Has Carnval redefined "formal" attire?

Why not have your cake and eat it too?

Okay, this may seem tacky, but hey, it's Carnival!

tuxedo-tshirt-front.jpg

A tuxedo T-shirt!.

Just tuck into black slacks, a belt, and go for it! I think you'll be a hit!!

Many styles are available, just Google tuxedo t shirt and see.

It would be MUCH better if it were long-sleeve.

I actually saw someone in this exact t-shirt on elegant night on our last cruise. It was pretty tacky

Women have dressed less than "formal" for years. What's dressy about black slacks and a fru-fru top...really. I wear that to the office. Nice that men have caught up and are enjoying being comfortable, too.

There was a time when I would rent a tux onboard, thus my screen name. Now I would only bring a suit if we planned on a formal photo.

I think that it is funny that I can go to a restaurant in town that is a James Beard Awarded restaurant that costs $250+ to eat there and everyone is in jeans and a dressier shirt and then I can go on a cruise for not much more and there are people so focused on what others are wearing. For me, I always wear a semi formal dress and hubby wears a suit but I couldn't care less what people are wearing around us. It is your vacation, do with it what you may. :)

I am not a fan of formal nights, and have not sailed CCL for a decade. On our upcoming January cruise we plan to pack light. What expectation on attire will there be in the main dining?

I just got off the Splendor and while most people made an attempt and looked great, it also appeared that a NASCAR T-shirt, dirty jeans and Skoal ballcap is permitted during "elegant" night.

Still 99% made a decent attempt to follow the rules. Wear what you want, Carnival will let you in.

it's not only cruise ships, I see more jeans in church. When I was a kid people dressed to the nines for church.

A few years ago, I was telling my mother about my daughter's new Easter dress and she asked what my son was getting. I told her a new pair of blue jean shorts. For church. He finally stopped wearing shorts on Sunday morning, he decided since he was out of high school so he'd start wearing jeans and a polo. :)

Of course, we live in Florida, it was totally different when we lived further north.

That being said, I wore a nice dresses on our formal nights and hubby wore a suit one night and I can't remember for the other one, maybe khakis and a button-down. The other nights, he wore khakis and a polo. I saw a few tuxes and quite a few suits, and also plenty of women in long dresses.

The great thing is you can wear anything from dress slacks and a collared shirt to a tux for men and a pant suit or dress or formal full length gown for women on elegant night. I have seen it all and I love to see people dressed to the nines, it's great people watching, much nicer than some of the stuff I have seen while people watching on Carnival.

I (and my family) love to dress up, but this year we got less formal dresses, and I am leaving my full TUX at home. I enjoy wearing it, but i have lost some weight and it now needs several modifications. For me, I will be in dark pants and dress shirts, but I plan to wear some vests and ties to color coordinate with my wife and kids.

So for us we are dressing down a bit, but still dressier than most.

We are going on Our first cruise dream DEC 27th. New years eve cruise! Hippy. I will be wearing a elegant non hoochie momma dress and hubby a suit. I feel to dress for a special night is exciting...I work in a small business casual and hubby in a gas pipe line factory. I honestly don't care what other folks wear ...This is my happy place and I will party in my formal next to someone in shorts. To each there own. Hubby and I are so looking forward to this first honeymoon after 18 years...lol

i think that it is funny that i can go to a restaurant in town that is a james beard awarded restaurant that costs $250+ to eat there and everyone is in jeans and a dressier shirt and then i can go on a cruise for not much more and there are people so focused on what others are wearing. For me, i always wear a semi formal dress and hubby wears a suit but i couldn't care less what people are wearing around us. It is your vacation, do with it what you may. :)

^^this

Carnival did not redefine "formal", passengers did. Causal dress is becoming the norm for many passengers and permitted by Carnival...

Exactly. Carnival still states that jeans are not allowed in the dining room on elegant nights but if you read half the comments here obviously they don't enforce their own rules.

It's the passengers that have driven the changes in dress not Carnival.

I am not a fan of formal nights, and have not sailed CCL for a decade. On our upcoming January cruise we plan to pack light. What expectation on attire will there be in the main dining?

You can read the dress codes on the Carnival website under FAQ and Dress Requirements for Dining.

Exactly. Carnival still states that jeans are not allowed in the dining room on elegant nights but if you read half the comments here obviously they don't enforce their own rules.

It's the passengers that have driven the changes in dress not Carnival.

Last week on Cruise Elegant night the Fun Times stated "no cut-off jeans". It did not say "no jeans".

Last week on Cruise Elegant night the Fun Times stated "no cut-off jeans". It did not say "no jeans".

What does it matter? The rules are enforced differently from ship to ship and from maitre d' to maitre d', that is when the rules are enforced which is rarely the case.

What does it matter? The rules are enforced differently from ship to ship and from maitre d' to maitre d', that is when the rules are enforced which is rarely the case.

I agree that rule enforcement is lax, and will vary ship to ship, but why it matters is someone is stating something that Carnival doesn't even state. Just offering a correction based on very recent experience of what a December 2015 Fun Times says.

I enjoyed all our MDR meals, but there was absolutely nothing special about Elegant night. To me it was the same as every other night in the MDR. I just saw more photo opportunities around the ship (or so it seemed) than normal.

None of the major mass market cruise lines now make elegant/formal/chic/gala/dress up or not night anything special like they did in years past.

Below is from the Carnival website so obviously there is a conflict somewhere, it states no jeans, not no cutoff jeans.

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted for both men and women: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, t-shirts, sportswear, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Edited by LTS1960

Below is from the Carnival website so obviously there is a conflict somewhere, it states no jeans, not no cutoff jeans.

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted for both men and women: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, t-shirts, sportswear, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

I'm just stating what the Fun Times on my desk says for Cruise Elegant night.

"Ooh la la! Sometimes it's fun to get all dolled up and debonair on vacation! We know you'll look totally swanky tonight, but please note that the following attire is not allowed in the dining rooms: cut-off jeans, men's sleeveless shirts, shorts, t-shirts, sportwear, baseball hats, flip-flips and bathing suit attire."

There you go, word for word.

I stated this early..page 1..in the thread and was told I was wrong.

I guess if you get by with it, then it is okay. Forget the rules, do as you want, not as the Carnival FAQS states.

oops...quote button is not working was quoting lts1960

Edited by ready2cruzagain