Upcharge for Lobster

MotherofTrips

A lot has changed since I cruised 5 years ago. Having to pay extra for lobster being one of them. I wanted to say what my husband's comment was when I told him this. Now keep in mind I do all of the planning for our cruises, including his packing, he literally packs the car and drives us to the airport or port. He does not even always know name of the ship until we get there. He does not get into it or ask questions until we arrive ...anyway this morning I say ... " You know they now charge extra in the dining room to get lobster ...... His response ..... I guess they weren't making any money". End of conversation

And basically that's it..... times are changing, everything is more expensive these days, and cruising is no exception. Yes it sucks to now have to pay when ordering room service but will that stop me from letting the kids order it? Nope Nor will I discourage anyone from ordering lobster if that's what they really want to eat. We are on vacation. I'll save where I can and just go with the changes. That's part of life

A lot has changed since I cruised 5 years ago. Having to pay extra for lobster being one of them. I wanted to say what my husband's comment was when I told him this. Now keep in mind I do all of the planning for our cruises, including his packing, he literally packs the car and drives us to the airport or port. He does not even always know name of the ship until we get there. He does not get into it or ask questions until we arrive ...anyway this morning I say ... " You know they now charge extra in the dining room to get lobster ...... His response ..... I guess they weren't making any money". End of conversation

And basically that's it..... times are changing, everything is more expensive these days, and cruising is no exception. Yes it sucks to now have to pay when ordering room service but will that stop me from letting the kids order it? Nope Nor will I discourage anyone from ordering lobster if that's what they really want to eat. We are on vacation. I'll save where I can and just go with the changes. That's part of life

Your husband saying that doesn't make it so.

Sorry.

I agree with your husband OP. People will cry about NCL, whine about the good old days, ect.. What it all boils down to is, if you don't like the recent changes, than don't cruise NCL ever again. It's that simple people. In a free market, people have the choice to buy what products they want, and patronize what establishments they want. I love the changes. I used to get free lobster, but would shell out (no pun intended) tons of money on booze. Now I get the UBP at no charge, and if I want lobster, I'll pay a few bucks for it. People love to complain tho.. If you don't like what NCL has become, than simply choose another cruise line. End of rant. :D :D :D

That is the way I feel, if I want it, I'll buy it and if I don't want it, I won't buy it. It is my choice, NCL is not charging me for things I don't want. Things change, prices go up and the world keeps spinning around and I'm just darn happy that I can cruise. Edited by NLH Arizona

[emoji106]. I just find that there is a lot more thought and planning when cruising now. Never worried ahead of time about what restaurants we would be eating at on which days and what shows and what times. I only ever had to plan out port days.... Just more work for me...lol

That is the way I feel, if I want it, I'll buy it and if I don't want it, I won't buy it. It is my choice, NCL is not charging me for things I don't want. Things change, prices go up and the world keeps spinning around and I'm just darn happy that I can cruise.

YOU AIN'T NEVER LIED!!!! [emoji122]🏾[emoji122]🏾[emoji122]🏾

I agree with your husband OP. People will cry about NCL, whine about the good old days, ect.. What it all boils down to is, if you don't like the recent changes, than don't cruise NCL ever again. It's that simple people. In a free market, people have the choice to buy what products they want, and patronize what establishments they want. I love the changes. I used to get free lobster, but would shell out (no pun intended) tons of money on booze. Now I get the UBP at no charge, and if I want lobster, I'll pay a few bucks for it. People love to complain tho.. If you don't like what NCL has become, than simply choose another cruise line. End of rant. :D :D :D

I got $525 of free OBC so I think I will get myself a few lobsters LOL

[emoji106]. I just find that there is a lot more thought and planning when cruising now. Never worried ahead of time about what restaurants we would be eating at on which days and what shows and what times. I only ever had to plan out port days.... Just more work for me...lol

I like that cruises nowadays require more planning. When I started cruises as a kid, there was one thing to do at night - depending on your assigned dining time, you went to dinner and a show, or a show and dinner. It was that, or go to bed. Nowadays, I can go dance, go to a broadway class show, dance party, Howl at the Moon, small music venue, and the list goes on. Can it be problematic when you book a show when something else is going on? Sure, but I think it's worth it.

Cruising today wouldn't be great if things didn't change. You would be down in 3rd class steerage and not allowed to sit on deck. You would be on a ship with no balconies. You would be in main dining rooms with 10-top tables sitting at fixed times with people you don't like waiting for them to finish their appetizer so you can get your main course which is getting cold.

Change is good. NCL has been leading the way.

I'm always confused by how many people want that tiny frozen lobster tail on the ship when the majority of ports you visit have fresh lobster right out of the ocean grilled or steamed to your linking for a descent price....

I'm always confused by how many people want that tiny frozen lobster tail on the ship when the majority of ports you visit have fresh lobster right out of the ocean grilled or steamed to your linking for a descent price....

I'm thinking maybe now, since we are being charged for it, it will be better and bigger than the free ones, but I'm certainly going to try it in one of the specialty restaurants, as I have the UDP as my promo:)

I'm thinking maybe now, since we are being charged for it, it will be better and bigger than the free ones, but I'm certainly going to try it in one of the specialty restaurants, as I have the UDP as my promo:)

The one in the MDR is supposed to be a whole lobster.

yes, things are changing: I wish everyone would remember this; cost wise, all one has to do is go to the grocery store and check prices. Now, as for Lobster upcharge, 5 years ago the Lobster served wasn't much. Let's hope now, with the extra charge it has improved. Cruisng is still a bargain. Remind hubby, 5 years ago they didn't have promos like they do now.

The lobsters in the Buffer on "lobster night" we're basically langostino or a big shrimp at best. Here's the lobster my DW got at Cagney's a last month (using the fork and asparagus as a measuring point reference). Needed a couple of more ramekins of butter for this overflowing plate.

28554e5090613fe703fc46208b9e9f9f.jpg

51cf5ed7efa18d1e881fdd851d5c1815.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels