Can someone clear up specialty dinning confusion for me?

bbryan5

I read that specialty dinning is going ala carte. When I look at my ncl account for my January 12 cruise, I can still book the restaurants at the one time cover charge. I thought I read that ala carte starts January 1st. So if I pre pay the cover charge now, for say, cagneys, and it's ala carte by the time I sail, what happens? If anyone has any insight I would appreciate it!

I read that specialty dinning is going ala carte. When I look at my ncl account for my January 12 cruise, I can still book the restaurants at the one time cover charge. I thought I read that ala carte starts January 1st. So if I pre pay the cover charge now, for say, cagneys, and it's ala carte by the time I sail, what happens? If anyone has any insight I would appreciate it!

Nobody knows for sure, but logic would say that if that happened then you would get charged or refunded the difference.

It's possible that they would just give you whatever you eat at the previous price.

The other possibility is that the new menus won't actually be on your ship at that time. I'm not sure whether January 1st has ever been officially announced as the date that menus change. That is unlikely anyway as NCL don't tend to change things mid cruise. More likely the new menus will be introduced at some time after that date.

Personally, I would just go ahead and book what you want without worrying about what happens in this situation. It probably won't be an issue anyway.

Maybe get a 3 night speciality dining package, I believe it comes to 69 with gratuities included.. Then you will be covered for apps, one entree, sides and dessert.. It would have been extra for us in November if we wanted two entrees..

Someone on another thread posted that the new menus are coming in March now. Apparently from their Latitudes magazine. That of course, is not applicable if you are on the Escape, as that ship already has the new menu. I will try to find the thread, or perhaps another poster here receives that magazine and can double check for you.

Found it!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2284164

see post #3, that's the mention of the email magazine claiming March. Up until I saw that post I had only heard/read January as well. But this seems to indicate otherwise. Again, who knows with NCL lol. Maybe someone else can confirm if they have received that email as well.

I should have mentioned it's the Gem. Anyway, thanks so much for the help guys/gals I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond. I guess I'll go ahead and book a few and see what happens. Maybe I'll purchase the 3 dinner package. I assume I could use the package at any of the restaurants, cagneys, the hibachi, ect..

Thanks for asking this question, I am leaving on Jan 10 and had the same thought. I think I will wait until I board to make a reservation and cross my fingers they still have reservations open. I have read they leave some open that you can't reserve online. Cagney's is the only specialty I want to go to so booking a 3 day UDP doesn't make sense to me. Hopefully someone that sails the first week of January will have some insight. Happy Cruising!

The plans still apply, if you use a credit you don't pay the a la carte fees.

I did this spreadsheet to illustrate on the Escape:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M2fq7q2sMMrqLdCPAfaA-JHrBd1qxjtdX4MjpFm1NjA/edit#gid=0

If the Specialty restaurants are going al a carte, then why is NCL still giving the Dining package as a perk? I just booked a trip for October 2016 and got the Beverage and Dining packages as a perk.

If the Specialty restaurants are going al a carte, then why is NCL still giving the Dining package as a perk? I just booked a trip for October 2016 and got the Beverage and Dining packages as a perk.

Because the restaurants which are going a la carte are still included in the package.

Maybe someone else can confirm if they have received that email as well.
Everyone can read the Latitudes magazine online here. The current issue has a feature about specialty dining, where they say (about the new à la carte menus) "Now available on Norwegian Escape and rolling out to the rest of our fleet mid-March 2016." Edited by hawkeyetlse

Someone on another thread posted that the new menus are coming in March now. Apparently from their Latitudes magazine. That of course, is not applicable if you are on the Escape, as that ship already has the new menu. I will try to find the thread, or perhaps another poster here receives that magazine and can double check for you.

http://www.ncllatitudesmagazine.com/tabid/120/default.aspx

À LA CARTE SPECIALTY DINING

With the introduction of à la carte specialty dining, there’s even more ways to savor our signature specialty restaurants by choosing the number of courses you wish to enjoy. Whether you’re grabbing your favorite appetizer for a light meal or indulging in a four-course dinner featuring Maine lobster, you can now create your desired dining experience. Now available on Norwegian Escape and rolling out to the rest of our fleet mid-March 2016.

I also have a question, which I'm sure has been answered somewhere, but I'm not sure how to search to find it...I've booked the Epic for next October and picked the dining package (4 dinners) as one of the perks. My question is for those who have the dining package as a perk can you book pre cruise or do you have to wait until you are on the ship? In other words is NCL's website smart enough to know you have the package and you won't be charged if you book pre-cruise for 4 speciality restaurants?

My question is for those who have the dining package as a perk can you book pre cruise or do you have to wait until you are on the ship? In other words is NCL's website smart enough to know you have the package and you won't be charged if you book pre-cruise for 4 speciality restaurants?
Things may change between now and next October, but currently you can book pre-cruise for free (if what you are booking is fully included in the SDP). The website is smart enough not to charge you if you make 4 reservations, but if you continue booking more meals, it still won't charge you. And you can book for up to 8 people each time, and they have no idea who they are or if they all have a dining package. So it's not so smart after all, but it's easy for them, and easy for us. :)

OH MY GOODNESS,... this is all too much for me!!

I'm having a hard time understanding all of this. I was excited to get the dining package when I booked now I wish I went for something else. :confused: Being a newbie is no fun!!