Cirque de Soleil off the Summit?

ronbetty2001

That doesn't mean I'm ready to restrict my entertainment to Bobby Darin records, though!

I'm very tired of "for older generation" comments. I think anyone who restricts themselves is at a disadvantage. I also think those that go with pop culture or stuff that their "generation" "ethnic group", etc. dictate they must enjoy are also at a disadvantage. What I find in a Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Benny Goodman, and if you include popular music a Stevie Wonder or Ray Charles, certainly considered for "older generations" is real musicianship and feeling going into their music. Not this canned, sex symbol stuff coming out of the video age. To criticize the video age and the machine behind doesn't mean old fogie, it may indicate someone who just wants to experience something that doesn't have that type of machine behind it, or at least not to that extent. The most interesting popular music I hear is underground, as it has been for decades, and the most interesting commercial pop music I hear is gospel, people like Yolanda Adams, not counting on her looks and sex appeal but on reaching people through her music. Not trying to be a megaseller on the charts.

As there are many different age groups and people to make choices as to what they like in the universe, the body of music or entertainment that may interest people is vast. For those of any age that like a certain music, even if it is for an energy and feel of a bygone era, it can appear in a product designed for people with that tastes, regardless of their age or generation. I'm glad that Celebrity to some degree caters to this taste, and doesn't have to be just another line offering the same as everyone else. To my tastes, they already offer too much of the same as others and should be more distinguished. But, as the cycle continues to go along, it's volume over distinction and will be that way for some time. But not always.

Just thought I’d add my two-penneth for the sake of it. We were on an Alaska cruise at the end of September (sounds like one of the last Cirque shows).. During the first week (third/fourth night I think) they had the first of their “experiences” when you were asked to wear white and attend with a mask. I had bought masks before I left (I figured as we were going on a TA next April we could use them for both) and wanted to see for myself what all the comment was about. I haven’t seen a genuine show, but heard a lot about it and they were playing the DVDs in the X shop so I can see why pax would be disappointed with X’s version. That said, we arrived late as we were late leaving dinner and when were turned up, we couldn’t get a seat. We didn’t go to the second night, or any other nights so can’t comment how busy it was then. It did empty quite a bit after an hour or so, but it was about 12ish then, so it’s what I would expect.

The experience was a little strange and not really our thing, but at least we can comment because we’ve seen it, rather than (as many people have done) comment negatively about it when they haven’t. My previous X cruise saw this lounge empty most of the time and the room is so large that there would need to be a lot of people in there to make it feel intimate. X tried to do something to change the amount of time this room was underutilised. The Cirque thing probably wasn’t the way to go, but they had to try something to use all that space.

The only main changes, apart from the cosmetic colour scheme was white chair covers on the existing seating and a few dangly things from the ceiling which were mainly above head height. There were four poster-type beds at the front of the lounge, but (IMHO) I didn’t feel that the other changes they had made to the room would affect your view out enough to make a difference.

We went up to the lounge the day we went to Hubbard and sat on one of the beds until we had reached it. I don’t feel that we didn’t see anything as the blinds on the windows were drawn back, so not really a hindrance, and we did have a prime seat as we’d got there early – maybe I’d feel differently had I not had such a good seat.

Now all I have to do is decide what to do with the damn masks now I won’t need them next year.

Sorry I went on a bit!!

For anyone who is interested, Celebrity added a few FAQ's regarding the Cirque departure. Unfortunately, it doesn't say anything more definitive about the revamped experience to come (when expected to debut, what form it will take, etc). Glad they've done this much.

[quote name='AliW'][font=Comic Sans MS]Now all I have to do is decide what to do with the damn masks now I won’t need them next year.[/font][font=Comic Sans MS] [/font][/QUOTE]

Hold on to the masks for the "[b][i]Phantom of the Cirque[/i][/b]" show that's coming to your Celebrity soon. Or wear them when pilfering food from the closed buffet so you can't be recognized on security camera.

This is good news! Read on:

[font=Arial][size=2][color=navy][color=navy][font=Arial]Hello ***[/font][/color][/color][/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2][color=navy][color=navy][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2][color=navy][color=navy][font=Arial]Following up on your question to my colleague Ann Paladie, we would like to explain the context of the situation regarding The Bar At The Edge of The Earth on board Celebrity Cruises ships. [/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2][color=navy][color=navy][font=Arial][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2][color=navy][color=navy][font=Arial][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2][color=navy][color=navy][font=Arial]Nearly a year ago, Cirque took its business relationship with sponsor Celebrity Cruises to a new level when it provided the creative content for The Bar at the Edge of the Earth on two of its ships. As the first season of entertainment in the bar comes to a close, Cirque and Celebrity Cruises are in active discussions to develop a new evolution of the onboard entertainment experience.[/font][/color][/color][/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2][color=navy][color=navy][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2][color=navy][color=navy][font=Arial]This evolution would reflect both brands' desire to deliver more of what Celebrity's passengers and travel agents say they expect from a program involving Cirque du Soleil: acrobatic and artistic performances. As a result, the Cirque content will be moved to the ships's theatres. The bars and their design will be maintained, but the entertainment and projections that used to be featured there will be dropped and replaced by the theatre performances. Special Events personnel will be directing the shows.[/font][/color][/color][/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2][color=navy][color=navy][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2][color=navy][color=navy][font=Arial]For Cirque, the ships of Celebrity Cruises remain excellent venues to showcase our creativity and our creative concepts. When it comes to pursuing our sea-going adventure, we're not afraid to get our feet wet![/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2][color=navy][color=navy][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2][color=navy][color=navy][font=Arial]I hope this answers your question.[/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2][color=navy][color=navy][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2][color=navy][color=navy][font=Arial]Best regards,[/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

[b][font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=teal][color=teal][font='Century Gothic'][b]Chantal Côté
[/b][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font][/b][b][font=Century Gothic][size=1][color=teal][color=teal][font='Century Gothic'][b]Attachée de presse principale /Senior publicist[/b][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font][/b][color=navy][color=navy]
[/color][/color][font=Century Gothic][size=1][color=teal][color=teal][font='Century Gothic']Relations publiques /Corporate Public Relations[/font][/color][/color][/size][/font][color=navy][color=navy]
[/color][/color][font=Century Gothic][size=1][color=teal][color=teal][font='Century Gothic']Cirque du Soleil à Montréal[/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

Macop:

Wonderful news. We once saw a Cirque performer in the theatre that was fantastic... announced that she was marrying the CD who was on stage as her assistant... Nick Weir I believe.

Having the Cirque perform on ships as they have on land is what many cruisers first expected....What the CdS provided was much different and the pax let their opinion be known. I think it's wonderful that X responded and worked with CdS to provide a new level of entertainment.

Archived