First Time on RCI. Please help!

aseyrick

Hello,

We've been on multiple cruises, but never RCI. Can't wait! Just have a few questions for the RCI veterans:

1. Which non-alcoholic drinks are included? Milk? Juice?

2. Since we booked late, we're currently on the late seating and wait-listed for my time dining. How do I change to early seating?

3. We're on the E. Caribbean itinerary docking in St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Are there decent public beaches within walking distance of the docks or do we need to find transport to get to one?

4. Do RCI offer stateroom upgrades either before or after check-in? If so, how do do so?

5. Are kids allowed in the specialty dining restaurants? If so, is there a discount for kids?

Thanks in advance!!

Drinks included in the basic cruise fare: tap water, coffee, hot tea, iced tea, lemonade, milk, juices at breakfast.

Try going to the Main DIning Room right after you board to change dinner seating.

Kids are allowed in specialty dining. Age 5 and under are free. Age 6-12 are $10 if they order off the kids menu.

Edited by clarea

Hello,

We've been on multiple cruises, but never RCI. Can't wait! Just have a few questions for the RCI veterans:

1. Which non-alcoholic drinks are included? Milk? Juice?

2. Since we booked late, we're currently on the late seating and wait-listed for my time dining. How do I change to early seating?

3. We're on the E. Caribbean itinerary docking in St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Are there decent public beaches within walking distance of the docks or do we need to find transport to get to one?

4. Do RCI offer stateroom upgrades either before or after check-in? If so, how do do so?

5. Are kids allowed in the specialty dining restaurants? If so, is there a discount for kids?

Thanks in advance!!

Beaches- not in St. Thomas, but beaches are all a short cab ride away. St. Maarten, there is a beach in town that is walking distance, but most people go to others by cab. Also, not a long ride, but certain times of the day traffic does get heavy. Most beaches in the Caribbean are public.

Kids are allowed in the specialty restaurants.

RCI does offer upgrades before, but you have to show on your preferences that you will accept an upgrade. After check-in, as far as I know, no. Most ships sail full.

Edited by BND

RCI does offer upgrades before, but you have to show on your preferences that you will accept an upgrade.

Just so the OP doesn't get confused like I did before my first RCCL cruise this past summer, you don't get the "Preferences" section until AFTER you've cruised and can official be a Crown and Anchor Member.

First-time cruisers don't get that section, so there is no way for a first time cruiser to say they are open to an upgrade. If it happens, it just happens by accident/magic.

In St. Maarten there are 2 popular ways to get into town where there are nice beaches and shopping.

The first is by water taxi which charge $7 each for unlimited travel back and forth.

The second (the crew always do this) is to walk on a sidewalk into town (15 - 20 minutes). You get off the ship and walk all the way to the back of the shopping area and walk through the gate next to the exit for buses and taxis.

If you want to get a taxi to go to Maho Beach (where the planes fly over your head - Dutch side) or to Orient Beach ( French side) the taxis on Back Street are less expensive than the taxis in the port area.

If going to either of these beaches it would be prudent to leave at least an hour before the time you want to get back to the ship ( think traffic).

Try going to the Main DIning Room right after you board to change dinner seating.

You can also get put on the wait list for early seating by either calling RCI or going through your TA depending on how you booked. With luck, you'll get assigned early seating before boarding.

You can also get put on the wait list for early seating by either calling RCI or going through your TA depending on how you booked. With luck, you'll get assigned early seating before boarding.

Great idea! Thanks!

Good to know .. we really need the early dining seating.

Just a few more questions, please ..

1. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of a recent Compass for the E. Caribbean sailing?

2. What are the times for Adventure Ocean club? Do we need to sign our son up during check-in or is he automatically signed up?

Thanks again!

What ship are you on? Compasses and Adventure Ocean info may differ among ships.

From my understanding, it's best to visit Adventure Ocean on embarkation day and sign up your kiddo. I'll be taking a toddler on her first cruise soon, so I'm basing this on what I've read.

If your TA can't get your dining time changed, you can go talk to the folks at the main dining room on the first day as well.

Good to know .. we really need the early dining seating.

Just a few more questions, please ..

1. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of a recent Compass for the E. Caribbean sailing?

2. What are the times for Adventure Ocean club? Do we need to sign our son up during check-in or is he automatically signed up?

Thanks again!

You need to sign your kids up. They will have color coded muster station bands for the kids as you board. They will also have a open house type of thing at Adventure ocean the first evening - check the compass for time.

There's another thing you should know about that you may be interested in. RCI has a special my Family time dining that you might want to get into (this is not the same as My Time dining - it's a set time with benefits for families). It's a program where they offer early dinner seating for families with kids in Adventure Ocean. You go to dinner and the waiters speed up your kids' meals where they are finished in about 40 minutes (your meals are just regular pace). At a set time you bring your kids to the dining room entrance and AO staff meet you there and take your kids off to AO for evening activities. You go back and enjoy the remainder of your meal. We loved this when the kids were younger as they did not wan to sit through a long meal and wanted to be off having fun. You just have to arrange with AO each day if you want them to pick up your kids.

It was a win-win for everyone. Maybe your TA could get you into this instead.

The compasses with be different for each ship and sometimes week to week. But at least the same ship will be similar. What ship and sailing are you on?

I actually found the Compass', so thank you! We are sailing on FoS, E. Caribbean.

As for Family Time Dining, that sounds fantastic! Is that something my TA arranges or I need to arrange once onboard?

Sorry, 1 last question (promise) - Is there food available on Coco Cay? If so, is it included or for purchase?

Thanks again! You guys are awesome!

I actually found the Compass', so thank you! We are sailing on FoS, E. Caribbean.

As for Family Time Dining, that sounds fantastic! Is that something my TA arranges or I need to arrange once onboard?

Sorry, 1 last question (promise) - Is there food available on Coco Cay? If so, is it included or for purchase?

They'll have a BBQ set up on Coco cay. Chicken, hot dogs, hamburgers, and so on. All included. Being at Coco Cay is the same as being on the ship. If you have any beverages packages they also apply at Coco Cay.

Get your TA to set that up for you. If it's full then get on a wait list. It's the best dining option when you have younger kids. You don't have to use the AO option every day if you don't want to. But the days you want to you have to make arrangements with the AO staff - they will add your kids to the list and tell you what level of the dining room entrance to meet them at and time. Also, tell your wait staff as soon as you sit down that your kids are doing the family time dining and going to AO or not. That way they know to speed up their meals if they are going. Most importantly, be on time for your dinner or your kids won't make it. 40 minutes is not long for the wait staff to get it all done and the AO staff don't wait - they stay on schedule.

Edited by The Sunset Glow