Cirque de Soleil off the Summit?

ronbetty2001

I don't consider myself an old fogey, and I don't think one can use dislike of CDS as a hallmark of fogeydom. Some people like CDS and some don't. I find that the "interactive" experience on Summit brings out the mime-hater in me. That doesn't mean I'm ready to restrict my entertainment to Bobby Darin records, though!

I don't consider myself an old fogey, and I don't think one can use dislike of CDS as a hallmark of fogeydom. Some people like CDS and some don't. I find that the "interactive" experience on Summit brings out the mime-hater in me. That doesn't mean I'm ready to restrict my entertainment to Bobby Darin records, though!

I agree with you. I am 47..if that makes me old:eek: well...maybe I am compared

to someone who is younger than me;)

But I love all types of music too...actually ole blue eyes is an old favorite.

But I also love other singers and bands too.

Actually when I went to see the "Experience" on Constellation the evening

was weird..(in my opinion). I guess if going to a show and not being able to hear yourself think is fun...then you might have liked it. It was more like a VERY VERY LOUD disco. I was sitting with friends but truely, the music

was so loud I didn't enjoy it. If that makes me an old fogey....oh well.

I do enjoy all types of entertainment. I just didn't think this was anything

special. And I know others disagree with me....and that is ok too. It is

what makes the world go round.

I would love to see Cirque in Vegas.....it is something that IS appealing

to me;)

as we heard from our friend in the PR of shows Dept, as she is on the road with shows opening, and this what I got so far:

Hello Gals,

I've forwarded your e-mail on to my colleagues in Montreal so you should be getting an update from them.

Thank you!!

Ann

Ann Paladie

Assistant PR Manager

Resident Shows Division

702 352 0226 office

To us she was the gal in the know on shows closing, but accirding to this, something is quite strange. So stay tuned.

Latest News

* Cirque Slips Quietly into "Hiatus"

Cirque du Soleil, at least in the form it has been known aboard Celebrity Cruises, has quietly folded their make- believe tent aboard Summit, and the characters aboard Constellation will do likewise in November.

Meanwhile Celebrity and Cirque du Soleil's creative people are huddling to come up with an alternative to The Bar at the Edge of the Earth. Celebrity spokesperson Liz Jakeway said that something from Cirque is definitely coming back, it just a matter of coming up with the right concept.

I truly believe that if you want to experience Cirque you MUST see the entire shows. The "experience" is wierd - we were on Summit last year. Cirque is unique in itself and you have to see the acrobatics and diversity of the cast in a true Cirque setting, not just walking around interacting. I with there was a way they could "perform" on a ship, any ship, but if you've seen this show you would understand that the performers are experts in their crafts and need a steady platform or stationary high wires for their acts. I do hope Celebrity doesn't loose too much on this. It was a great idea, but not one for the high seas.

Unfortunately aboard a ship at sea, I doubt an insurance company would allow them to perform what they do in a dangerous condition. When I first heard of CDS/Celebrity I thought it was stictly mention each other in advertising, etc just like the airline leaflets that mention rentals, hotels, restaurants. I knew they would not be doing shows aboard.

Then the bar idea was presented which we attended in Montreal & enjoyed it. I posted the review the newspaper up there gave it. Then heard all the disaster Connie got & the President down who were aboard from the cruisers, which I applauded them for speaking up. Then it was a free show but at 11:30PM too late for me normally. But never got to enjoy it aboard.

Now we are cruising Summit & will not have it. VERY SAD! Discos blow, they died in the 80's. I vote for Andrew Bocelli with a small orchestra to entertain in the bar. He could do 3 shows a night 7 nights a week. I'd be at all 21.

I truly believe that if you want to experience Cirque you MUST see the entire shows. The "experience" is wierd - we were on Summit last year. Cirque is unique in itself and you have to see the acrobatics and diversity of the cast in a true Cirque setting, not just walking around interacting. I with there was a way they could "perform" on a ship, any ship, but if you've seen this show you would understand that the performers are experts in their crafts and need a steady platform or stationary high wires for their acts. I do hope Celebrity doesn't loose too much on this. It was a great idea, but not one for the high seas.

In addition to the six year contract they have with CDS -- didn't they also spend a ton of money transforming the lounges??? Seems to me Celebrity has a lot to lose. I was on Summit this year but didn't get to an "experience". Was hoping to try and get to one next March, but apparently that won't happen.

This was the post from Celebrity's Preferred Partnership area of their web-site:

Celebrity is a proud sponsor of Cirque du Soleil touring shows in North America and Europe. As part of this sponsorship, Cirque du Soleil designed The Bar at the Edge of the EarthSM exclusively for Celebrity. As the first season of entertainment in The Bar at the Edge of the Earth comes to a close, Cirque du Soleil and Celebrity are in active discussions to develop a new evolution of the onboard entertainment experience Celebrity offers in conjunction with Cirque du Soleil on Constellation and Summit. Stay tuned for details in the weeks ahead.

