80,000 VIFP Platinum members

jimbo5544

80,000 platinums means they make up less than 2% of the Carnival cruise population (80,000 / 4,5000,000* = .0177).

You can spin the numbers any way you want, but in the end, platinum cruisers are a small percentage.

*- 4,500,000 self reported by CCL, other sources have the number as high as 10 million.

While I understand the math part, I have no idea what your post means...... what is 4,500,000 and as high as 10,000,000?

I would like to know the criteria that was used to count the Platinums. As an example, did Carnival count a platinum cruiser who last cruised 3 years ago and may be dead by now? What would be the most accurate way to do the counting?

While I understand the math part, I have no idea what your post means...... what is 4,500,000 and as high as 10,000,000?

AFA "what does my post mean" I am using the 80,000 number YOU provided and dividing it by the number of passengers served by Carnival to express the number of Platinum passengers as a percentage of the cruise population.

Carnival provides the 4.5 million number here:

http://www.carnival.com/legal/environmental-reports.aspx

The 10.5 million number comes from here:

http://www.statista.com/statistics/266274/passengers-of-cruise-operator-carnival-corporation-und-plc/

The rest is just math. BTW can you provide a link to where John Heald provides the 80,000 number? I'd be interested in seeing this.

The 10 million number was for Carnival Corporation ships, of which Carnival Cruise Lines is a part of. That number is not relevant to this discussion...The link to the 4.5 million number does not work...

Edited by gklow

The 10 million number was for Carnival Corporation ships, of which Carnival Cruise Lines is a part of. That number is not relevant to this discussion...The link to the 4.5 million number does not work...

Here's a working link to the 4.5 million number:

And yes I agree, the 10.5 number is not broken out by cruise line, that's the reason I didn't use it in my calcs.

I don't doubt the 4.5 million number,.. quick math of 23 ships with about 2500 passengers (avg and maybe a bit low) each and sailing each week (again some sail more often than that with 3 and 4 day cruises) times 52 weeks a year is almost 3 million... so 4.5 million is not out of whack....

But again, point is that 80,000 Plat cruisers is not a huge issue across that many sailing passengers. BUT it does show that with what it takes to make it to platinum or Diamond that many cruisers keep coming back to Carnival. I think it shows good loyalty. I would love to see the same numbers for the other cruise lines just for comparison.

Another problem is that some people who purchase it are not at all informed about the benefits. We had ATD, and liked to show up early, about ten to fifteen minutes before they open the doors. On the first two nights there was a rather long line by the time they opened the doors, and a group of 12 came right to the front of the line. They said that FTTF gave them the right to do this. After the first two days, I went to guest services and asked why Plats did not have this privilege, and I was told that the FTTF people were confused and they would take care of it. Well the next night, they showed up as usual and nothing was done.

I mentioned it to the Matre dee (sp) and the fourth night he mentioned it to them right before the doors opened. They were nice about it, but he still allowed them to stay in the front of the line. The rest of the week, they came and waited in line like everyone else.

Something doesn't sound right here. FTTF DOES NOT give priority for seating or lines for YTD; it only gives priority to GETTING YTD when booking. Platinum/Diamond don't have priority seating either. In other words, if I, as a lowly Gold without FTTF, were first in line, then I would be first in - ahead of any Platinum/Golds behind me, and also ahead of any FTTF folks.

VIPF privileges: http://www.carnival.com/loyalty/benefits.aspx

FTTF privileges: http://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/miami-fl/faster-to-the-fun-101031#

80,000 may not seem like a lot but in those numbers you're leaving out repeat cruisers.

So just because Carnival hosted 4.5 million doesn't mean 4.5 million sailed. We could never really know how many repeat cruisers in a year as everyone has different cruising habits. But for instance I'm Gold and am going on my third CCL cruise this year. If enough people do that it changes the basic math done of 80,000 into 4.5 million being 2% of the cruising population.

In sure that number is much higher too as we see so many posters here that claim to have so many cruisers every year.

Don't look at 4.5M as number of pax sailed but how many 'trips' taken.

We've also sailed on HAL and Princess. Princess has a most traveled party for the top 40 or so pax in terms of days sailed. Many times you won't get in if you only have 400 days. On the cruises we've been on the most traveled pax have in excess of 1500 days.

A thread from the Princess board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45313451

Edited by SadieN

AFA "what does my post mean" I am using the 80,000 number YOU provided and dividing it by the number of passengers served by Carnival to express the number of Platinum passengers as a percentage of the cruise population.

Carnival provides the 4.5 million number here:

The 10.5 million number comes from here:

http://www.statista.com/statistics/266274/passengers-of-cruise-operator-carnival-corporation-und-plc/

The rest is just math. BTW can you provide a link to where John Heald provides the 80,000 number? I'd be interested in seeing this.

It was on a FB page of Diamond members. A long ago poster here runs the page and is on a Carnival Journey with JH and said John mentioned it when meeting with the group on the Sunshine. I really have no idea on what they are basing the numbers on. My guess would be people who have an active (who knows what that means) VIFP number. I have seen listing from my cruises and would say the the Plat/diamond ratio per sailing (on average) is about 150 per sailing (some much higher aka my reference to the Journey cruise and some much lower).

Edited by jimbo5544

In sure that number is much higher too as we see so many posters here that claim to have so many cruisers every year.

You don't believe them? I can show you my sign and sail cards if it would put you at ease (at least for two people).....

According to John Heald, there are over 80,000 Plat's not sure how many Diamonds, but that answer is coming as well. Certainly explains some of the changes to program that have been made.

