Cirque de Soleil off the Summit?

ronbetty2001

This is definitely true. We got off on Friday and the last CDS show was on Monday. There was supposed to be a show later in the week but it was cancelled. Got to know a couple of the wonderful CDS cast members who were headed home. The show WILL continue on the Constellation for the time being, but no decisions have been made yet regarding that ship. No one know exactly what is going to happen to the Bar at the Edge, although without Cirque a lot of the furnishings and appointments will look strange.

ECC, thanks for the information. Do you know if the Bar is open with seating

during the day? Normally that is a beautiful area with lots of windows....

a fantastic view.

Hi Everyone !

Interesting News. Not a total surprise though. One thought... is it possible they are on vacation ?

I feel that most passengers were expecting something more like a Cirque experience they would see in a theater, and clearly, this was something different. I did see it on my last sailing on Summit, and while I did not hate it, it was more of a neutral for us.

I am pretty sure Celebrity has some sort of contract with them, so I would be surprised if Cirque is totally gone.

Hopefully, they will all put their heads together, and try again with a better experience. I do hope they put the lounge back to the way it was previously. I am curious to see what will happen with Cirque on Constellation, and the long term plans for Cirque as a whole. Stay Tuned.

Hi Andy:)

Hope you are doing well.

Just wondered if there is anyone special on Summit you would like me

to send regards?

I know you have sailed her many times and are probably very friendly

with many of the staff and crew.

Let me know, as I leave here for LA next Sunday.

Oh, you are correct. It was a 6 year contract so if it is broken there

will probably be a very hefty price to pay.

I am sure that Celebrity put in a clause that protected them if it wasn't successful. If they didn't I am sure that they would work out some sort of agreement that would benefit both Celebrity and CDS. I would like to say that I am sad that I am going to miss it but I can't. I was indifferent to the whole CDS thing. I am probably in the majority on this one and that is why CDS was unsuccessful. I still think they would have been better off just doing a show. Who decides these things anyway?

Hi Eric:)

"Who decides these things anyway"? Very good question. I am guessing

there is a Marketing Department and whoever else gets involved

with "New Promotions".....I am thinking Chessbriar might

know the answer to this one.

I am wondering if they are going to pull it off Constellation also. On the TA in September they did have the Bar Open during the day to sight see, but the drapery and beds blocked what once was an unobstructed view forward.

While we normally spent a couple hours a night in the disco of the past we only ended up having once drink on two occasions. Even the bar tender asked if he had done something to offend us.

I did notice that they had a number of CDC items on sale in their store. I think the experience was the worst decision Celebrity has made in years. Reminds me of the "New" Coke of a decade ago. Major mistake and short lived.

Yes, the Bar at the Edge is open during the day. It was used by the onboard naturalist for whale sightings and sightseeing through the inside passage several times during our Alaska cruise last week. It is a little difficult to see forward because of the "beds" but there is still a good bit of room on the sides.

Andy, they are definitely not on vacation. It is over on the Summit. We spent a good bit of time with the cast members (who are ready and available for the Constellation) and they are all home now waiting for new assignments. No one really seemed to know what would be happening with the contract between CDS and X, since it was both multi-year and multi-million.

It was a unique experience but probably should have been done differently. We were glad to see their final performance on "stage" and again on another night (when the show was cancelled) as the cast made their way around the ship, then spent some time in Michaels and in the atrium.

Is the bar used as a full disco in the evenings now?

It was used as a disco on non-performance nights already. Someone from this weeks cruise will have to give the new scoop, though, since the changes have only been in place for 2 days. My guess is that things are still in a state of flux.

Ok, thanks:) no problem. I was just curious really.

I will be in LA when those sailing now return. I will find out when I am on

the ship;)

And besides, one of my favorite spots is the Martini Bar. So as long as that

is in full swing I will be just fine:D

from my galfriend who is quite Awesome, to see what is going on. So I await hearing from the Publicity Manager who we both know well on the real truth.

