Anyone else get sick on last week’s Breakaway sailing?

lor74

Am I the only one who reads these and just shakes their head?

Maybe your friend has poor hygiene, there are A LOT of people who seemingly ignore the sanitizer stations and the attendants, even seeming to avoid them. I'm a guy and the amount of people who don't wash in public bathrooms is crazy.

they absolutely do ask that at least they did about month ago
This was the form we filled out about a week ago (and on all our other cruises this year):

Public Health Questionnaire

I agree with you that people should answer the questions on this form truthfully (and that many people do not). And obvoiusly people with contagious illnesses should avoid cruising, or be prevented from cruising. But there would be absolutely no reason for the passenger that Cloudyrain spoke with to answer "yes" to any of these questions, and absolutely no justification for a cruise line to deny boarding to a passenger because of a contagious illness (other than Ebola) if the passenger only reports being in contact with someone else with that illness (not in their travel group) and is showing no symptoms of that illness himself/herself at check-in time.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Am I the only one who reads these and just shakes their head?

Maybe your friend has poor hygiene, there are A LOT of people who seemingly ignore the sanitizer stations and the attendants, even seeming to avoid them. I'm a guy and the amount of people who don't wash in public bathrooms is crazy.

I find it amazing how one sick cruiser or a friend always has met someone else who's been sick. Do they run around asking as a topic of conversation?

If a ship has 4 or 5 thousand on board, I find it unrealistic to expect that many passengers to all be germ free when boarding. Most have arrived via plane, taxi, slept in a hotel. All have had germ exposure, and those need incubation time, so sickness occurs post boarding, yet try to pinpoint it to a ship.

Noro and other contagious stomach disorders happen all the time in places where large groups gather and eat. I got it once at Disney and I was out of commission for 3 days, not fun.

It is not publicized as much because there is a transient crowd that comes and goes not like a cruise ship where there are thousands of people who are there for a week generally.

I have become much more vigilant in the past years trying not to touch door handles etc.

If you sit for 5 minutes and watch people eating at the buffet and see what they do it will make you wary, even take an hour and count how many times you scratch your head, itch your face etc. It is very easy to get sick and constant hand sanitizing makes it even worse because it kills some of the good germs on you and can break down your immunity to some things

This was the form we filled out about a week ago (and on all our other cruises this year):

Public Health Questionnaire

I agree with you that people should answer the questions on this form truthfully (and that many people do not). And obvoiusly people with contagious illnesses should avoid cruising, or be prevented from cruising. But there would be absolutely no reason for the passenger that Cloudyrain spoke with to answer "yes" to any of these questions, and absolutely no justification for a cruise line to deny boarding to a passenger because of a contagious illness (other than Ebola) if the passenger only reports being in contact with someone else with that illness (not in their travel group) and is showing no symptoms of that illness himself/herself at check-in time.

My apologies, i could have sworn I read that on a form, oh well, it should be there though. I don't think that other then the ebola question that they would deny boarding, I would think they may question you a little further one on one and get some more information before making a decision ( i would think)

I know this is off topic but I wanted to ask this since many of you were on this sailing. A friend of my sister was on this sailing and she text me because we are going in the breakaway in June babe didn't have a very good time. She was complaining about it being so crowded. Did you all have the same complaint?

I've been on the Getaway. The only place that felt crowded was the pool deck and the buffet (which was very frenetic.) But we don't sit by the pool or eat at the buffet, so it was NOT a problem for us. If you want a more peaceful place to hang out, but a spa pass - that was NEVER crowded and where we hung out everyday although we could have been by the Haven pool since we were in a Haven Spa Suite, but we liked the spa best. You might also get passes to Vibe if you want to hang out by the pool but not feel crowded or go to Spice H2O instead of around the two pools. The pool deck is crowded because there are only 2 pools

You guys are right, it could easily have been Noro or something similar. It is very surprising that the staff did not care at all about his condition. On other lines they are very fast to quarantine. As to his personal hygiene, he is a partial germaphobe! Anywho, thanks for the responses....

You guys are right, it could easily have been Noro or something similar. It is very surprising that the staff did not care at all about his condition. On other lines they are very fast to quarantine. As to his personal hygiene, he is a partial germaphobe! Anywho, thanks for the responses....

You got the report second hand from your friend's viewpoint. You were not there to be able to pass judgement of how it was handled.. Quarantine? Must he be told to hang near his cabin?