Anyone else get sick on last week’s Breakaway sailing?

lor74

My friend got back last night from the cruise (Nov 15-22), and he just finished telling me the story of how he got violently sick on the 2nd night and after 2 days of vomiting was barely able to function for the rest of the week. He thinks he got sick from the fried brie cheese that was served in dining room. He is aware of another passenger that also got sick and also had the cheese. I am curious to know if anyone on the forums knows of anybody else who was ill on this sailing?

In hindsight, it is easy to assume it was food poisoning and I am telling him to tell his story to customer service. His entire vacation was wasted. While on board when his stomach suddenly turned on him, he didn’t know if it was Noro, motion sickness, food poisoning, etc. Crew in hazmat suits had to clean his bathroom in the middle on the night, and he did go to the infirmary. All they did was give him motion sickness pills and never even followed up with him.

If it was me (with my cruising experience), I would have made an official complaint for sure!

My friend got back last night from the cruise (Nov 15-22), and he just finished telling me the story of how he got violently sick on the 2nd night and after 2 days of vomiting was barely able to function for the rest of the week. He thinks he got sick from the fried brie cheese that was served in dining room. He is aware of another passenger that also got sick and also had the cheese. I am curious to know if anyone on the forums knows of anybody else who was ill on this sailing?

In hindsight, it is easy to assume it was food poisoning and I am telling him to tell his story to customer service. His entire vacation was wasted. While on board when his stomach suddenly turned on him, he didn’t know if it was Noro, motion sickness, food poisoning, etc. Crew in hazmat suits had to clean his bathroom in the middle on the night, and he did go to the infirmary. All they did was give him motion sickness pills and never even followed up with him.

If it was me (with my cruising experience), I would have made an official complaint for sure!

I have to think for him to get that violently ill from the cheese that there would have been many many more sick passengers. Also he was sick for way too many days for food poisoning. I think he had Noro or a stomach virus. But I am not a DR. so just my honest opinion.

I had food poisoning twice in the last 20 years. It was horrible, but at the end of 48 hours I was dam near back to 100%. A whole week like that? I think it was something else. He must have been able to keep something down, I can tell you from experience if you go 2 full days of throwing up your body is going to need some serious IV fluids

Edited by Laszlo

Sorry, I have exaggerated the timeline, let me be more specific. There were 2 vomiting sessions, the first being on Monday night, and the 2nd on Tuesday morning. After that he felt so weak and nauseous that he barely ate anything on Tuesday & Wednesday.

Let us not turn this into a forum debating the cause of his illness. I am just curious to know if anyone else out there is aware of others being sick that might mirror his situation.

Thanks

Edited by lor74

My daughter became ill on the November 8-15 sailing of the Breakaway, but I'm pretty sure it was noro or another virus. She did not have the fried Brie cheese. I took her to the medical center, and they gave her a shot of Compazine and some Imodium tablets. I find it hard to believe that they didn't follow up with him; the nurse called our stateroom every 8-12 hours to check on her status and had to officially release her from quarantine once she'd been without symptoms for 24 hours. I feel for your friend -- it was a really lousy 2 days, and my daughter missed out on a lot during that time -- but sometimes it's just bad luck and there is no one to blame.

Sorry, I have exaggerated the timeline, let me be more specific. There were 2 vomiting sessions, the first being on Monday night, and the 2nd on Tuesday morning. After that he felt so weak and nauseous that he barely ate anything on Tuesday & Wednesday.

Let us not turn this into a forum debating the cause of his illness. I am just curious to know if anyone else out there is aware of others being sick that might mirror his situation.

Thanks

Yes! I was also on this sailing and was sick days 2-5. I too thought it was something I ate but I didn't eat anything different than anyone I was with. Then I ended up talking to a woman later in the week and she said her husband had the same thing.

I had food poisoning twice in the last 20 years. It was horrible, but at the end of 48 hours I was dam near back to 100%. A whole week like that? I think it was something else. He must have been able to keep something down, I can tell you from experience if you go 2 full days of throwing up your body is going to need some serious IV fluids

Agree. I had food poisoning on a cruise a few years back and it was horrible but after 48 hours I was feeling great. For it to last a whole week and not feeling better I would probably think it was either motion sickness, noro virus or a flu of some type. Nonetheless I would never wish someone to have a bad cruise because of sickness. That is the worst and makes for a horrible vacation.

Edited by abe3

I always start us on echinacea and zinc and extra vitamin c about a month or 2 before any cruise.

I started doing this years ago for just a general wintertime boost....now we are doing extra pill popping for our January cruises now that the kids get the long January college break...and we are snagging great deals

Now I know everyone will debate this but doesn't matter....works for us.

Edited by luvtheships

formal complaint, why would he file a formal compliant? If the ships doctor thought for 1 minute he may have Noro, they would have taken a lot more action. He could have had anything, gotten it anywhere or brought it on the ship himself. I am sorry his vacation was ruined but to suggest a complaint makes little sense to me. He thinks he got it from this the cheese, maybe so, but we hear this all the time: One or two people get sick and they assume they know how they got it. There would have to be several people sick before the cause could be narrowed down.

