Natural History vs Tundra Wilderness

Kybabe

Would like some input on the Natural History tour vs the Tundra Wilderness tour in Denali. We are currently booked for a NHT the first week of June. Trying to decide whether to change to the TWT. The difference in cost is not a problem. What to do?

The chart on this page explains it all. http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm

The bottom line --more time in the park equals greater chance of seeing wildlife.

We have cancelled our Princess NHT excursion and will be doing the Eielson shuttle instead http://www.reservedenali.com/

There is a shuttle from the Princess lodge to the Wilderness Access Center.

The NHT only goes to mile 17 of 100 miles of park road, and costs $80. (a free park shuttle goes to mile 15, so NHT is a rip off IMO)

The TWT goes to mile 53, Toklat; 8 hrs RT $135. On a clear day it may go to mile 62, Stoney Hill.

Consider the Eielson shuttle. It is also 8 hrs, goes to a very nice destination, the Eielson Visitor Center at mile 66. $35

Look under PLAY to get detailed descriptions of the shuttles and tours. http://www.reservedenali.com/

Before you make any changes, be sure that you have the time necessary for a longer trip into the park. If you're on a cruisetour with only 1 night at Denali you may not have enough time for anything more than the NHT.....

I was on a cruisetour with Princess this past summer and we spent only one night at Denali. Because my traveling companion wasn't interested in a longer tour, I upgraded to Tundra Wilderness because they picked up at the lodge and brought us back to the lodge. If I had tried for the Eielson shuttle (which I would have loved to do), it would have brought me back to the Wilderness Access Center in Denali Park too late for a Princess shuttle to bring me back to the lodge. I read post after post about what I could do, but in the long run decided I would be too stressed about it to fully enjoy the park visit, so took the easy way out. And I thoroughly enjoyed the TWT and saw a lot of wildlife.

There was a post a few weeks ago, stating, that Princess, no longer would refund the NHT. IF that happened to be misinformation- and Princess does still offer the refunds- that is the BEST deal going. :) IF you get that refund for the "worthless" included tour (yep, my opinion- but WHY would anyone, spend all that time, getting there, and then NOT getting into the park?? beyond me, ). With that Princess refund, you can get the Eielson shuttle bus, for no additional funds. I'm a firm advocate of getting to at least Eielson, which is my minimum distance. Loaded with pluses, a building, friendly informative rangers, informative exhibits, running water, flush toilets. :), inside tables for eating. )

• 3 weeks later...
There was a post a few weeks ago, stating, that Princess, no longer would refund the NHT. IF that happened to be misinformation- and Princess does still offer the refunds- that is the BEST deal going. :) IF you get that refund for the "worthless" included tour (yep, my opinion- but WHY would anyone, spend all that time, getting there, and then NOT getting into the park?? beyond me, ). With that Princess refund, you can get the Eielson shuttle bus, for no additional funds. I'm a firm advocate of getting to at least Eielson, which is my minimum distance. Loaded with pluses, a building, friendly informative rangers, informative exhibits, running water, flush toilets. :), inside tables for eating. )

We upgraded from the "included" NHT to the TWT for $66. I just emailed my TA to ask her to check if Princess would refund not only the upgrade but the $80 value of the included tour. Here is her response:

"I called Princess and the agent consulted with the Help Desk. They would refund the $66 upgrade. They will NOT refund the $80 for the included tour as it is part of the entire cruise package."

We upgraded from the "included" NHT to the TWT for $66. I just emailed my TA to ask her to check if Princess would refund not only the upgrade but the $80 value of the included tour. Here is her response:

"I called Princess and the agent consulted with the Help Desk. They would refund the $66 upgrade. They will NOT refund the $80 for the included tour as it is part of the entire cruise package."

Princess might have changed their policy this year. If that is the case and you still want to book to Eielson, you can head to the WAC the day you plan to be in the park to convert your DNHT ticket to a standby shuttle bus ticket. You need to take the free Princess entrance-area shuttle from their lodge to the WAC and back. That operates 7am to 7pm. After those hours they charge $5/person for a separate shuttle, subject to availability.