Possible cancel question

Taylor523

Hello, going on 7 day Dec 13. Beyond final payment. No insurance. Bf in cabin with me has been offered a new job, would have to start ASAP and work through cruise. If we cancel now, we would loose 75% of fare per pvp. Pvp also said changing dates is not an option. So if we cancel, pretty much no other option than loose the money, right? Or am I missing something? He hasn't accepted or denied position yet. No flames please, thanks!

Does he plan on asking for leave without pay? Does he think that's an option?

Many employers understand that people had lives prior to accepting a job and are sometimes willing to work with new employees. He should mention it when he accepts the position.

Could possibly do a name changr. Thanks for that suggestion! Prefer bf, but def an option. If I were to have bought insurance, would this be covered? Might change my mind for future cruises & buying insurance

Carnivals insurance does cover job change situations. ( not available to you at this late date )

It would only be a 75% future cruise credit,,, but better than where you're currently at

Could possibly do a name changr. Thanks for that suggestion! Prefer bf, but def an option. If I were to have bought insurance, would this be covered? Might change my mind for future cruises & buying insurance

Yes if you got the "cancel for any reason" plan. Not flaming you, but this is why it's stressed on CC so much about getting travel insurance. Yet, we hear stories like yours and worse stories than yours. The cruise can be saved if you find someone else to go with you. You will probably get your port fees and taxes paid back but that's about it.

Can take someone else for a $50 name change. Just changed pax two days before our 11/7 cruise.

Name changes are not allowed under Early Saver, so if she booked under that rate, unfortunately she won't be able to take someone else.

First paragraph, towards the end: http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/specials/pay-per-day-2.aspx

Carnivals insurance does cover job change situations.

It would only be a 75% future cruise credit but better than where you're currently at

Or you can get cheaper third party insurance with a good "cancel for WORK reasons" clause and get a 100% refund (not credit) like we did. It was nice to get a check in the mail for the full amount of our cruise. The only thing required was a notarized letter from my employer stating that I would be required to work during the week of my cruise.

Edited by Tapi

Name changes are not allowed under Early Saver, so if she booked under that rate, unfortunately she won't be able to take someone else.

First paragraph, towards the end: http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/specials/pay-per-day-2.aspx

We booked ES for our 11/7 cruise. Spoke to two different phone reps the Thursday before the cruise. Both allowed the change. Spoke to the second one only because I was waiting on the 'replacement pax' to decide. I was very 'in their face' about what fare we booked.

Only if you bought insurance with a cancel for any reason clause. Most common insurance usually just covers cancellations for Medical and family emergencies. But you can add the cancel for any reason if you want to pay the additional fee.

If he really wants and needs the job, he will probably need to bite the bullet and miss the cruise. But, you should still go solo, if that's the case. No sense in you both missing it.

If you can swing a name change even though you are early saver, all the better.

If they won't let you name change, DO NOT cancel him. Just have him be a no show. Tell them at the checkin desk that he is coming later. I believe if you do cancel him, they will charge you a single supplement, and you will end up paying more! Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now, on the other hand, if he's iffy about the job and really wants to go on the cruise; he can tell the job he can only take it if he gets the time off. Or say he can't take the job because he can't get the money back for the trip. If they REALLY want him, they MAY give him the job anyway. It's a risk, so only if he's willing to lose the position.

Good luck to you both!

We booked ES for our 11/7 cruise. Spoke to two different phone reps the Thursday before the cruise. Both allowed the change. Spoke to the second one only because I was waiting on the 'replacement pax' to decide. I was very 'in their face' about what fare we booked.

All I can speak to us what the rules say. It's great that they made an exception in your case, but the OP needs to understand that might not happen in their case.

Does he plan on asking for leave without pay? Does he think that's an option?

Many employers understand that people had lives prior to accepting a job and are sometimes willing to work with new employees. He should mention it when he accepts the position.

LOL, not the last several corporations I have worked for. Anyone asking for Leave without pay the first month of their employment would find themselves taking permanent leave without pay. They might even say it was fine and then send you a nice email asking you not to return.

If you have a job that is flexible in this manner, appreciate it, because it is becoming more rare these days.

Only if you bought insurance with a cancel for any reason clause. Most common insurance usually just covers cancellations for Medical and family emergencies. But you can add the cancel for any reason if you want to pay the additional fee.

Our 3rd party insurance covers cancel for work reasons, but we did NOT get cancel for any reason.

We've only used the one company, so I can't speak for other insurances companies, and I don't know whether cancel for work reasons (without purchasing the extra cancel for any reason) is common or uncommon.

In other words, if you decide to get insurance next time, you can't just compare prices. You need to read the details to see what is covered, and what the coverage amounts are.

• 4 weeks later...

We always buy TravelSafe Classic through InsureMyTrip. "Cancel for Work Reasons Benefit" is included in the price of the policy.

I'd say if it's not possible, go without him.. I know it will be lonely for him, but at least you won't lose the whole amount. You will have a good time, just be friendly and meet people.

If you chose to do this just don't mention it to the cruise line.

He will be a no-show. You will get his part of the taxes/port fee's returned. Your best bet, really.

Congratulations on the new job BF.. lol