Western Carribean - Time Zones?!?!?

VacaytimeRR2015

I can't seem to find a clear answer on time zones - we will be traveling through the Mayan Mystique port schedule and I am unclear about the time zones. I am not booking any O excursions (they are TWICE the money!) but am now worried about the time differences. Some people say the boat does NOT change their time, others say yes.

As an exact example: Schedule says dock (tender) in Belize at 8:00am - would that be 7:00 am Belize time? We have an excursion booked with an outside provider for 8:30am - that would be Belize Time, so that would be 9:30 boat time? SOOOO Confused!!! Please help!:confused:

On a dozen cruises we've only had the ship time as same as the land time. We did Lima-NY in April/May which had a number of central American ports, and the time was always the same.

I think NOT doing so would cause a lot of confusion for the passengers -- for the reason you reference.

Mura

It will always be posted in the Daily Currents newsletter and all tour operators are very aware of the situation. Your guide will know when you are to arrive local time and when the ship departs local time.

As you leave the ship it will be also posted. If there is a difference we always leave our watch on ship's time.

From experience the few times the ship has not changed with the port is when the ship is only in that time zone for one port and they don't want to go back and forth.

Don't worry it is very well organized and publicized.

Change your watch to match the time on the ship

Oceania has always in my experience changed to the time zone they are in

Any private guides will know what time the ship will dock & leave port

Oceania ships go with local time.

I really don't remember whether we hit any time zone changes on this particular cruise, but most countries on this cruise will probably be one hour later than Miami.

Realize talking about time zones can and often be confusing especially the terms gain an hour or lose an hour but, for the type of cruise the OP mentioned, Western Caribbean, the time zone for most of those ports will be Central Time in the US and that is one hour EARLIER than Miami and not later as the poster stated.

Going west the times get earlier and east later so if the trip were Eastern Caribbean the times would be later.

Completely agree that most, if not all cruise ships go with local time of the Port they are at. Remember an east bound TA where one day the clocks went forward an hour for Morocco then the day after Morocco the clocks went back an hour for our next port in Spain. In fact, probably easier and less confusing to use the terms clock back and forward and for the Western Caribbean you will definitely set your clock back from Miami time for most, if not all ports.

Edited by tommiroke