up sale discrimination

mcdermott

I am 2 weeks off my christmas back2back and tried to get an upsale was told by UK NCL they knew nothing about an upscale policy and was offered an upscale for £8500 pounds .Already in top balcon and offered haven 2 bed so we dont have to change cabins only cut price deals are for American customers "quote I didnt say that ,so why cant I have an upsell ,they are offered from seattle, can you get them to ring me no.This looks like discrimanation to UK passengers no thats not true"

As said before as replies to your other posts about this same matter: there is nothing that prevents you from booking through US office to benefit from US T&C. You are not being discriminated, the T&C and policies just are different.

I think perhaps you are confused I havent posted about this matter as it has just happened today

Hmm.. I was sure that an English person from Spain has complained and argued about the differences between US and UK policies with me before, but now that I searched I couldn't find such posts by you under this username, so: My apologies.

P.S. And yes, I believe that this happened today, I was referring to earlier discussions about the same topic.

Edited by Demonyte

I am not looking to argue with anyone.The new policy was announced by both Celebrity and NCL and I was pointing out that the policy doesnt apply to Europe.So that means that we loose both ways.We dont get reductions and we dont get upsales because the pound is weak against the US dollar I booked in UK

I am not in the travel industry, so I don't know if what I'm about to write is true, but it's my understanding that if you book in Europe you have many more travel protections than those of us that book in the US, hence the difference in price (We take more risks in other words). I have also read because of the custom of not tipping in Australia, when they book their fares are higher (Built in service charge?)

I am not in the travel industry, so I don't know if what I'm about to write is true, but it's my understanding that if you book in Europe you have many more travel protections than those of us that book in the US, hence the difference in price (We take more risks in other words). I have also read because of the custom of not tipping in Australia, when they book their fares are higher (Built in service charge?)

Right. That is what I have read too rgarding travel protection/insurances. I believe their final payment date is also closer to the cruise than US customers.

Edited by Arzeena

There is certainly no discrimination!! You have choices. If you want to have whatever benefit you receive from booking in the UK, then book there. If you want the benefits from booking in the U.S., go ahead and book here. It's easy, make you choice.

It could be discrimination if they made all UK customers book inside rooms only and no other, or sleep on deck and not in a room! But making you choose how you book your cruise is not one of them.:eek:

Right. That is what I have read too rgarding travel protection/insurances. I believe their final payment date is also closer to the cruise than US customers.

They also cannot cancel and get their money back before final payment date, so have far more restrictions in that way.

I am 2 weeks off my christmas back2back and tried to get an upsale was told by UK NCL they knew nothing about an upscale policy and was offered an upscale for £8500 pounds .Already in top balcon and offered haven 2 bed so we dont have to change cabins only cut price deals are for American customers "quote I didnt say that ,so why cant I have an upsell ,they are offered from seattle, can you get them to ring me no.This looks like discrimanation to UK passengers no thats not true"

Maybe I can't read properly anymore, or something... :rolleyes:

But isn't this a complaint about NOT getting an upsell offer, which includes the details of the upsell offer they were given?

850GBP is not a bad upsell to a Haven Suite, from a Balcony. Typically the price difference would be 1500 - 2000 GBP.

I'm not sure how that's discrimination.

Stephen

The EU/UK protections are a red herring the cost to cruise lines are negligible if they stick to the contract.

As it happens in my experience booking through the US does not help as the upsell department seems to avoid international numbers.

Price drops are easier to negotiate through US but for some cruises the UK/EU prices are cheaper to start with sometimes a lot.

I think German bookings get the best final payment 30days.

Edited by insidecabin

But isn't this a complaint about NOT getting an upsell offer, which includes the details of the upsell offer they were given?

850GBP is not a bad upsell to a Haven Suite, from a Balcony. Typically the price difference would be 1500 - 2000 GBP.

Stephen

Exactly what I was thinking :confused:

Stephen

Yes you arent reading it correctly it was £8500 UK pound at£850 I would have thought christmas had come early

There is certainly no discrimination!! You have choices. If you want to have whatever benefit you receive from booking in the UK, then book there. If you want the benefits from booking in the U.S., go ahead and book here. It's easy, make you choice.

