Questions about Alaska cruise

luvs2beachit

We have been on close to 40 cruises but never to Alaska. This will be our 1st time and we are looking at a May 21 or May22 out of Seattle on Princess.

The cruise on the 21st goes to Glacier Bay and the one on the 22nd goes to Tracy Arm. So my questions are:

1) Which is better for 1st timers.........Glacier or Tracy Arm?

2) What are the temps like at that time of year?

3) How much use would we get out a balcony? Would we be able to sit out there for long periods?

Thanks

We have been on close to 40 cruises but never to Alaska. This will be our 1st time and we are looking at a May 21 or May22 out of Seattle on Princess.

The cruise on the 21st goes to Glacier Bay and the one on the 22nd goes to Tracy Arm. So my questions are:

1) Which is better for 1st timers.........Glacier or Tracy Arm? both are good . your probably going get closer glaciers in Glacier Bay in May

2) What are the temps like at that time of year? Temps will be between the low 40's and high 70's. Last year Alaska had May temps around 70 and sunny. Everyday in Alaska can be different. Alaskan weather can change by the hour if not faster.

3) How much use would we get out a balcony? Would we be able to sit out there for long periods?

Thanks

See my comments

We're heading out for a B2B out of Vancouver May 21st and definitely would pick Glacier Bay for a must-see trip! We always book a balcony because there are many opportunities for beautiful scenery and critter sightings. Colder so bring layers and gloves so your hands aren't cold as you grip your binoculars (absolutely bring those). We like Princess for Alaska - many great programs including Libby Riddles as a guest speaker in Juneau. on-board naturalist for on-going commentaries and of course the Park Service Rangers who board in Glacier Bay for that portion of the cruise.

I hope you enjoy the experience - Alaska is our all-time favorite itinerary!

We went on our first Alaska cruise last summer. We did Tracy arm so I can't comment on glacier bay but I'm sure they're both great!

Can't comment on may weather but we went at end of August and it was chilly.

As far as the balcony goes I would say it's totally worth it. We used our balcony to sit outside and watch the scenery go by many many days. Just bring a jacket and pants and you can sit out there and enjoy!

It is going to be cool out on balconies, with coats needed most of the time. It isn't the place for a meal like some people think. :) hat and gloves are going to be needed at some point during the cruise.

You do realize that a round trip Seattle is the least scenic itinerary? You will have 2 days of open ocean, maybe land viewing- miles way off.

I am never going to make the claims some do, with stating one glacier is better than the other. ALL these areas are scenic, AND unique at that time. There is a lot of hype for Glacier Bay as a "must do", I'm coming from a different perspective having sailed all these areas multiple times. :) But I find it a disservice in the sometimes reports, making out certain selections, sloppy seconds and not worthwhile. Believe me- I could pick apart every cruise with some type of negative. There isn't a perfect cruise. :) BUT, you will see raves about all of them.

So, my suggestion- take a look and educate yourself on multiple features, before a cruise selection. Look at each port's visitor web site, rank YOUR tour selections and determine- what you most want to include in your visit. Compare port times, check your dates. look at the glaciers- my recommendation- is if you do choose Tracy Arm- I find the add on ship shore excursion "necessary", since it is grossly superior to the cruise ship transit- so added costs perhaps? Factor in your cabin choices and tour budget- I find tours are 50% of your trip. :) (and suggest not skimping and budgeting fully)

Not an easy selection and always a compromise. :)

Another vote for Glacier Bay to see Glaciers.

Tracy offers mountains, trees, and water.... something you see most of the cruise. Yes there is a Sawyer glacier at end.... if there isn't any May ice congestion blocking your journey to the end of a 30 mile fjord.

Glacier Bay - you are pretty much guaranteed you will see it.

Tracy Arm is missed frequently. I have missed it 4x.

I love sailing at the end of May. It is usually a little cooler (though I have gotten sunburned) but typically dryer (less rain). There is often snow on the mountains when sailing which is quite beautiful. May is also usually cheaper.

Edited by Coral

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for all your feedback. You have all given us something to think about before we make our final decision. Most important lesson learned is that all Alaska Cruises are NOT alike and that I need to spend some more time doing research. Your comments about gloves, hats and coats being needed brought back some great memories of our Baltic cruise so yes, we will get a balcony and do what we did on that cruise. Bundle up, pull the quilt off the bed and rap it around ourselves as we sat on our balcony enjoying the scenery.

Sorry that I didn't get back on this thread sooner but was out of commission for the past week. Thanks again.:D

• 2 weeks later...

1) Which is better for 1st timers.........Glacier or Tracy Arm?

2) What are the temps like at that time of year?

Thanks

1) I preferred Tracy Arm. Much more intimate experience on the small boat tour. Plus I love fjords.

2) We went in July and August. So no idea of May temps.

3) Spent as much time on the balcony as possible. But you need to understand the context. We spend as much time as possible out and about - not in our room. But when we had to be in our room, if I wasn't sleeping or in the bathroom, I was on the balcony. :) I own fleece and a waterproof jacket, so no need to pull the quilt off the bed. :) Oh, and correction: I did nap on the balcony. :p

In May Tracy Arm isn't open to small or ships. The ice can block the entrance and restrict how close you get to the Glacier. Glacier bay is a better choice in May as it opens earlier .

Hasn't been true the last few years from 3rd week of May. I have been on ships that made the transit to the "usual" Sawyer Island, and full access with the add on Allen Marine tour.