Where do you put a mobility scooter when you go to the dining room?

kgmoran

This forum has been wonderful for my husband and I who are learning the ins and outs of accessible travel. We are bringing his scooter (GoGo plus 3 wheel) on a Caribbean cruise on Celebrity in February. We will be taking the scooter to the gate at the airport and reserving an accessible cab to get to the ship. We have a HC cabin. I have read that you can't store a scooter on any public areas but what do you do in the dining room? He can't ride it up to the table like a wheelchair so what are the options?

This will be our first cruise with a scooter so any other suggestions or words of encouragement will be much appreciated

KatieGM

I have not sailed on Celebrity. On Royal Caribbean I drove close to the table and then transferred to a regular chair. The server drove the scooter to a place nearby where it was stored until I was finished with dinner, and then the server brought the scooter back and helped me transfer back. I've also seen a few people drive directly to the side of the table and then pivot the seat to face the table.

In the dining room, one of the waiters normally will park the scooter for him as well as retrieve it when you are ready to leave.

I can walk limited distances and depending on where our table is located in relation to parking area for scooters, I may park my own and walk to and from the table. Since there are two of us with scooters, that can be a bit more efficient. Oh, we always keep our key with us, never leave it on the scooter. We both have a chain or twine on the key. I wear mine around my neck and Ruth wears hers on her wrist.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways

Hi,

I haven't cruised on Celebrity using my scooter but have on several other cruise lines.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS the staff have been very helpful.

I ask where do you want me to park as I can walk small amounts, sometimes they have let me park somewhere out of the way, other times they take me to my table then park it for me, bringing it back when my meal is over.

I am sure your husband is aware of people not seeing him in his scooter, this is more so on cruise ships, it is as though when people are on holiday they loose spacial awareness.

Pete

This forum has been wonderful for my husband and I who are learning the ins and outs of accessible travel. We are bringing his scooter (GoGo plus 3 wheel) on a Caribbean cruise on Celebrity in February. We will be taking the scooter to the gate at the airport and reserving an accessible cab to get to the ship. We have a HC cabin. I have read that you can't store a scooter on any public areas but what do you do in the dining room? He can't ride it up to the table like a wheelchair so what are the options?

This will be our first cruise with a scooter so any other suggestions or words of encouragement will be much appreciated

KatieGM

Who ever told you that your husband can't rise the scooter to the table ? Scooters can most definitely be driven up to the table and than the wait staff will than park it in another location and bring it back when your finished dining.

Helpful tips

• Sometime after boarding proceed to the MDR and check your table location. If there is not a clear path to the table than speak with the Matre'D and request a change in location. 99% of the time you'll be accommodated unless of course if you are traveling with a group which may prevent you from being changed.
  • Make certain to request that the waiter return the key to you after parking the scooter. This is to insure that (1) no one will take it for ride while you're dining and (2) though scooter keys are not unique for like models this will prevent someone from accidently mistaking your husbands scooter for theirs.
  • Attach a cruise luggage tag with your name and cabin number to the scooter because many of the scooters (particularly if rented) look alike.

Edited by xxoocruiser

You just can't store the scooter overnight in a public place. My sister walks with a cane, so she simply parks her scooter in the vestibule outside the dining room area and walks in. If it's a specialty restaurant, she will ask where's the best place to park, and the staff is always accommodating.

Your husband can ride the scooter right up to the table if he needs to and staff will park it for him and bring it to him when you're done with dinner. When you get onboard the first day, you might want to check with the maitre d so that your table is easily accessible from the scooter.

We've been on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and NCL. All have been incredibly accommodating to her scooter needs. We always have a HC cabin and have never had any issues on parking :)

Enjoy your cruise!

Celebrity won't be a problem.

But do ask for a table near the door; this makes life so much easier for you and everyone else rather than having to ride all the way to the back corner of MDR, have a waiter bring the scooter out and then mess about again when you want to leave. There's room outside the Celebrity specialty restaurants as well (except maybe Bistro on Five ????), without it becoming a safety hazard, so don't forget to go and try something different. All of them are good.

• 3 months later...

I have the same question but with Carnival Cruise lines, specifically the Pride. I don't recall there being enough space to drive a scooter to a table, though, of course, I could be wrong since I wasn't specifically checking at the time. We have friends going with us and the wife needs a scooter to get around and they asked us where the scooter gets left when you dine in the MDR. So with Carnival, is it also either to the table or outside the MDR?

