Has Carnval redefined "formal" attire?

There is no "formal" night. It is now called "elegant" night and if you read the rules on the Carnival web site you will see that the only requirement for men is that they wear slacks and a shirt with a collar. Women can really wear any nice dress/slacks with nice top etc.

We particularly enjoy Carnival because DH doesn't really want to dress up but wearing slacks and a shirt doesn't feel like an imposition!

You can definitely pack light!! We haven't checked a suitcase in years!!

Formal nights have been gone for years. During our Oct 2015 cruise on elegant nights we had people wearing tee shirts, and baseball hats to tuxedos. So I feel the MDR is open to anything at this time.

Let's just say that I haven't packed more than what I can fit in a backpack in years. As others have mentioned, the days of truly Elegant nights on Carnival are appropriately long gone. Personally I think that Formal nights are still a highlight on more upscale and elegant cruise lines, but on laid back and budget conscious Carnival, they seem more and more out of place.

Slacks are not even required, jeans are fine. I just wear jeans and a polo or something.

According to Carnival jeans are not permitted on elegant night but then again, I have seen just about everything worn on a Carnival ship on elegant night.

I guess it just depends on the maitre 'd. If he decides to follow the rules and not permit the things that are not allowed then he can. If he decides to look the other way, then it is allowed.

According to Carnival's website:

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted for both men and women: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, t-shirts, sportswear, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/dress-requirements-for-dining

I am not a fan of formal nights, and have not sailed CCL for a decade. On our upcoming January cruise we plan to pack light. What expectation on attire will there be in the main dining?

I have found that a pair of Dockers (or similar) and a knit polo shirt works just fine. You will still see a few that dress like they're going to a prom, but the dress code is more relaxed than it used to be.

I have found that a pair of Dockers (or similar) and a knit polo shirt works just fine. You will still see a few that dress like they're going to a prom, but the dress code is more relaxed than it used to be.

Going to a prom? Some of us love to dress up, wear a tux, a long gown but we certainly don't look like we are going to a prom. Maybe a Marine Corps ball, a charity fundraiser gala but we never look like teens going to prom.

The great thing is you can wear anything from dress slacks and a collared shirt to a tux for men and a pant suit or dress or formal full length gown for women on elegant night. I have seen it all and I love to see people dressed to the nines, it's great people watching, much nicer than some of the stuff I have seen while people watching on Carnival.

Edited by LTS1960

Why not have your cake and eat it too?

Okay, this may seem tacky, but hey, it's Carnival!

tuxedo-tshirt-front.jpg

A tuxedo T-shirt!.

Just tuck into black slacks, a belt, and go for it! I think you'll be a hit!!

Many styles are available, just Google tuxedo t shirt and see.

It would be MUCH better if it were long-sleeve.

I love the elegant nights, as you're bound to see about everything when it comes to dress styles. You'll see the dockers/jeans and polo shirt to tuxes and formal evening gowns. I've always thought there's a free feel to it, where you can wear just about anything and not feel out of place.

You will be fine with a pair of khakis and a shirt and tie(some even wear polos). I still bring a jacket for the first formal night but I'd estimate 1/2 of the men don't wear a suit or jacket. I'd say even about 10-20% wear jeans(.

It's much much different than 10-15 years ago on Carnival. It does work for us as I think the less emphasis on elegance has made it easier for family travel. I like to think the elegant nights on Carnival are like shopping at Target and Walmart (which is ok we certainly do it). Other lines (Celebrity, Princess, and most RCCL ships) elegant nights are more like Macy's or Nordstrom lol. They both serve their purpose and guest requirements. Family cruising with lowered requirements or expectations on elegance but still a great vacation, Carnival hits the mark. An anniversary or other special occasion cruise where you want to emphasize on elegance and a bit more of higher amenities(you will pay a little more) some of the other lines are the way to go.

For the record we are booked for a Carnival cruise in January and I'm sure we will have a great time. Have a great trip.

I am not a fan of formal nights, and have not sailed CCL for a decade. On our upcoming January cruise we plan to pack light. What expectation on attire will there be in the main dining?
Edited by MikeMA

You will be fine with a pair of khakis and a shirt and tie(some even wear polos). I still bring a jacket for the first formal night but I'd estimate 1/2 of the men don't wear a suit or jacket. I'd say even about 10-20% wear jeans(.

[...]

For the record we are booked for a Carnival cruise in January and I'm sure we will have a great time. Have a great trip.

