Mendenhall transport questions

bryan.l.dawson

We are sailing to Alaska this July and we will be in Juneau from 12-9pm

We have a glacier trek scheduled at 1pm. It says it will last four hours. So worst case scenario we are back at the port around 530.

1. If we take the shuttle or a taxi to mendenhall, would this leave us enough time to visit around and possible hike to the falls?

2. If yes to 1. How hard would it be to get a taxi back to the port around 8pm? This would be after the visitor center closes.

What "glacier trek?? It sounds like it may be the fly in with Northstar? Hopefully level 3?

I can't tell, exactly what your plan is? But if you are with Northstar- you do NOT want to waste your time going back to the "port". Because- you are going to have to go back out in the other direction- eating up an hour of time, you do not have.

Instead- arrange a cab pick up right from the airport- direct to Mendenhall.

You need an hour for the Nugget Falls trail. Arrange with the same cab to pick you up- or call for one, about a half hour prior to needing it. There are NO cabs waiting there, you must call or arrange in advance.

We booked it through the cruise line. But I think north star is the vendor. It is level 2. And it dawned on me as I clicked submit if it would be possible to just go from excursion point to the glacier. Good to know about calling or arranging a cab in advance.

Our US att service should be fine in Alaska right?

We are sailing to Alaska this July and we will be in Juneau from 12-9pm

We have a glacier trek scheduled at 1pm. It says it will last four hours. So worst case scenario we are back at the port around 530.

1. If we take the shuttle or a taxi to mendenhall, would this leave us enough time to visit around and possible hike to the falls?

2. If yes to 1. How hard would it be to get a taxi back to the port around 8pm? This would be after the visitor center closes.

They start to closing down the facilities at the Mendenhall Glacier around 5:30PM. Trails are still open but the gate will close when the last ranger leaves the area around 6PM. Taxi would not be easy to get unless you have a cellphone with you.

After the Glacier Trek I don't think you'll be up to a hike to Nugget falls.Glacier Trekking isn't as easy as you'll think. Walking on Glacier isn't easy from someone who did this as per of their work.

Edited by Kamloops50

They start to closing down the facilities at the Mendenhall Glacier around 5:30PM. Trails are still open but the gate will close when the last ranger leaves the area around 6PM. Taxi would not be easy to get unless you have a cellphone with you.

After the Glacier Trek I don't think you'll be up to a hike to Nugget falls.Glacier Trekking isn't as easy as you'll think. Walking on Glacier isn't easy from someone who did this as per of their work.

I disagree, they are doing level 2, which is pretty tame and easy, only 2 hours. I will continue to state the level 3 is way superior. Also probably would have been savings booking independent.

Add to the day- the easy 1 hour walk to/from Nugget Falls. I see no reason why it couldn't be done.

Mendenhall glacier doesn't "close".

We booked it through the cruise line. But I think north star is the vendor. It is level 2. And it dawned on me as I clicked submit if it would be possible to just go from excursion point to the glacier. Good to know about calling or arranging a cab in advance.

Our US att service should be fine in Alaska right?

Northstar is the ONLY vendor who does the extended trekks. Did you happen to look at the level 3 booking independently? Maybe a little cost savings booking direct. That extra hour is significant- 2 hours is too short of a time in my opinion. You barely get out on the ice, when you have to start heading back. Biggest problem is the group only going as fast as the slowest person. The level 3 tours- mostly attract similar trekking people, with the extra costs weeding out some people.

Just a suggestion. When I go out glacier trekking- I go for at least 4 hours, and that time simply flies by. :)

I disagree, they are doing level 2, which is pretty tame and easy, only 2 hours. I will continue to state the level 3 is way superior. Also probably would have been savings booking independent.

Add to the day- the easy 1 hour walk to/from Nugget Falls. I see no reason why it couldn't be done.

Mendenhall glacier doesn't "close".

Your right the Glacier never closes. The rangers and other staff are gone after a certain time. There will be anybody around to help in case of an emergency . When we where there last . They had a sign posted "Not recommended to hike to Nugget Falls when the gates are closed ".

Yes a CTA in case someone gets hurt while on the trail after hours.

Your right the Glacier never closes. The rangers and other staff are gone after a certain time. There will be anybody around to help in case of an emergency . When we where there last . They had a sign posted "Not recommended to hike to Nugget Falls when the gates are closed ".

Yes a CTA in case someone gets hurt while on the trail after hours.

The Visitor Center closes at 7:30p http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5400800

FAR more dangerous, are the people who don't keep track of daylight. Which is absolutely necessary to have at least an extra hour. I guess people seem to think the street lights are going to come on. Was a post review from an end of season visitor, who got scared, and claimed they had to run back- because they had gone there after an afternoon whale watch. Not very smart.

Northstar is the ONLY vendor who does the extended trekks. Did you happen to look at the level 3 booking independently? Maybe a little cost savings booking direct. That extra hour is significant- 2 hours is too short of a time in my opinion. You barely get out on the ice, when you have to start heading back. Biggest problem is the group only going as fast as the slowest person. The level 3 tours- mostly attract similar trekking people, with the extra costs weeding out some people.

Just a suggestion. When I go out glacier trekking- I go for at least 4 hours, and that time simply flies by. :)

Haha. We might be near those slowest. In shape but not hikers really. Some good points raised about time and limits.

It seems like it'll be done by 530 at the latest. And a 20 minute cab ride to mendenhall.

So if the shuttles stop around 7 then we might try the hike (if we are feeling up for it.) good to have all the info about the park not closing. But what is a CTA?

Haha. We might be near those slowest. In shape but not hikers really. Some good points raised about time and limits.

It seems like it'll be done by 530 at the latest. And a 20 minute cab ride to mendenhall.

So if the shuttles stop around 7 then we might try the hike (if we are feeling up for it.) good to have all the info about the park not closing. But what is a CTA?

If you consider what has been recommended, a cab from Northstar to Mendenhall visitor center is 10/15 minutes. Shuttle stop running before 7pm, can be closer to 6pm. The Northstar office will know when the tour is coming back, so I would ask them to call a cab for you, then no wasted time. Or you call during your flight back.

Have no clue what the intent of the above CTA was? But simplistically- may be Call to Action? a term common to emergency responders?

Edited by Budget Queen