good news and bad news live from grand princess

tml1230

Woo Hoo we now have power to the starboard propulsion. They are working on the thrusters now. Got to love how well they are keeping us informed.

We got our AC back around 2PM.

We have gotten to see the islands in a way the last cruise did not. Sitting on our balcony passing it during the day. It has been a beautiful view of Hawaii!

BAD news first…...about 0530 the captain came on and advised the was a small fire on deck 4 near the engine room…we were losing propulsion and had limited lighting…well that certainly wakes you up!

20 minutes later he advised fire was out but we have limited propulsion and limping onwards to Hilo Hawaii, our first port since leaving SF…

GOOD news… we are about 6 miles fro Hilo…

there isn't enough power for brewing coffee and limited lighting in horizon court ….which was a zoo with limited lighting and people acting as if they were rushing to avoid a food shortage…some folks really amaze me….

the cruise has been typical princess quality and we are satisfied ….as others have said , the Grand is showing her age but is well maintained with an OUTSTANDING crew…

did i mention i could use a cup of coffee? its now 0640

We got off just before you left, I guess we got in time. I was wondering why the Grand is late getting to Hilo. Are they taking any stops away?

We're in an aft suite so luckily we have a nice balcony to sit out on, but we still don't have electricity. We ate breakfast in Sabitini's where they served us eggs, bacon, coffee and other cold foods/drinks. This was at 7:30am. Got a free latte at the IC cuz Sabitini's didn't have them. Now it's 10:41am and the Capt just said we can't get the engines going enough to get in Hilo so we're going on to Honolulu for tomorrow. Still no electric to my cabin. Nice balcony weather! :D

We were in D737, on the trip before you. Sabintini's for breakfast was wonderful, I thought the service there was better than any dinner dining room.

We were in D737, on the trip before you. Sabintini's for breakfast was wonderful, I thought the service there was better than any dinner dining room.

We're in the one on the opposite side. Sabitini staff is fantastic! One waiter sang us a Englebert Humperdink song today during breakfast. :)

The Grand is inching her way toward Honolulu at 10.7 knots. What a treat to be cruising during daylight hours. A rarity on Hawaiian voyages. Too bad you couldn't do a drive on the Kona side. Pu'u O'O is rather active above ground now.

http://www.kitv.com/story/30616170/lava-from-the-puu-oo-vent

Grand Princess.pdf

As we prepare to enter honolulu harbor i think its worth repeating the staff response to this incident has been outstanding, we continue to be well informed…we heard some grumblings about missing a port and how Princess "had to make it right"…me i happy everyone is safe…i told my wife i bet princess will do something to compensate passengers but not till they know the full extent of the damage and delays which they won't until today.

Sure enough... there was a letter in our room last evening stating just that….what it will be …i dunno…but they are doing things right and thats worth repeating…

also i have taken to heart the one posters comment "I'm in Pittsburgh and you're in Hawaii stranded" the poster was correct, i wouldn't trade places right now, although i do love the Steelers!

On our first cruise to Hawaii aboard the Star Princess, we missed the first port due to wind. We were reimbursed for port fees. No OBC, nothing like that. It's the captains call. We were all disappointed, but that's what happens on cruises. The other port we missed on another cruise was Victoria on an Alaskan cruise. High seas and wind again. Anyone who plans a cruise must also plan on missing a port, it goes with the territory.

A possible difference in compensation could be because one was caused by nature and this is a problem with the ship.

We were on a cruise where a crew member jumped overboard we missed Hilo too and there was compensation. It was very sad we raised a good deal of money for the gentleman's family.

If a port is missed due to the weather, we expect to have our port fees refunded, but nothing else. Princess can't control the weather.

If the ship breaks down, loses power for an extended time, etc., then I would expect some form of compensation, depending upon how long the majority of passengers were inconvenienced. It could range from a free drink coupon to a cabin credit. Just something to acknowledge that there was a problem.

If a port is missed due to the weather, we expect to have our port fees refunded, but nothing else. Princess can't control the weather.

If the ship breaks down, loses power for an extended time, etc., then I would expect some form of compensation, depending upon how long the majority of passengers were inconvenienced. It could range from a free drink coupon to a cabin credit. Just something to acknowledge that there was a problem.

That is exactly what they will do. If mechanical, they usually step up and take responsibility -- I would assume somewhere around $50 pp in onboard credit ---- based on past experience - but as someone said, maybe a free drink coupon. Carnival might have taught that lesson to all of its subsidiaries during that one failure -- no electricity or working toilets for days, people sleeping on the decks, food was well, not your typical cruise dining experience .... and they offered these people a small discount on a future cruise. That was ridiculous and made into a huge news story.

If missed due to weather -- a 'you're welcome' in my response to thanking them for keeping us safe is all I would expect (and of course, a refund on the port charges).

What I will repeat, at least of the passengers currently onboard and posting on this site, they all appear to be 'half glass full' people ... sounds like they are making the best of this situation. Very gracious indeed!

I am just anxious to hear about the extent of the damage. I am glad everyone is safe. Most of the passengers we are hearing from on this thread seem to be taking things in stride.

When you travel things happen. I think it is mostly those of us who are not on the ship are the ones talking about compensation,

I think Princess handles each situation different as far as any type of reimbursement.

Two years ago on the Crown on a Trans Atlantic from Southampton to Lauderdale, a huge storm came into the area, called St. Jude. The ship stayed in port in Southampton for three days, as it was unsafe to proceed through the English channel. Out of 16 days, we only were able to stop at two ports in order for the ship to get back to Lauderdale on time to start it's next cruise.

The crew was great, with all of us on board for so long and the only thing that they ran out of was lettuce.

Although the entire episode was all weather related, Princess very graciously refunded all passengers one week fare of what we paid plus port charges.

I, too, will be boarding in SF upon your return. Hopefully, everything will be fixed and ready to go 12/10. (I know - none of you want to think about disembarkation!) It sounds like the captain and staff have provided everything they possibly could and more. There are always people ready to complain, even when things are just ducky. Let some force of nature or mechanical failure erupt, and they lose their stinking minds. You can usually spot those types as you are checking in on embarkation day. They are the ones complaining about the temperature of the complimentary beverages or the color of the ink used for the health screening documents. When we hear those folks, DH and I say a silent prayer, "Please Lord, don't put them at our dining table. PLEASE!"

Since the Splendor debacle, I pack a couple of small flashlights and some nutrition bars JUST IN CASE. Of course, since I have started doing that, I have never needed them. So, I will continue to pack them, to ensure nothing goes wrong. :D

It was interesting watching three tugs help us into out docking position. Had a great morning touring Oahu.

The rumor is they have made the repairs, but have not heard anything official.

Turned in our FCC form.

There will always be complainers. I just chose not to join them. Your reaction is always a choice.

I, along with several other posters, will be boarding the Grand the day you return... Just a quick "Thank You" to all the people on board that have kept us up to speed on what's happening... All information is most appreciated.