It could be discrimination if they made all UK customers book inside rooms only and no other, or sleep on deck and not in a room! But making you choose how you book your cruise is not one of them.:eek:

Treating a person or persons of a particular group differently especially in a worse way Cambridge dictionary definition of discrimination

Treating a person or persons of a particular group differently especially in a worse way Cambridge dictionary definition of discrimination

Discrimination. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Discrimination would require that you -- or whatever group/class -- were treated differently than some other group/class under the SAME SET OF RULES. As has been stated, the terms, conditions, rules, and laws which govern a UK booking are DIFFERENT than those which govern a US booking.

Discrimination. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Discrimination would require that you -- or whatever group/class -- were treated differently than some other group/class under the SAME SET OF RULES. As has been stated, the terms, conditions, rules, and laws which govern a UK booking are DIFFERENT than those which govern a US booking.

Trying to provide reasonable explanation to the unreasonable is an exercise in futility but you did an excellent spot-on job of it.

Yes you arent reading it correctly it was £8500 UK pound at£850 I would have thought christmas had come early

Wait, what?

8500 GBP is $17,000 CAD. To upgrade to a Haven Suite? No way.

Somebody misunderstood something. Either you, or them. But somebody.

Wait, what?

8500 GBP is $17,000 CAD. To upgrade to a Haven Suite? No way.

Somebody misunderstood something. Either you, or them. But somebody.

Thankyou that is the point I have been trying to make but you seem to be the only one who can read numbers.No misunderstanding my travel agent rang twice because we are good customers approx 6 cruises per year and she was told twice and in an email this is the price for the upgrade

Thankyou that is the point I have been trying to make but you seem to be the only one who can read numbers.No misunderstanding my travel agent rang twice because we are good customers approx 6 cruises per year and she was told twice and in an email this is the price for the upgrade

Then your travel agent misunderstood something. Haven suites are expensive, but they're not that expensive. Not unless you're trying to upgrade to a Garden Villa or something.

If you feel that you have been discriminated against, there is a simply way to find out if you have or haven't, based on what the law says. Simply proceed with a discrimination lawsuit and that will solve the issue.

This "protection" only applies to a package deal. You cannot just book cruise only or air only or hotel only. You must book at least 2 of these together to get cover from ABTA. The best protection any of us, from any country is the best travel insurance you can find. As for final payment, I have a cruise booked for 17th April. Final payment is due mid January. Is that any different from the US? I have no idea.

This "protection" only applies to a package deal. You cannot just book cruise only or air only or hotel only. You must book at least 2 of these together to get cover from ABTA. The best protection any of us, from any country is the best travel insurance you can find. As for final payment, I have a cruise booked for 17th April. Final payment is due mid January. Is that any different from the US? I have no idea.

Cruises only are package holidays as defined by the package holiday regulations.

(They include transport and accommodation)

NCL is a member and bound by ABTA membership.

Neither would cover/consider your situation if you think they should put a complaint into ABTA, and trading standards.

People doubting the price the OP has posted: it's for a 9 night and a 10 night cruise back to back. Have a look on NCL.co.uk, it's £5798 for a two bed haven suite, as opposed to £858 for a balcony for the 10 night cruise alone. I haven't even bothered to look at the 9 night - it's out of our price bracket anyway!

I don't think the ABTA "perks" are exactly worth that much. Although I don't really agree with the use of the word "discrimination" I can understand the OPs frustration when a very similar "product" is so differently priced for very little difference in what is provided. Besides, some people come on here and write dissertations on how they were "robbed" of a couple of hundred dollars because of issues with pricer differences, or how they are "never cruising NCL again, ever!" because of an extra few dollars a day in service charges or room service charges. At least this is a genuine massive amount of money.

OP - I really hope this doesn't leave a bitter taste in your mouth, it's a fabulous itinerary and there are lots of worse days to spend 19 days of your life :)