $8 pp for the ride back.

Juneau and Hoonah have 100% sightings of humpbacks. BUT these are "different" humpbacks, whereas Atlantic usually have white pectoral fins, Pacific are black. :) (I spend a lot of time going out of Gloucester). Juneau also has a resident orca pod- which, on average are seen about 2 times per week. So not the best chance. Out of Victoria, there are 3 resident Southern Vancouver Island pods. Problem is, the usual late port arrival time. You usually have to take a ship excursion- which is shorter than a regular tour. Shorter means, less success seeing orcas. They have to be within closer range, out of their hundreds of miles.

If you want Mendenhall, and are taking a whale watch, ALWAYS book a combo package with direct transfer between the two.

Edited by Budget Queen

would love to see other types of whales while cruising Alaska. What is the best port to see whales? I read that Juneau or Victoria are good, but we want to see Mendenhall Glacier while in Juneau. Any suggestions on how to see them?

• Humpbacks are in Alaska and Juneau is famous for viewing there. A Mendenhall/whale watch combo tour is the most effective use of time as the boats and Glaciers are close to one another, instead of double-backing to the cruise dock.
  • Vancouver and Victoria will see more Orca whale's.
  • Vancouver's Stanley Park offers Beluga whales. http://www.vanaqua.org/

Not surprising to see different type of whales going up and down the coast.

Wanna see a risque picture of Orca's mating near Victoria from last week? Check picture 11 on this link...

http://globalnews.ca/news/2340093/photos-transient-orcas-seen-frolicking-off-saturna-island/

Edited by xlxo

In Juneau, we went on a whale watching trip with Harv & Marv. They picked us up on a bus for transport to the boat. After the whale watching, the bus stopped at Mendenhall Glacier. It waited for about 15 minutes or so, which was enough time to walk to the viewing platform. We opted to let the bus leave us and spent an hour or two walking the trails. There are other buses that provide rides to and from the glacier that you can take back to downtown Juneau. I think we paid $8 pp for the ride back.

Sounds perfect!!

Juneau and Hoonah have 100% sightings of humpbacks. BUT these are "different" humpbacks, whereas Atlantic usually have white pectoral fins, Pacific are black. :) (I spend a lot of time going out of Gloucester). Juneau also has a resident orca pod- which, on average are seen about 2 times per week. So not the best chance. Out of Victoria, there are 3 resident Southern Vancouver Island pods. Problem is, the usual late port arrival time. You usually have to take a ship excursion- which is shorter than a regular tour. Shorter means, less success seeing orcas. They have to be within closer range, out of their hundreds of miles.

If you want Mendenhall, and are taking a whale watch, ALWAYS book a combo package with direct transfer between the two.

Thanks!!

Where is that?

Hoonah. You would have to have an itinerary with the port.

I highly recommend Orca Enterprises out of Juneau. They also have drop off/pick up with Mendenhall. Their time there is an hour, but you could extend that with the same added shuttle bus cost mentioned above. The shuttle buses do stop running between 6-7pm however. You do need to allow at least an hour, if you want to walk the Nugget Falls trail.

We were one of the few on this board that did not have a good experience with Harv and Marvs so I wouldn't recommend them. I'd go with Budget Queen's recommendation on Orca Enterprises.

We too had a horrible experience with Harv and Marv.

It got very rough when we were out and the young captain couldn’t handle the boat. Water was breaking over the bow and spilling over the top of the cab on to the stern deck of the small boat. We had to transfer to another boat before heading back to shore. Although the captain seemed to forget, as we were starting to transfer to the other boat, one of the passengers suggested we put life vests on.

I was planning to book Orca Enterprises, but I just learned today they only have 1 trip scheduled for May 19 next year.

We were planning to do back to back whale watching trips with them. They may add another for that day, but there is no guarantee they will or when it would be announced.

Only one ship (Carnival Legend) will be in port that day; maybe historically they can't fill up 2 whale watch trips from that size cruise ship?

Is there anyone else in Juneau that has good whale watching excursions?

We may try to do one through Orca after reading so much good about them and try to setup another trip with someone else later in the day.

We're in port at Juneau from 7am until 10pm. The one Orca trip that day is tentatively 10am-1:30pm.

Edited by flatlander321

I was planning to book Orca Enterprises, but I just learned today they only have 1 trip scheduled for May 19 next year.

That’s unfortunate, particularly since you want to do b2b tours. Most operators will give you a pretty good discount if you book two tours at the same time. I too would go with Orca although for substantial savings would look at another operator. You can check reviews on Tripadvisor on several operators.

I decided to book the single Orca Enterprises watch trip. Their early bird pricing was attractive and they have a larger boat. It should be smoother in general and better able to handle rough water than a small boat.

If Orca doesn't add a 2nd trip that day, we may purchase a late afternoon trip from a cruise dock vendor. The cruise ship doesn't leave until 10PM.

I decided to book the single Orca Enterprises watch trip. Their early bird pricing was attractive and they have a larger boat. It should be smoother in general and better able to handle rough water than a small boat.

If Orca doesn't add a 2nd trip that day, we may purchase a late afternoon trip from a cruise dock vendor. The cruise ship doesn't leave until 10PM.

The Orca Odysea also have superb upper viewing. Nothing like seeing the humpbacks from that level. :) Very well run company. I've stayed out with them, when they've had multiple tours, will depend on demand. I've sure the costs are huge. Perhaps, note the interest on your roll call? And other roll calls of the same day?

Great choice! Next time we go to Alaska that's who we will use!

The waters near Juneau rarely get very rough, even with smaller boats. In fact a couple of the operators have a "no seasickness guarantee" which is kind of a joke in the first place - if there really was a chance of seasickness they wouldn't be guaranteeing it :)