Doing a B2B-On Different Cruise Lines?

Rosethorn40

We were booked on a Canary Island Cruise on the Epic in March that it looks like we are going to have to cancel (Husband needs several surgeries that any travel in the first half of 2016 looks iffy at best). I called to cancel, and of course my PCC wants us to transfer our deposit to another booking for later 2016 or 2017. One of the options I am considering is doing a B2B on two different cruise lines. I have a cruise booked next December on the Carnival Vista. Because this is to celebrate DH's 60th birthday I had booked a Havana Cabana Suite and had planned on going first class all the way; limo ride to airport, first class seating on the airline, etc. I could always cancel the Carnival cruise and replace with an NCL cruise (Breakaway or Escape) and paying for a Haven Spa Suite (DH loves thermal suites). I know that NCL has much better suite benefits than Carnival, but I really want to try the Vista, so I am thinking of making this a 14-day trip to the Caribbean, instead of 7 (No argument from DH on that!) and was thinking of the Escape or Getaway the week before our Carnival cruise. Both ships sail from Miami, so I think getting from the NCL terminal to Carnival shouldn't be that hard (I've never sailed from Miami so I don't know).

So, anyone done a B2B where they were switching cruise lines, or switching ships? Any drawbacks? Logistic issues? Think there could be an issue with TSA? Any input, or something I need to consider would be appreciated.

I left a 4 day Disney Magic cruise on a Friday morning in Miami and boarded the Disney Dream in port canaveral that same day. No problems at all and I would do it again. I love the idea of a b2b on 2 different ships or in your case "lines". I'd say go for it.

We did a B2B a few years ago, same cruiseline (NCL) 7 days on the Dawn, then did 5 days on the Pearl, so we just had to walk down the pier to get to the other ship. I don't think I would do it again, though. Had to pack everything up (so there was clean clothes, and dirty clothes). Then get off the ship, go through customs, then walk to the other ship and wait. Get on the ship, unpack. It felt like 3/4 of the day was just wasted, packing, unpacking, waiting..... Have you considered doing a 12 or 14 day cruise? It would be much easier and relaxed.

We did a B2B a few years ago, same cruiseline (NCL) 7 days on the Dawn, then did 5 days on the Pearl, so we just had to walk down the pier to get to the other ship. I don't think I would do it again, though. Had to pack everything up (so there was clean clothes, and dirty clothes). Then get off the ship, go through customs, then walk to the other ship and wait. Get on the ship, unpack. It felt like 3/4 of the day was just wasted, packing, unpacking, waiting..... Have you considered doing a 12 or 14 day cruise? It would be much easier and relaxed.

I agree that the packing/unpacking in-between would be a hassle, and I would love a true 14-day (Not two 7-day B2B). Did one years ago on the Sea Princess. However, most of the cruise lines that I am familiar with usually offer the true 14 day (If they even offer it) on their older ships. Because this is a special birthday cruise I want to give my husband all the bells & whistles. A thermal suite, with the heated tile beds is a must, and the hydrotherapy pools are a big bonus. My husband also loves relaxing on a sun deck. That's why the NCL Haven and/or Vista's Cabana area is so appealing. With a Haven cabin I think we get included access to Vibe, which is adult only, and we could cross our fingers that the Haven area isn't over run with badly behaved children. Way too early to see how the Havana Cabana area on the Vista will work out, but in concept, if enforced, will be great (No one younger than 12 in a Havana cabin, but will it be enforced???). Ports won't be super important, the ability to relax, and having a great ship is. Never thought all the extra stuff would be of any importance to me, but 2 years ago we were on the Carnival Magic, which had more extras than any ship we had ever been on, and loved it.

Of course with the price of the Haven being what it is we may fly down via Southwest:)

Another option to consider.....I am doing a B2B with a day break. I booked a hotel with a coin op laundry and a store to replenish water and wine. I especially like the idea of different itineraries.

Whatever you decide, it sounds like a nice celebration!

Edited by asubaru

We do that BUT don't forget that if the first cruise is late getting in (bad weather, mechanical probs etc) the anxiety level can go to DEFCON 1 in a short period of time. Good example is the port of Tampa where fog can cause ships to delay docking by hours - even a full day or New Orleans where a barge slammed a bridge and the river was closed for the better part of a day.

We always have a full day layover between B2B "just in case" (also to replenish wine and our favorite munchies).