Hi Everyone !

Some more thoughts about the end of the current Cirque experience....

In all honesty, you didnt miss very much. It was a nice experience, but thats what it was.... an "experience"... and NOT a show. IMHO, this is why it was probably doomed from the start. People expected a Cirque type show, and probably were disappointed. One thing I did not like about it, was the performers were VERY agressive (at least the time I saw it), and were practically dragging people on to the dance floor. I dont think anyone should have to be forced to do anything they dont want to.

I totally commend Celebrity for giving this concept a try, and I commend them even more, for realizing it wasnt working in its current form. As they have a long term deal with Cirque, I am pretty sure this is not the last Cirque experience we will see on Celebrity, and that's fine by me.

What I truly hope for, is that they work on a dedicated Cirque type show in the theater, and not use the lounge for any future performances. Perhaps they should also consider a "dedicated" Cirque area onboard the Challenger Class ships.

I am not of the "good riddance" opinion. I truly hope that Celebrity and Cirque will come up with the right type of performance for us. On the whole, I think the Cirque concept is an excellent idea, but not in its current form.

Wow! I'm on Constellation 12/3 and my hubby and I booked this vacation for the Cirque experience. This is my first big-ship cruise and we never even considered a cruise vacation until we heard about the Cirque cruises. It is touted as a "Unique Celebrity Getaway" on Celebrity's website---now it's just another cruise (not that 'just another cruise' is a bad thing, but it wasn't what we booked.)

The change made to our itinerary (eliminating Grenada) was also a big loss to us because we chose this out of all the Cirque itineraries so we could see Grenada again. Double-whammy!

I understand that Celebrity has many clauses written into the contracts, and legally they can change anything they want, but I truly feel like the rug was pulled out from under me! It's one thing to change the ports, but it is another to change the 'unique getaway' part. I realize many people didn't enjoy the experience, but for those of us that planned a Cirque cruise, does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

If the itinerary/entertainment were originally scheduled this way, I would be vacationing elsewhere or saving a bunch of $$ and staying home this year. Help! :(

Wow! I'm on Constellation 12/3 and my hubby and I booked this vacation for the Cirque experience. This is my first big-ship cruise and we never even considered a cruise vacation until we heard about the Cirque cruises. It is touted as a "Unique Celebrity Getaway" on Celebrity's website---now it's just another cruise (not that 'just another cruise' is a bad thing, but it wasn't what we booked.)

The change made to our itinerary (eliminating Grenada) was also a big loss to us because we chose this out of all the Cirque itineraries so we could see Grenada again. Double-whammy!

I understand that Celebrity has many clauses written into the contracts, and legally they can change anything they want, but I truly feel like the rug was pulled out from under me! It's one thing to change the ports, but it is another to change the 'unique getaway' part. I realize many people didn't enjoy the experience, but for those of us that planned a Cirque cruise, does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

If the itinerary/entertainment were originally scheduled this way, I would be vacationing elsewhere or saving a bunch of $$ and staying home this year. Help! :(

Hi Dawn, Unless I mistunderstood, Cirque is still on Constellation. I think the

only ship it is being removed from is Summit.

Maybe someone brighter than myself can confirm this for us.

Constellation's Cirque experience will end sometime in November.

From Cruise News Daily:

Cirque du Soleil, at least in the form it has been known aboard Celebrity Cruises, has quietly folded their make- believe tent aboard Summit, and the characters aboard Constellation will do likewise in November.

Meanwhile Celebrity and Cirque du Soleil's creative people are huddling to come up with an alternative to The Bar at the Edge of the Earth. Celebrity spokesperson Liz Jakeway said that something from Cirque is definitely coming back, it just a matter of coming up with the right concept.

Constellation's Cirque experience will end sometime in November.

From Cruise News Daily:

Hi Lois,

The ship description for Constellation use to have a big splash about the Cirque de Soleil experience. That has been removed from the page. This would infer a phase-out.

Hi Lois,

The ship description for Constellation use to have a big splash about the Cirque de Soleil experience. That has been removed from the page. This would infer a phase-out.

While I like to see innovations and diversified entertainment, on the other hand I am sorry to hear that it required alterations that limit visibility in what is one of my favorite locations on any cruise ship.
Bob, I was on the Constellation a month ago, and you are right. It was a dang shame to see such a nice lounge being completely wasted. My husband and I like to walk the ship at night, and the bar was deserted.

Donna

While I like to see innovations and diversified entertainment, on the other hand I am sorry to hear that it required alterations that limit visibility in what is one of my favorite locations on any cruise ship.
Bob, I was on the Constellation a month ago, and you are right. It was a dang shame to see such a nice lounge being completely wasted. My husband and I like to walk the ship at night, and the bar was deserted.

Donna

Archived