Right now I think it is the changing of the guards. A troupe has been aboard for over 6 months & it is time off time with a new cast coming this week. The folks in the show in Las Vegas change every 3 months to east their muscles & joints.

Since they are partnered with Disney also, a new base in Japan at the new Disney is getting KA, that is at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, opening soon.

Had a discussion with John, the CD on the Summit, about CDS on our 9/09 cruise. He explained that people really didn't understand what they were trying to do with the room. They had revamped the music mix recently for nights when it was just a dance club. He said the "white nights" had been successful but the "experience" nights didn't draw as they had hoped.

Personally, I thought the whole concept was cool. Didn't go to the "white night" but went to the experience and a couple of other times and really enjoyed it. I think perhaps, from reading posts on this board and seeing the majority of passengers on the Summit, that the whole thing was just a little too avant garde for the majority of the folks on the ship. Seems that most would rather be dancing to the tunes of Sinatra and Darin. Just one more reason Celebrity probably will be at the bottom of my choices in the future.

Kudos for Celebrity for trying. Maybe RCCL could convert their ice rinks....

I think that is great news. On the Constellation crossing last month I heard no positive comments about the Cirque.

We will be on the Summit for 28 days in November and I look forward to using the lounge for the canal crossing. All those pax comment cards must have been read and X is giving the lounge back to the passengers.

now if they could just replace the "art????" with ART and the ships would look still better... (guess I'm just not on the cutting edge of culture.. my taste lies with guys who could paint without it melting into a blob)

Jennbill,

I have to agree. I think the whole thing is lost on the majority of the pax on Celebrity. I too think it would go over much better on a ship or cruiseline that does not cater quite so much to the older crowd we encountered on our cruise. I really enjoyed Cirque and had a good time both nights I went. I seriosly can not imagine what I would have done on those nights without Cirque as a choice as I found it difficult to find anything to do in the evenings that interested me. My parents loved Celebrity and have planned another cruise with them for next year...I had a great time , but, like you it will be a while before I sail them again.

In my 4 cruises on Summit and 1 on Constellation I have patronized the CDS venue before and after CDS was introduced. IMHO the whole problem seemed to be that not very many passengers would stay up much past the time the entertainment started. There were some excellent bands that ended up playing to 6-12 people after a while. Some "special" nights were better attended though.

I do hope Celebrity comes up with something that will garner more support for this excellent nightclub on Summit and Constellation.

Hi Andy:)

Hope you are doing well.

Just wondered if there is anyone special on Summit you would like me

to send regards?

I know you have sailed her many times and are probably very friendly

with many of the staff and crew.

Let me know, as I leave here for LA next Sunday.

Oh, you are correct. It was a 6 year contract so if it is broken there

will probably be a very hefty price to pay.

Hi Lois !

Yes, there are a few people I would like for you to send my regards. Can you private email me your email address ?

I am very curious to see where Cirque goes moving forward. Hopefully, you will hear some things while onboard.

Have a wonderful time on Summit. I am sure you will see why we miss this ship so much on the East Coast. At least we will have Constellation here next year.

Hi Bob, from what everyone has been saying there will not be a

"Cirque Experience" on your sailing. Maybe when the folks return from

their 9/30 Cruise, someone can give you a more recent update.

Andy, you should have mail:)

Lets review, since there still seems to be some misunderstanding.

CDS last performance on the Summit was last week. It was not a cast change.No one seems very clear what will happen to the Bar at the Edge of the Earth.

For the forseeable future, CDS will continue on Constellation in its present form (the interactive experience). This may of course change but currently plans are to maintain CDS on that ship.

Based on what I've read here, I have mixed feelings about the "Cirque Experience". While I like to see innovations and diversified entertainment, on the other hand I am sorry to hear that it required alterations that limit visibility in what is one of my favorite locations on any cruise ship.

Archived