Luggage allowance virgin australia

While in Australia I will be traveling via Virgin Australia city to city. I'm having difficulty in finding luggage that will meet their checked luggage requirements of 140cm., which I believe is 55 inches total. Anyone know how strict they are on this? I know you can't go over the weight limit of 50 lbs. I'm thinking I may have done a little too much shopping for this trip!

Thanks in advance for your help.

It is probably more important to keep within the 50.6 lbs (23 kg) than worry too much about the size of the suitcase. Usual 'international size' cases are acceptable.

Carry on baggage allowance is 7kg (15.4 lbs).

In addition to the carry-on baggage allowance, one of the following personal items may be carried in the cabin:

• A laptop computer*, handbag, pocketbook or purse (of reasonable size)
  • A wrap, a blanket, or an overcoat
  • An umbrella without metal points, or a walking stick
  • A small camera or pair of binoculars
  • A reasonable amount of reading matter
  • A pair of crutches or prosthetic devices – for use, provided that the guest is dependent on them for mobility

We usually fly with Qantas, but we have noticed in the past that Virgin was more strict with luggage allowance than Qantas.

All the best. :)

I have noticed that they randomly weight carry on luggage..ESP if it looks heavy.

So don't groan when you pick it up lol. More importantly is the size, they have a test frame this is to ensure that it will fit in the overhead compartments which to my mind are getting smaller, or are my bags getting bigger

One more question re: Virgin Australia. It states they only allow 15lbs for your carry on and purse, do they actually weigh your carry on?

Thanks again!

I have not had the carry-on luggage weighed on Virgin (once on Singapore Air), but sometimes passengers are asked to see if it fits in the test frame at the departure gate. I would think at that time it would be a bit late to check it in anyway. :)

On reading the Virgin website it sounds like the 7 kg (15.4 lbs) weight allowance is for your hand luggage and purse combined. On Qantas, I think it is 7kg for the hand luggage plus a purse. I hope I am correct in saying this. My purse is a fair size and probably weights a couple of kilos.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Virgin Australia is very strict on the weight of your undercarriage bag. And it costs HEAPS for every KG over the limit. But I have never had my carry on weighed. As stated already, the size of your carryon is generally noted. Handbags, computer bags, etc are over and above your carryon item. These have never been included in the 7kg or weighed.

Virgin Australia is very strict on the weight of your undercarriage bag. And it costs HEAPS for every KG over the limit. But I have never had my carry on weighed. As stated already, the size of your carryon is generally noted. Handbags, computer bags, etc are over and above your carryon item. These have never been included in the 7kg or weighed.

I see from the list that they allow one item (purse or computer bag or camera or overcoat) in addition to the 7kg carry-on case.

Carry on everything you can on the list posted above, because if your checked luggage s overweight you will PAY.

I have seen them weight carry ons but not very often so my suggestion is try and stay in the limit.

I have not had the carry-on luggage weighed on Virgin (once on Singapore Air), but sometimes passengers are asked to see if it fits in the test frame at the departure gate. I would think at that time it would be a bit late to check it in anyway. :)

If needed they can redirect baggage to checked luggage at the departure gates.

There's usually a separate door nearby the gate that takes you straight down to the tarmac, and I've seen them take luggage out that way when an issue has arisen with it. So it is possible.

If needed they can redirect baggage to checked luggage at the departure gates.

There's usually a separate door nearby the gate that takes you straight down to the tarmac, and I've seen them take luggage out that way when an issue has arisen with it. So it is possible.

OK. I thought they should have some mechanism to do that. I would be concerned the extra bit of luggage wouldn't make it onto the correct plane. :)

I flew with Virgin SYD-BNE-CNS last night and hand luggage for a number of passengers was taken and moved to under carriage/checked luggage. The bags were duffle style bags and obviously oversized and attracted some attention.

At the same time a blind eye was turned to other passengers oversized backpacks. I think enforcement on this issue is quite haphazard but obviously large hand luggage does attract attention.

Keep your bags to the acceptable size and you will be able to fit them in the overhead storage which I agree is getting smaller! You won't draw attention to yourself if you are slightly overweight I think.