I guess that includes all those people who they grandfathered up, who theoretically could be platinum with 20 cruise days. Someone was short sighted.

You don't believe them? I can show you my sign and sail cards if it would put you at ease (at least for two people).....

What? I dont even know what youre talking about, calm down. I was talking about the 2% of all cruisers being platinum saying the number is higher.

I guess that includes all those people who they grandfathered up, who theoretically could be platinum with 20 cruise days. Someone was short sighted.

I am pretty sure it is everyone, including those grandfathered in, my guess is that the amount of them that are Plat with 20 days is small, but that is just me. On the other hand there are many with well over the 75, so it kind of works out in the end.

I would have gone, but their squirly Camp Carnival hours prevented me from going :mad: I think the past guest party was at 5 and CC didn't open until 6.

The Platinum/Diamond party is at an inconvenient time. They need to have it at the beginning of the cruise, not the last day. Most people are packing, or out and about enjoying the ship on that last day. I was going to go to it on my last cruise in sept. ... but honestly... I forgot it was happening. I would have been there if it was the beginning. Hopefully they won't do away with it because of poor attendance.

Something doesn't sound right here. FTTF DOES NOT give priority for seating or lines for YTD; it only gives priority to GETTING YTD when booking. Platinum/Diamond don't have priority seating either. In other words, if I, as a lowly Gold without FTTF, were first in line, then I would be first in - ahead of any Platinum/Golds behind me, and also ahead of any FTTF folks.

VIPF privileges: http://www.carnival.com/loyalty/benefits.aspx

FTTF privileges: http://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/miami-fl/faster-to-the-fun-101031#

You are absolutely right, and this was confirmed to me by Guest Services and the Dining staff. The only problem was that the FTTF people did not understand the policy and thought they had the right to go to the front of the line as one of their perks. Several people in line grumbled, but there was a bunch of them and most did not want the hassle.

As I said, when they were finally explained what the program meant when it said priority reservations, they did not get aggressive or pugnacious.

To think or say any Carnival Platinum made that tier in 20 days of cruising is a pretty stupid post. Most frequent cruisers love cruising and after 3-4 cruises do mostly 7 night or more nights per cruise.

I think they were just conveying that it is theoretically possible to be platinum with only twenty sea days. You used a critical word in your post by saying "Most". Most does not mean all. Even if some were at thirty to forty-five days that's still a long way from seventy-five days. I know I have double the sea days of a friend of mine who is platinum and I'm still gold. I just couldn't book three or four short cruises to get to platinum before the change in VIFP club and they could.

Can FTTF also bring 5 passengers? Last cruise there were about 15 with one woman and they all had blue or red cards.

The color of the cards don't change for FTTF people, it's just a small sticker and very likely that more of them were FTTF and you didn't see the sticker?

According to John Heald, there are over 80,000 Plat's not sure how many Diamonds, but that answer is coming as well. Certainly explains some of the changes to program that have been made.

That's amazing. I reached Platinum right after a lot of changes to the loyalty program so I never knew what I was missing.

Where does it say that Platinum/Diamond can take 5 additional people on the tender? I never saw this? On our last two cruises with tender they walked us to the front of the line.

It is listed on the paper that the "drink coupon" comes with. We noticed it last year.

http://cruisingwithradio.com/pics/2014CCLPRIDE/PLATINUM1.jpg

Honestly, I don't see the big deal with offering this perk for up to five friends. I don't think it makes that big of a difference. In my experience, many Plats travel together (families) and while my family is eligible to bring 20 "friends" with us we maybe only travel with an extra one and she is a minor, so she'd tender with us anyway.

To think or say any Carnival Platinum made that tier in 20 days of cruising is a pretty stupid post. Most frequent cruisers love cruising and after 3-4 cruises do mostly 7 night or more nights per cruise.

I became Platinum with 45 days (old system) and still do not have enough days to be considered Platinum by the current standard. I am currently at 70 days and will hit the magic 75 next year. At this rate, I will probably never be Diamond.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

I don't rush or cut the lines to the tenders anymore. If you get in front of the line and board the tender ahead of the other people you still have to wait until it fills up before leaving anyway.

Now, having tenders specifically for platinum/diamonds would be a great perk.

I don't rush or cut the lines to the tenders anymore. If you get in front of the line and board the tender ahead of the other people you still have to wait until it fills up before leaving anyway.

I agree with Anjanu! :)

Getting to the Island or Port first on a tender may be a goal for some. Most are seeking the shady or best locations at the beach or pool.:)

We usually enjoy a leisurely breakfast in the MDR and then make our way down to the tenders after the rush is over. ;)For the most part, we've had no problems finding shady/quiet or even secluded areas on the private islands.

For the tendered ports, an excursion is usually a good idea as they too, come with tender priorities?:)

Now, having tenders specifically for platinum/diamonds would be a great perk.

Careful what you wish for Sheryl! CCL would probably charge extra for this option....:D:D

I agree with Anjanu! :)

Getting to the Island or Port first on a tender may be a goal for some. Most are seeking the shady or best locations at the beach or pool.:)

We usually enjoy a leisurely breakfast in the MDR and then make our way down to the tenders after the rush is over. ;)For the most part, we've had no problems finding shady/quiet or even secluded areas on the private islands.

For the tendered ports, an excursion is usually a good idea as they too, come with tender priorities?:)

Careful what you wish for Sheryl! CCL would probably charge extra for this option....:D:D

.....and people would most likely pay for it..... FTTB Faster To The Beach