Le cirque

denatravels

[quote name='denatravels']Going to Alaska in August with my new shareholder OBC. Cannot use them for gratuities, and have explore 4 already. Already booked Le cirque, but want to use OBC instead. If it's only 1 night on a 14 day cruise, will it still be available when I board?[/quote]

Don't worry about it, OBC is OBC and the ship will gladly use it for the HSC.

[quote name='Susie51']I didn't know passengers on HAL ships had to pay for the Le Cirque show. Last year on NCL Jewel the amazing Le Cirque show was free.[/QUOTE]

Le cirque is a specialty dining experience held only once or twice a sailing. It is extremely special.

Sonja

[quote name='Susie51']I didn't know passengers on HAL ships had to pay for the Le Cirque show. Last year on NCL Jewel the amazing Le Cirque show was free.[/QUOTE]

Le cirque is a restaurant in NYC that pairs with Holland America. You're thinking of cirque du soleil, which at least on the Breakaway was not free but it is a performance. Different things.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]The ship doesn't know where all your shipboard credit comes from.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]So it will be used to help pay your Hotel Service Charge.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Remember that next year the Hotel Service Charge is being raised.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]We did the 14 day Alaskan cruise twice. I assume you are talking about the one that includes Kodiak and Homer. The first time we did it, they scheduled 2 Le Cirque evenings and both were sold out before the ship sailed. The second time we did this cruise, only 1 Le Cirque evening and it was also sold out. Many people complained and a 2nd night was set aside for Le Cirque and those on the waiting list were taken care of first.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='denatravels']You have used shareholder OBC for gratuities? That's great to hear![/QUOTE]

When you board, your Stock OBC, along with any other promotional OBC, will show as a credit to your account. Any charges, including gratuities, will simply be deducted from the credit before your account starts showing a debit balance.

It is said that promotional OBC left over is not refunded but it has been our experience that we have had excess OBC refunded to our credit card on the few occasions when we have had an excess.

We just check at the front desk upon boarding to make sure our credits are in place and then forget about it. For our upcoming cruise we have somehow managed to accumulate $1350 in promotional OBC. I have no doubt that it will disappear one way or another. :):)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]We also check about day 2 or 3 to make certain that we have gotten all the shipboard credit that we are due.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Our TA makes an official document listing where all our shipboard is coming from. I make another copy and take them with us. One time we did have problems with not getting all the shipboard credit that we were due and we spent 5 days getting it straightened out.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]I do check about every 3 days our account. Just on our recent cruise, someone on HMC charged drinks to our account. Since the ships do know who has gone ashore, they knew we had no way of charging drinks on HMC since we were still on the ship.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Can the people that are telling me that I can use shareholder OBC for gratuities please tell me if they have specifically experienced this personally. It states on the paperwork that it DOES NOT cover it. It's great to know that this may not be accurate-- but is it based in theory or actual experience where you have used it successfully? Edited by denatravels

[quote name='denatravels']Can the people that are telling me that I can use shareholder OBC for gratuities please tell me if they have specifically experienced this personally. It states on the paperwork that it DOES NOT cover it. It's great to know that this may not be accurate-- but is it based in theory or actual experience where you have used it successfully?[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I have used it for gratuities many times over the years---including as recently as last Sunday.

There were also two cruises a bit over a year ago where I received a refund on the OBC I didn't use. CCL Stockholder credit was included in that. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='denatravels']Can the people that are telling me that I can use shareholder OBC for gratuities please tell me if they have specifically experienced this personally. It states on the paperwork that it DOES NOT cover it. It's great to know that this may not be accurate-- but is it based in theory or actual experience where you have used it successfully?[/quote]

It is exactly as Sapper1 posted above. All OBCs are posted as a credit, the HSC is posted daily and deducted from credits as you go along.

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I have used it for gratuities many times over the years---including as recently as last Sunday.

There were also two cruises a bit over a year ago where I received a refund on the OBC I didn't use. CCL Stockholder credit was included in that. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Thank you, Ruth-- that's what I was looking for: firsthand knowledge-- much appreciated!!

Ended up cancelling two of my three specialty dinners, but I kept Le cirque. Thanks for the info about it filling up (and it currently is only offered once)

[quote name='denatravels']Can the people that are telling me that I can use shareholder OBC for gratuities please tell me if they have specifically experienced this personally. It states on the paperwork that it DOES NOT cover it. It's great to know that this may not be accurate-- but is it based in theory or actual experience where you have used it successfully?[/QUOTE]

If you re read my answer you will see that I said it has been our experience that that is the case.
And you're welcome.
I took time out of my day to try and be helpful. I'm sorry if I am not a reliable poster. Edited by sapper1

[quote name='sapper1']If you re read my answer you will see that I said it has been our experience that that is the case.
And you're welcome.
I took time out of my day to try and be helpful. I'm sorry if I am not a reliable poster.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say that you are not a reliable poster. I just didn't (and still don't) see where you said that you specifically had shareholder OBC and that it can be specifically used for gratuities. My concern is that CCL shareholder benefits specifically state that this isn't allowed. Therefore, I was looking for personal experience.

[quote name='denatravels']I didn't say that you are not a reliable poster. I just didn't (and still don't) see where you said that you specifically had shareholder OBC and that it can be specifically used for gratuities. My concern is that CCL shareholder benefits specifically state that this isn't allowed. Therefore, I was looking for personal experience.[/QUOTE]

To be clearer----I have personal experience.

Gratuities are deducted daily and the OBC credit level decreases daily. Edited by sapper1

I am currently on the Ms Oosterdam and looking at my bill printed yesterday. There are two entries as the first item: PROMO OBC for me and PROMO OBC for Joanie. There is a running total as each item charged to your account are deducted. I still hav e $1274 of credit to spend before any charges are posted to my credit card.