I have the same question but with Carnival Cruise lines, specifically the Pride. I don't recall there being enough space to drive a scooter to a table, though, of course, I could be wrong since I wasn't specifically checking at the time. We have friends going with us and the wife needs a scooter to get around and they asked us where the scooter gets left when you dine in the MDR. So with Carnival, is it also either to the table or outside the MDR?

Suggest you go back and read the information stated in Post # 5 of this thread as it applies to any cruise line and answers your question.

Helpfull hint - Suggest always read the entire thread before posting you're question as most of the time previous posts already contain the answer.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I hope all the CC scooter users enjoy every minute of their time at sea. I bring my GgGo Pride scooter with me and the the only problem I have encountered is that when I go out of the dining room my scooter is parked behind so many other scooters that it is difficult to get it out so I can go. I have to ask a staff to shuttle other scooters to free mine.

More and more people are traveling with mobility devices and the cruise lines need to plan for that. We need more HC rooms and great thought about where we will be during our cruise.

I also will now plan on using set time dining as when I had anytime dining it was more challenging to find a table each night that was fairly close by the entrance. I swear the Maitre'D rolled his eyes at me when I requested a table close to the entrance. I can walk to the table with a cane so it was a simple request.

Have fun and I will watch for you on my next cruise. Smooth sailing and happy rolling.

4boysnana

Suggest you go back and read the information stated in Post # 5 of this thread as it applies to any cruise line and answers your question.

Helpfull hint - Suggest always read the entire thread before posting you're question as most of the time previous posts already contain the answer.

With all due respect, I DID read the entire thread including #5. However they were specifically asking about Celebrity. We have cruised on three Carnival cruises and I don't recall there being any room for a scooter to move through the dining room. That is why I was asking about Carnival specifically. I have learned from reading Cruise Critic that every line does things their own way. There are some similarities, but many difference.

I hope all the CC scooter users enjoy every minute of their time at sea. I bring my GgGo Pride scooter with me and the the only problem I have encountered is that when I go out of the dining room my scooter is parked behind so many other scooters that it is difficult to get it out so I can go. I have to ask a staff to shuttle other scooters to free mine.

More and more people are traveling with mobility devices and the cruise lines need to plan for that. We need more HC rooms and great thought about where we will be during our cruise.

I also will now plan on using set time dining as when I had anytime dining it was more challenging to find a table each night that was fairly close by the entrance. I swear the Maitre'D rolled his eyes at me when I requested a table close to the entrance. I can walk to the table with a cane so it was a simple request.

Have fun and I will watch for you on my next cruise. Smooth sailing and happy rolling.

4boysnana

Thank you for this post. I was wondering if, when they let you take your scooter to the table, it was a table close to the entrance, as I don't see how scooters could maneuver further back. My alternate thought was that if they only let the scooters drive to tables near the entrance, my friend is capable of walking that far without the scooter, and could park it outside without inconveniencing a staff member. You answered my question that it is acceptable to park them outside the dining room. Thank you very much for your comment.

With all due respect, I DID read the entire thread including #5. However they were specifically asking about Celebrity. We have cruised on three Carnival cruises and I don't recall there being any room for a scooter to move through the dining room. That is why I was asking about Carnival specifically. I have learned from reading Cruise Critic that every line does things their own way. There are some similarities, but many difference.

Though the original post was pertaining to Celebrity, my response to you was that what was stated in Post # 5 of this thread applies to all cruise lines when traveling with a scooter.

It's important to note that Carnival's Pride of America is the ONLY cruise ship registered to the USA, permanently based in the USA and only sails to USA ports .Therefore the Pride of America is required under the Federal Department of Justice to be fully ADA compliant unlike the hundreds of other cruise ships registered to a foreign flag despite the fact the fact that the parent company may be based in the USA. Which means that the dining staff cannot make your friend park the scooter outside of the dining room and walk in. Nor should your friend feel that he/she should have to walk into the dining . Being that you stated in another post that you friend has Parkinson's it's advisable that he/she ride the scooter to the table and let the dining room staff deal with parking the scooter.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Though the original post was pertaining to Celebrity, my response to you was that what was stated in Post # 5 of this thread applies to all cruise lines when traveling with a scooter.