OP: No problem with your plan what so ever. The terminals in Miami are all in one row so with reasonable luggage you can walk from one terminal to another - takes you maybe 10 minutes from door to door.

What comes with having one day in between cruises, I have done it once (in 2013 after NCL discontinued alternative itineraries from Miami) and would not do that again.

The hassle of getting a hotel (and a rental car if one wants to do anything worthwhile in Miami area during the extra day) etc was just too much and completely broke the "cruise flow" for me - it didn't feel like B2B but what it actually was, two separate cruises.

While the risks with delays are real (even though Miami does not have similar often occurring weather risks as for example Tampa or NOLA), the ship being delayed even 5-6 hours for any reason would not make you late from the next cruise so I'd say that having an extra day because of that is overexaggerating.

if one ship is delayed it is likely that the other ship will also be delayed -- they are coming to the same port and would be subject to the same weather conditions.

I did a B2B on the Norwegian Sun followed immediately by the HAL Ryndam over last Christmas and New Year's from/to Tampa. Worked out wonderfully.

Edited by sailandcruise

We did a B2B changing ships after a transatlantic that does have risks but regular trips should be no problem.

Ask to do a laundry bag on ncl day 5. Might avoid some of the dirty clothes.

Could just pack extra and not mix new with clean.

That is an excellent idea! If in a Haven Suite do you get free laundry?

My guess is a haven suite can get a laundry bag done nearer the end, butler will sort it.

On the 10n TA we did one mid cruise the day after the general offer and one 2 days before the end(platinum perk) the first came back full service the second just a wash fold which was enough to refresh for a 4n trip the following day.

My guess is a haven suite can get a laundry bag done nearer the end, butler will sort it.

On the 10n TA we did one mid cruise the day after the general offer and one 2 days before the end(platinum perk) the first came back full service the second just a wash fold which was enough to refresh for a 4n trip the following day.

You can get it done and the butler will sort it however its not free unless your platinum

love doing B2B, either on the same ship or on two different ones...just walk across the pier....oftentimes cruise itineraries are the same (not always) so that's when we look into B2B on 2 different lines...have a ball!

We have done b2b out of two different ports Miami and Fort Lauderdale it was a pc of cake.

We would normally do b2b on same ship but in order to avoid repacking and transit but had no other option in order to do one of the cruises we hadn't done before and because of being in Canada its not worth going away for a week because of weather flight cost etc.

We would certainly do it again if it made sense and if it was minimal added cost.

We were booked on a Canary Island Cruise on the Epic in March that it looks like we are going to have to cancel (Husband needs several surgeries that any travel in the first half of 2016 looks iffy at best). I called to cancel, and of course my PCC wants us to transfer our deposit to another booking for later 2016 or 2017. One of the options I am considering is doing a B2B on two different cruise lines. I have a cruise booked next December on the Carnival Vista. Because this is to celebrate DH's 60th birthday I had booked a Havana Cabana Suite and had planned on going first class all the way; limo ride to airport, first class seating on the airline, etc. I could always cancel the Carnival cruise and replace with an NCL cruise (Breakaway or Escape) and paying for a Haven Spa Suite (DH loves thermal suites). I know that NCL has much better suite benefits than Carnival, but I really want to try the Vista, so I am thinking of making this a 14-day trip to the Caribbean, instead of 7 (No argument from DH on that!) and was thinking of the Escape or Getaway the week before our Carnival cruise. Both ships sail from Miami, so I think getting from the NCL terminal to Carnival shouldn't be that hard (I've never sailed from Miami so I don't know).

So, anyone done a B2B where they were switching cruise lines, or switching ships? Any drawbacks? Logistic issues? Think there could be an issue with TSA? Any input, or something I need to consider would be appreciated.

I have done this several times in Miami, late few, was from two Carnival ships, another was from the Epic to Carnival Splendor. Simply- walk off one ship, walk to the other. This of course, is assuming you don't have any limitations, and pack light. I have always sailed out of the same Miami dock, which holds 4 ships. in the case of the Epic- that was at one end and the next ship I was taking was at the other end. It is a long walk, that I made twice since I had a wheelchair user. (absolutely no issue for me) but, I decided to go with two trips, since it was easier. I've done this in Vancouver as well- very easy there, since all the ships use the same terminal. :) Other back to backs were on the same ship.