North Pole from Fairbanks

toothmaker

My wife and I will be in Fairbanks, AK in May of next year and we want to visit North Pole. Are there tours from Fairbanks to North Pole? Thanks

you know this already but

to avoid any disappointment,

North Pole Alaska is not the north pole.

it is south of Fairbanks

not north

but you knew that

The community of North Pole is about 12 or so miles from Fairbanks, and I don't know of any tours which would go there. If you really want to go then just rent a car.

It is a "bedroom" community to Fairbanks, and is the other incorporated community within the Fairbanks North Star Borough (i.e., it has an elected mayor, its own police department and so forth). Most folks who live there work either in Fairbanks, Ft. Wainwright or Eielson AFB. In addition to a grocery store, restaurants and small businesses it has a large store devoted to over-priced Christmas items. Additionally, a number of the streets have holiday related names (i.e., Santa Claus Lane).

with your question about "tours" to North Pole, tells me, you probably are not realizing the facts of this place. Highlights are a gift Shop, and maybe the post office. Some business have candy canes stripes in their design, but that is about it. Fairbanks, is a city that really needs a car rental. You are VERY limited without on. Could easily add the North Pole and continue down the Richardson for more touring.

with your question about "tours" to North Pole, tells me, you probably are not realizing the facts of this place. Highlights are a gift Shop, and maybe the post office. Some business have candy canes stripes in their design, but that is about it. Fairbanks, is a city that really needs a car rental. You are VERY limited without on. Could easily add the North Pole and continue down the Richardson for more touring.

You are giving the place more credit than it deserves. The only reason to go there is if you really have a need to buy Christmas stuff in July or you want to drive on Santa Claus Lane which as actually named Badger Lane until it crosses the town boundary line. You don't even have to do that any more as I am sure that you can buy Christmas stuff off the internet in July with a better selection and better prices. There are far better things to do in and around Fairbanks than going to North Pole. In fact, almost anything that you can do in Fairbanks is better than going to North Pole.

BTW - according to Wikipedia, the location of North Pole is 64°45′04″N 147°21′07″W. That is hardly the location of the North Pole.

DON

I'm wondering just exactly what you mean by wanting to visit the "North Pole." Do you mean you want to go north to the Artic Circle, or do you want to visit the small community of North Pole?

If you're talking about the "North Pole" that is in the Fairbanks area, I fear you may be disappointed. On our first trip to Fairbanks in 2005, I couldn't wait to go to North Pole. I'm a Christmas fanatic and an ornament collector, and I thought I would find some unique Christmas decorations there. Didn't happen. We were there the first week in June, and it was unusually hot for Fairbanks. Imagine my surprise when we went to Santa Claus House in North Pole and found Santa walking around in his undershirt. Yep, a wife beater. Not a great memory. Not only that, but I didn't find anything there that I couldn't find at home. I did order a couple of "Letters from Santa" to be sent to youngsters in the family, but you can do that online without having to visit the store.

If you have a rental car, like we did, it's not much of a trip and can satisfy your curiosity. Otherwise, I'm not sure it's worth too much time or expense. JMHO.

We were there the first week in June, and it was unusually hot for Fairbanks. Imagine my surprise when we went to Santa Claus House in North Pole and found Santa walking around in his undershirt. Yep, a wife beater. Not a great memory. Not only that, but I didn't find anything there that I couldn't find at home. I did order a couple of "Letters from Santa" to be sent to youngsters in the family, but you can do that online without having to visit the store.

Now 10 years later w global warming, Santa is probably wearing an undershirt and baggy shorts. That must look really Christmasy. We stopped in North Pole on our way from Fairbanks to Denali - to use the rest room at the local McD that was close to the highway. That was enough for us.

DON

I'm wondering just exactly what you mean by wanting to visit the "North Pole." Do you mean you want to go north to the Artic Circle, or do you want to visit the small community of North Pole?

You have been on CC for almost 15 years. Not sure how long you have been reading the Alaska forum, but not once since I started reading it have I ever, ever read of someone posting about going to "the" north pole above the arctic circle. I would make a large bet with anyone who really doubts the OP's intentions :D

You have been on CC for almost 15 years. Not sure how long you have been reading the Alaska forum, but not once since I started reading it have I ever, ever read of someone posting about going to "the" north pole above the arctic circle. I would make a large bet with anyone who really doubts the OP's intentions :D

Maybe that's because I'm currently planning my trip next year which will include trips to Nome and Coldfoot and I'm a little fixated on the northern north and that thought was in the front of my mind when I replied. Or maybe my trips to Antarctica and Churchill have deluded me into thinking that other people actually want to go to cold places, too. Or maybe I've been watching too many Christmas movies on the Hallmark Channel.

You're right, I've been here a long time and have been on and off the Alaska boards for years reading, learning, and often being entertained. One thing I have learned after 15 years on Cruise Critic is to never assume I understand what people want to know. Half of the people don't even know what they want to know. And some of the people who think they know something don't always know it.

So stay tuned for more inane comments. I've got hundreds of them.:D

• 2 weeks later...