Television Programming

knittinggirl

We went through 25 days with CNN, and were wondering what programming they have on HAL.

All Royal Caribbean had were Royal Caribbean ads, CNN, ESPN and Turner Classic Movies with TNT Reruns.

IIRC, add Cartoon Network, Fox News, ESPN Deportes, and BBC World Service. There's also some satellite stuff and local loop.

What's IIRC?

On our Transatlantic, we lost most of our programming in the middle of the crossing.

Iirc is if I recall correctly. They used to have turner network but they don't have that now. I can't recall even seeing cnn on my last cruise. I wonder how long it will be before someone posts that they don't understand why people watch tv on a cruise:D. It won't be me.

On my recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruise I found the TV setup had been totally changed from what I was used to. The TV on the shelf over the desk was replaced with a large TV mounted on the wall; there was no DVD.

The TV defaulted to "Home", rather than return to the station you were watching when you last turned off the set.

There were selections of categories, including Live TV, TV programs, movies, and a few internal program channels.

The Live TV offered BBC, CNBC, MSNBC, Fox News, ESPN1, ESPN2.

TV programming had a selection of shows from which to choose, then in some cases a choice of season, followed by a choice of episode.

There was an extensive selection of movies, but the older and classic choices from DVD days were gone.

On my recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruise I found the TV setup had been totally changed from what I was used to. The TV on the shelf over the desk was replaced with a large TV mounted on the wall; there was no DVD.

The TV defaulted to "Home", rather than return to the station you were watching when you last turned off the set.

There were selections of categories, including Live TV, TV programs, movies, and a few internal program channels.

TV programming had a selection of shows from which to choose, then in some cases a choice of season, followed by a choice of episode.

There was an extensive selection of movies, but the older and classic choices from DVD days were gone.

Thanks. I forgot CNBC.

It sounds like you may have had some on-demand programming.

Our Oosterdam TV programming played the previous days theater movie repeatedly. The other movie channels each played the same movie over and over again throughout the day. If you missed any part of a movie, you would be able to catch it in less than two hours by just keeping tuned to the same channel.

The great thing about the new TV system on the Nieuw Amsterdam is that you can start watching a movie whenever you want. You can stop when you need and pick it up again (at that same spot) when you wish. No more coming in during the middle of a movie. No getting bits and pieces of a movie. No keeping the TV tuned to the same channel just to see what you missed.

It sounds like you may have had some on-demand programming.

That's exactly what it was---on demand.

It wasn't as easy to review the selection of movies available as it used to be when looking for a DVD. There were various headings, such as drama, comedy, documentary, but if you didn't know what you were looking for it took a long time to go through the "all" choice. The booklet was much easier to go through.

Similar process in the TV selections.

There were definitely pros & cons as compared to the prior TV set-up.

The great thing about the new TV system on the Nieuw Amsterdam is that you can start watching a movie whenever you want. You can stop when you need and pick it up again (at that same spot) when you wish. No more coming in during the middle of a movie. No getting bits and pieces of a movie. No keeping the TV tuned to the same channel just to see what you missed.

Thanks for the info. It will come in handy for my next cruise.

That's exactly what it was---on demand.

It wasn't as easy to review the selection of movies available as it used to be when looking for a DVD. There were various headings, such as drama, comedy, documentary, but if you didn't know what you were looking for it took a long time to go through the "all" choice. The booklet was much easier to go through.

Similar process in the TV selections.

There were definitely pros & cons as compared to the prior TV set-up.

Thanks Ruth! It sounds like our Comcast on demand here in Florida or the Time Warner on demand we had in Maine.

There's never enough information on screen to compete with a written listing.

Edited by POA1

"I wonder how long it will be before someone posts that they don't understand why people watch tv on a cruise. It won't be me."

that made me laugh. On one of our cruises I stopped back at our stateroom to find my dh lying on the bed watching TV. I said something like - we are in the middle of the Caribbean, it is gorgeous outside and you - you're in here doing exactly what you would be doing at home!.

His reply, "you relax your way and I'll relax mine".

To each his own.

Pat

Also depending where the ship is in the world you might not get the American version of ESPN1. I've seen what I think was ESPN Desportes and/or some ESPN European version with lots of soccer) on the HAL ships too.

"I wonder how long it will be before someone posts that they don't understand why people watch tv on a cruise. It won't be me."

that made me laugh. On one of our cruises I stopped back at our stateroom to find my dh lying on the bed watching TV. I said something like - we are in the middle of the Caribbean, it is gorgeous outside and you - you're in here doing exactly what you would be doing at home!.

His reply, "you relax your way and I'll relax mine".

To each his own.

Pat

That's funny:D. I love being outside too but I use tv as my sleeping pill at night.

Also depending where the ship is in the world you might not get the American version of ESPN1. I've seen what I think was ESPN Desportes and/or some ESPN European version with lots of soccer) on the HAL ships too.

One of the ESPN channels was pre-empted on Sundays to broadcast both an early and late afternoon NFL game---one each from both CBS and Fox. I don't know if the evening NBC game was broadcast as we were 6 hours ahead of eastern time.

We did lose both ESPN stations for a significant time while we crossed The Pond. Got it back in the last day or two. I presume it had to do with a change of satellite.

While we didn't have ESPN available, we got the NFL games over the "Special Presentations" channel.

One of the ESPN channels was pre-empted on Sundays to broadcast both an early and late afternoon NFL game---one each from both CBS and Fox. I don't know if the evening NBC game was broadcast as we were 6 hours ahead of eastern time.

We did lose both ESPN stations for a significant time while we crossed The Pond. Got it back in the last day or two. I presume it had to do with a change of satellite.

While we didn't have ESPN available, we got the NFL games over the "Special Presentations" channel.

Thanks very much for the information on the NFL Sunday games.

We had NFL games the whole time. Also had NFL Redzone. That was pretty cool. That was a 39 day cruise from Vancouver to Auckland. Weird watching football at 6:00am!

I live in Australia and get up between 3 and 6 on Sunday mornings to watch college football games via streaming services. It's definitely strange to think football and football nibbles that early in the morning.

The on-demand service sounds very interesting, and moving toward how more and more people are watching tv in their homes -- with binge watching and ditching cable in favor of streaming services.

But as long as there is a news channel where I can get major headlines and access to the internet for local stories I'm happy.

if your worried about what's on TV stay home.

I think you're assuming that people want to watch TV all day while on a cruise.

For us it would just be nice to have something decent on TV while we are dressing for dinner or to watch late at night.

I see this is your first post so welcome to Cruise Critic.