It's important to note that Carnival's Pride of America is the ONLY cruise ship registered to the USA, permanently based in the USA and only sails to USA ports .Therefore the Pride of America is required under the Federal Department of Justice to be fully ADA compliant unlike the hundreds of other cruise ships registered to a foreign flag despite the fact the fact that the parent company may be based in the USA. Which means that the dining staff cannot make your friend park the scooter outside of the dining room and walk in. Nor should your friend feel that he/she should have to walk into the dining . Being that you stated in another post that you friend has Parkinson's it's advisable that he/she ride the scooter to the table and let the dining room staff deal with parking the scooter.

Thank you for clarifying. However I believe the Pride is registered in Panama,

Thank you for clarifying. However I believe the Pride is registered in Panama,

Confused NCL's Pride of America with Carnival's Pride.

Regardless the dining room staff cannot refused your friend from riding the scooter directly to the table. People do it all the time. I being one of those individuals, regardless of the ship that rides their scooter directly to the table.

Confused NCL's Pride of America with Carnival's Pride.

Regardless the dining room staff cannot refused your friend from riding the scooter directly to the table. People do it all the time. I being one of those individuals, regardless of the ship that rides their scooter directly to the table.

Just wanting to get correct information so as not to be embarrassed by trying something not allowed. :) My only concern at this point is based on another person's reply to me that with YTD (Your Time Dining) it is sometimes hard to get a table that can be ridden to, and we don't want set time dining. We don't want a schedule dining time on vacation. But appreciate all the good information in this thread.

Just wanting to get correct information so as not to be embarrassed by trying something not allowed. :) My only concern at this point is based on another person's reply to me that with YTD (Your Time Dining) it is sometimes hard to get a table that can be ridden to, and we don't want set time dining. We don't want a schedule dining time on vacation. But appreciate all the good information in this thread.

FYI - When not traveling with a group I always do my time dining regardless of the cruise line /ship and have never had a problem getting a table that a scooter can be driven directly to the table. Don't let one person's experience posted on Cruise Critic influence your decision as to how to dine. Remember CC members only represent less than 5 -10% of the cruising population and even less when you factor in those who use mobility equipment. The dining room staff is more that able to handle your request whether it be traditional dining or your time dining.

Edited by xxoocruiser

We were on the Carnival Pride in February. It was my 3rd time with my Pride GoGo Elite traveler Plus (3-wheel). After boarding, DH goes to the MDR to see our assigned table. If it doesn't look like it will work, he talks with the Maitre'd who helps to find a workable table.

In Sept. 2015, we sat just behind the desk and I was able to park the scooter under the stairs, step off the scooter and sit at the table. In February 2016, again talked with the Maitre'd, drove my scooter into the MDR, past the desk to the right (maybe 1/4 into the MDR), drove up to the table, exited the scooter, gave the key to the waiter, he drove the scooter away, and returned to our table with the key. Same thing after dinner; I gave the waiter the key, and back he came with the scooter always advising me that he "filled the gas tank."

We had 8:15 dinner and I always waited until about 8:20-8:25 to drive into the MDR, that way I wasn't in anyone's way as most people were seated.

We were on the Carnival Pride in February. It was my 3rd time with my Pride GoGo Elite traveler Plus (3-wheel). After boarding, DH goes to the MDR to see our assigned table. If it doesn't look like it will work, he talks with the Maitre'd who helps to find a workable table.

In Sept. 2015, we sat just behind the desk and I was able to park the scooter under the stairs, step off the scooter and sit at the table. In February 2016, again talked with the Maitre'd, drove my scooter into the MDR, past the desk to the right (maybe 1/4 into the MDR), drove up to the table, exited the scooter, gave the key to the waiter, he drove the scooter away, and returned to our table with the key. Same thing after dinner; I gave the waiter the key, and back he came with the scooter always advising me that he "filled the gas tank."

We had 8:15 dinner and I always waited until about 8:20-8:25 to drive into the MDR, that way I wasn't in anyone's way as most people were seated.

Thank you for your input, specific to the Pride. Now we know our friend has the option of driving to the table or parking it outside the dining room. These are all things that I never thought about before helping her plan to join us on our cruise.

Please do not be embarrassed or think that you need to worry about getting a table that can be ridden to. It is the job of the staff to accommodate any special needs you may have - not the other way around. They WILL give you a table you can ride to, because you will insist that they do, and should NOT be afraid or embarrassed to do so.

My husband has a Luggie mobility scooter. Recently on our cruise, he just drove the scooter to the dining table (we usually requested a table for 4).

The waiters removed one of the chairs, and we just left the scooter at the table. We usually requested a table a bit out of the way, so there wouldn't be so much traffic going by - it worked out fine.