There seems to be a virus going around, at least here. About 1 week ago our granddaughters baby got it and was sick for a couple of days, then her little boy had it and it ended with her getting sick. Her hubby didn't get it. I have heard of 2 or 3 other such stories in the past few weeks. It sounds like the answer to your question simply is, a few others were sick for a day or so, but got different treatment from the infermory than your friend got.

Edited by newmexicoNita

We were on this sailing and there were 11 of us on board and none of us got sick. We also became friendly with people who were in a group of almost 70 and none of them were sick. At no point did we hear of any virus going around or anything like that. The seas are rough leaving from NY - and they were pretty rocky Sunday into Monday. Could be a combo of motion sickness combined with a stomach virus. I don't think you could file a formal complaint without being able to prove he got sick from something on the ship. Unfortunately these things happen. My husband had a toothache the last day and was miserable for part of the day. Your body does not care if you are on vacation when it decides to not feel well.

I always start us on echinacea and zinc and extra vitamin c about a month or 2 before any cruise.

I started doing this years ago for just a general wintertime boost....now we are doing extra pill popping for our January cruises now that the kids get the long January college break...and we are snagging great deals

Now I know everyone will debate this but doesn't matter....works for us.

Wow thanks for that information, I think I am going to give this a try before my Gem cruise in January :D

We were on this sailing and spoke to two people who were ill: the first was just a 24hr bug that she said she thinks she caught from a room mate who had it the day before sailing. The second was the drunken idiot next door who got absolutely "wasted" (that's the polite version) the first two days, and then spent the next 4 days "sick" because of the "food" (probably the lack of it, or the actions of Karma in my un-qualified view).

Sorry your friend got sick but I think sadly it happens to everyone at some point, and I certainly wouldn't think it warranted a complaint to the ship - it sounds like they responded accordingly.

We were on this sailing and spoke to two people who were ill: the first was just a 24hr bug that she said she thinks she caught from a room mate who had it the day before sailing. .

When they were given the form at sign in about being in contact with anyone who was vomitiing or sick they probably checked no and could have possibly spread to others . It is so easy to pass this on. Touch a door, touch a pair of tongs on the buffet, shake hands with someone, etc.

We were on that sailing also but were fine. We did not however have the cheese that you were referring to.

There were a couple of nights that we hit some rough water and the ship was really rocking, but Dramamine kept us feeling ok.

Sorry to hear that your friend was so sick.

It is unlikely to have been food poisoning if he got sick so soon on Day 2. If anything it could have been Norovirus, but that is still pretty quick to get sick (and if it happened Day 2 it would have spread like wildfire and I think he'd know if many others on the ship were sick as well).

Did your friend fly to NYC to leave on the Breakaway? It's more likely he caught Noro on the plane but it's a lot harder to track down people who were on a plane for a few hours compared to a cruise ship for a whole week.

When they were given the form at sign in about being in contact with anyone who was vomitiing or sick they probably checked no and could have possibly spread to others .
The form only asks about symptoms that you yourself (and the children traveling with you) have experienced. They don't ask about sick people you may have been in contact with, unless those people were sick with Ebola.

The form only asks about symptoms that you yourself (and the children traveling with you) have experienced. They don't ask about sick people you may have been in contact with, unless those people were sick with Ebola.

they absolutely do ask that at least they did about month ago

Food poisoning can strike as quickly as 1 - 6 hours after consuming tainted food or as long as 12 hours afterwards. The specific symptoms your friend described do not fit with food poisoning from cheese which usually starts with a terrible headache followed by muscle aches, fever, nausea and vomiting - not so much diarrhea. You might only vomit once or twice shortly after onset or you might vomit for hours but feel absolutely awful for a few days with painful joints.

I know this is off topic but I wanted to ask this since many of you were on this sailing. A friend of my sister was on this sailing and she text me because we are going in the breakaway in June babe didn't have a very good time. She was complaining about it being so crowded. Did you all have the same complaint?

I know this is off topic but I wanted to ask this since many of you were on this sailing. A friend of my sister was on this sailing and she text me because we are going in the breakaway in June babe didn't have a very good time. She was complaining about it being so crowded. Did you all have the same complaint?

We were on the cruise to Bermuda first week of June last year and just went back on November 8th. Bermuda the ship seemed quiet at times since there are three days docked.. We had no issues with crowds during June. I would assume the later in June you get the more families will be there. Here in NJ the kids get out of school around the 17th or later depending on snow days..

Don't stress, try and get a few reservations for dinner ahead of time. We eat late around 8 so again that is never an issue.. No problems at the bars getting drinks or anything.. Enjoy it, is such a wonderful cruise to Bermuda.

Btw you can purchase the ferry bus pass at guest services while on the ship for Bermuda. So when you arrive you are all set to go.. They sell one and two day passes. Very few take them up on this..

We were on the 15-22 cruise. We felt no rocking, heard of or saw no one sick, did not experience crowding, even on elevators, and had no problem getting drinks. Rooms were clean, entertainment was varied and enjoyable, officers and cruise directors staff were visible and interactive with passengers. We travel on 4 different lines and this ship on these days provided an excellent vacation experience.