Thanks. I thought I had read that CCL had recently "adjusted" the formal standard, and I am glad that has been confirmed. I recall the days of "rent the tux" nights that were akin to prom night.

I hope for the two of us that mother nature is kinder this year. After that 9 feet of snow last year we nearly canceled this cruise.

Gerry,

I hope so too! Those back to back 2 foot blizzards killed us. I remember having to shovel a moat around my 4 foot chain link fence in the yard because the snow was so high my dog could walk right over it (not fun as I have a large yard). Never mind the roof raking etc to prevent the ice dams etc.

I purposely booked our trip in January just in case we had another terrible winter. I figured a week in 80 degree weather would cheer us up lol.

I made sure to fly down a day and a half early though just in case. You can bet I'll be watching the weather that week before to and if we have a storm coming I may have to bite the bullet and leave an additional day earlier.

Enjoy your trip we all need the Rest and Recovery!

Thanks. I thought I had read that CCL had recently "adjusted" the formal standard, and I am glad that has been confirmed. I recall the days of "rent the tux" nights that were akin to prom night.

I hope for the two of us that mother nature is kinder this year. After that 9 feet of snow last year we nearly canceled this cruise.

According to Carnival jeans are not permitted on elegant night but then again, I have seen just about everything worn on a Carnival ship on elegant night.

I guess it just depends on the maitre 'd. If he decides to follow the rules and not permit the things that are not allowed then he can. If he decides to look the other way, then it is allowed.

According to Carnival's website:

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted for both men and women: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, t-shirts, sportswear, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/dress-requirements-for-dining

I have already gone over this in other threads. One of two things is happening. 1) Carnival has not updated their website yet or 2) certain ships follow different rules. Either one could be as likely as the other. I posted pics in another thread of the Fun Times on the Dream and jeans were clearly allowed. The only rule was no shorts or flip-flops. It was basically the same dress as any other night, you just had the OPTION of dressing a little more elegantly.

I have dined on Princess next to young men with Tats all over their arms and shorts. Granted not on formal night, but still.................

and I did not and would not complain. but it does sort of take away the atmosphere.

The women and girls who come into the Lido Buffet as near buck nude as they can get.......that annoys me. It embarrasses me for them.

Other than that.........Formal Night on Carnival. My husband wears slacks. A white shirt or white polo. A black sweater, not sneakers and he blends in well.

He takes a suit on Princess. Next fall, God Willing, we will sail for the first time on RCI. He will take his suit. He takes a suit on HAL too.

WHICH line does he like to Cruise? CARNIVAL. every time.

Carnival has just about redefined everything they used to offer. If youre nostalgic for the old days, book a journeys cruise. Otherwise, it's a skeleton version of their old days, at a motel 6 price.

Let's just say that I haven't packed more than what I can fit in a backpack in years. As others have mentioned, the days of truly Elegant nights on Carnival are appropriately long gone. Personally I think that Formal nights are still a highlight on more upscale and elegant cruise lines, but on laid back and budget conscious Carnival, they seem more and more out of place.

Well said I agree 100 percent.

Not me, I love dressing up for elegant nights. I also don't care what anyone else wants to do. I live in blue jeans and t-shirts and that is my daily work attire, since I'm an archaeologist. I love wearing beautiful long dresses and will continue to do so whenever I have the opportunity.

On Carnival dressing up on elegant or formal night has been abandoned by the guests. I stopped bringing a tux and just wear a shirt and tie and I'm better dressed than half the men.

I got off the Carnival Pride two weeks ago and noticed that just about anything went for the formal/elegant nights. I still saw some long gowns and fancy cocktail dresses, but many were in day dresses or nice pants outfits. Some men were in suits, but others in sport jackets or dress shirts. But also note that on an RCI cruise (Explorer of the Seas) just a year ago that people weren't dressing up like they used to. Perhaps slightly dressier than Carnival but not much.

I think times have changed. No longer when you go to a play or concert people are dressing up to the hilt. That's very different from twenty or thirty years ago, and frankly makes me and hubby happy that we can be more comfortable.

On Carnival dressing up on elegant or formal night has been abandoned by the guests.

Thats whats happened. I don't think Carnival had much to do with it. The market force decided it. I like "nice casual", like khakis and a polo, etc. Its personal for me. After wearing uncomfortable fireproof Nomex overalls and steel toe shoes for 30+ years working 12 hr. shifts, I want total comfort on a cruise while I get away from it all.

Only thing I don't want is a people wearing tat displaying wife beater undershirts, gym shorts, flip flops, and backward baseball caps in the MDR. Thats going too far.