surely the end of civilisation as we know it.

mds143

Heresy apart, could someone please advise this ignorant Canuck as to just what fried bread is comprised.  Reference has been made to having bread used as a substitute for bread. Further, comparative reference is made to hash brown or fried potatoes.  Confusion reigns as we await our Azura sailing in but six weeks.   

Hi ONT-CA

fried bread is just that. A triangle of bead cauterised to within an inch of its very existence in bacon fat. The resulting morsel rates at No11 on Moh’s scale and will shatter whenever the tine of a fork is inserted. The resulting shrapnel may cause injury to those in the locallity who are not wearing protective clothing, hard hat and and glasses. 

Cruisers are encouraged to check their insurance policy to ensure that they are covered for 3rd party claims relating to flying shrapnel before ordering fried bread in the MDR. 

Yes, the problem is/was that P&O stopped using ordinary sliced white bread, cut into triangles (though triangles are not an essential feature) and started using strange very small circles of bread, which when fried became incredibly crisp and impossible to cut successfully. 

Fried bread is an alternative to hash browns in a cooked breakfast, being the traditional British element and much nicer if done properly.

I'd want fried bread and hash browns. :) So I don't see them as alternatives.

Regarding ONT-CA's point "Further, comparative reference is made to hash brown or fried potatoes", I think there "fried potatoes" is referring to saute potatoes. In other words, potatoes cut into thin slices and then fried.

3 hours ago, ONT-CA said:

Thanks for this clarification of the fried bread aka GT.  Does one order a "full English breakfast" and that will include the GT or are all the components ordered separately?

You can order either way. If ordering separately you can specify what you want and how many of each item.

Link to breakfast menu - same on all ships

https://carnivaluk.metafaq.com/resources/carnivaluk/life-on-board/PO_MDR_Breakfast.pdf

Brian

On 12/12/2018 at 6:45 PM, ONT-CA said:

Heresy apart, could someone please advise this ignorant Canuck as to just what fried bread is comprised.  Reference has been made to having bread used as a substitute for bread. Further, comparative reference is made to hash brown or fried potatoes.  Confusion reigns as we await our Azura sailing in but six weeks.   

Its interesting that you ask about fried bread. We have not been asked about that at breakfast but have been asked by non UK pax what black pudding is. The answer does not always get the best reaction.

I am truly looking forward to trying real black pudding (although here we do mostly refer to it as blood pudding)  Many a Brit has told us that what we think is black pudding is really not and so we look forward to the taste of the real thing.  

4 hours ago, ONT-CA said:

I am truly looking forward to trying real black pudding (although here we do mostly refer to it as blood pudding)  Many a Brit has told us that what we think is black pudding is really not and so we look forward to the taste of the real thing.  

The black pudding on the ship is ok. It it you happen to be in a UK port try Stornaway black pudding which is excellent. I belive there are some other really good black puddings in the UK, others may be able to advise about that,  Stornaway is just the one I usually get.

On 12/19/2018 at 12:31 PM, BrianI said:

You can order either way. If ordering separately you can specify what you want and how many of each item.

Link to breakfast menu - same on all ships

https://carnivaluk.metafaq.com/resources/carnivaluk/life-on-board/PO_MDR_Breakfast.pdf

Brian

Thank you for this most informative menu.  I suppose one would wonder how we sailed on the Azura last year and remain ignorant of the "Full English Breakfast".  But as we were in a suite we were directed to the Epicurean restaurant each morning and their menu was very specifically different.

This upcoming sailing we will be in a balcony cabin.  So digging out our copies the Horizon we now see a list of restaurants none of which are identified as the MDR but the English Breakfast is listed in more than one.  We prefer to be seated for breakfast so what would be the best location to be served the best of the English Breakfast?  Thanks for any advice. 

On Azura, the main dining rooms (MDR) that are normally open for breakfast are the Peninsular and the Oriental but check in the Horizon to confirm. Both are waiter service.

You should also note that the Peninsular is open for waiter served lunch, whether in port or at sea.

Brian