Can anyone currently on Gem give me a waterslide update?

plum24

I just checked the website. The only weekday workday that they are in port in NYC is Wednesday dec 23

So if it were me in charge I'd be making sure it was scheduled for inspection and guaranteed to pass on that day!

If for no other reason but to stop looking like a ship of fools with a clown in charge

And

To show all of us on cc up and say...haha we got it done

What stupidity to not get it done by the dec 23 cruise!!!

They jack up the price and the dates cover both Christmas and new year

This is a great way to show those pax what a great company ncl is...or isn't.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I hope they give you lousy service in return. You know, on principle.

And that would be the perfect reason for the poster you quoted to reduce the dsc....so your point makes no sense as he:she isn't reducing it for lousy service but rather reducing for diminished...I.e. Less than agreed upon service.

Also with the new method of reducing dsc not a soul onboard needs to know why you reduced it and actually won't know as you make the reduction after the cruise is over. Lol

As far as reducing the dsc...crusin6 is on the right track because Ncl seems to not care about their pax

The only thing reducing the dsc will hurt is ncls pocketbook because they pay the crew regardless

Also if the pax does not receive the total and complete use of the pool deck then that is the absolute best reason to reduce dsc...because remember we need to tip all those back room maintenance crew....and who ever takes care of the pool deck falls into that category

No slide means less service work for crew means less use for pax means lowering dsc

If Ncl gives an obc that is one thing but if they don't....then a reduction in dsc is appropriate because you received less service be cause remember we must now tip the maintenance crew. Lol

I'm on the jan 2 cruise and you can bet that if the slide is inoperable AND I don't get a realistic obc....I will reduce the dsc too...and my reason on the form will be the maintainence

Crew had less work to do and I received less service...so why am I tipping them?

The posters don't seem to understand that the crew gets a salary. Reducing dsc won't reduce salary. However mentioning a particular crew member who isn't doing their job will hurt the crew member come time off and contract renewal.

Reducing dsc because of a slide maintainence issue will not hurt the crew as there will not be a particular crew member to point out but it will get Ncl to straighten up

My guess is the slide will be working by dec 23 cruise or it will cost Ncl a fortune in bad publicity and obc that the pax will demand.

Edited by luvtheships

Do we actually know that Ncl is waiting for an inspection to open the slides ?

- It's been talked about....but is it something official ?

If so, where would that inspection take place ?

- Nyc because it's the homeport ?, Bahamas because the ship is registered there? the drydock took place in the Bahamas... probably anywhere in the the US since Ncl is based in Florida...would an inspector from the US Virgin Islands work ? ... I am just thinking out loud here...

On the trial runs after the installation of the slide on the Gem, every one was getting stuck in the slide because it was too slow....would THAT be the issue ? is Ncl waiting on a new section of the slide that would correct that problem ?

Just saying....

Have fun !!

Reducing dsc because of a slide maintainence issue will not hurt the crew as there will not be a particular crew member to point out but it will get Ncl to straighten up.

It's been my understanding that a portion of the DSC funds the crew member incentive programs. If that's true, then I suspect reducing the DSC impacts these incentive programs prior to hitting NCL's bottom line.

I'm not agreeing/disagreeing about everyone's disappointment with the slide. I just get sensitive when it seems you may be taking it out on the wrong people.

It's been my understanding that a portion of the DSC funds the crew member incentive programs. If that's true, then I suspect reducing the DSC impacts these incentive programs prior to hitting NCL's bottom line.

I'm not agreeing/disagreeing about everyone's disappointment with the slide. I just get sensitive when it seems you may be taking it out on the wrong people.

But incentive programs are not crew salary

So no out of pocket loss for crew

Less time off...um maybe

Less booze at crew party...could be

But if they are doing less work then I should be able to tip them less. Tipping crew other than stewards and waiters is ridiculous IMHO so this is what happens when you try to suck a tip out of pax to cover workers that they would not be expected to tip in the real world.

The point is there is no real way to get Ncl to listen other than loudly complaining and demanding...as in dsc...or...hitting them in the pocketbook...as in reducing dsc It's too late to cancel the cruise at this point but that isn't realistic and hurts no one but the pax as Ncl gets to keep your money plus resell your cabin

Ncl will listen only when you cost them

Money as in reduced dsc

Fwiw their bait and switch and incompetence is showing on a daily basis now and I can't wait to hear what sort of compensation the offer

They won't have happy campers on that dec 23 cruise if it's not running

My fear is that Ncl will open the slide even without an inspection for the dec 23 cruise just so they don't need to fork over obc or listen to the complaints

Then close it for jan2 when the ship will be filled with young adults equally looking forward to the slide

I've done the very early jan cruises and the demographic is young adults...couples....singles...college kids with their families....college professors....pre school families and finally the 55 and over empty nesters

The cruise is cheap and appealing and the crowd WILL be expecting the slide open

Weekday, shmeekday. Work happens ALL THE TIME on weekends, too, when needed.

Naturally the NCL supervisor who was supposed to call me back today did not, so I'll be on the horn again in the morning. Forget Xmas cruise, I see no reason why MY sailing on the 13th shouldn't have working equipment. There will be tons of kids on that cruise, if the folks on our roll call are any indication.

OBC would be nice, but having the slide would be much better.

Do we actually know that Ncl is waiting for an inspection to open the slides ?

- It's been talked about....but is it something official ?

If so, where would that inspection take place ?

- Nyc because it's the homeport ?, Bahamas because the ship is registered there? the drydock took place in the Bahamas... probably anywhere in the the US since Ncl is based in Florida...would an inspector from the US Virgin Islands work ? ... I am just thinking out loud here...

On the trial runs after the installation of the slide on the Gem, every one was getting stuck in the slide because it was too slow....would THAT be the issue ? is Ncl waiting on a new section of the slide that would correct that problem ?

Just saying....

Have fun !!

Getting stuck on the new one too??

I'm giving it a few days but so am I calling. I hope the dec 23 roll call is aware too

As I stated in a previous post...

I called NCL (Concierge Service) and they told me the waterslide will be unavailable for use on the next two cruises. I am not sure of the dates of the next two GEM cruises.

I was willing to transfer my January 22nd cruise to the Breakaway if the waterslide was not ready by then. They assured me that it will.

That is how I received this information from NCL. I am booked in a suite and two other cabins for my daughters and grandsons on my cruise.

Don

As I stated in a previous post...

I called NCL (Concierge Service) and they told me the waterslide will be unavailable for use on the next two cruises. I am not sure of the dates of the next two GEM cruises.

I was willing to transfer my January 22nd cruise to the Breakaway if the waterslide was not ready by then. They assured me that it will.

That is how I received this information from NCL. I am booked in a suite and two other cabins for my daughters and grandsons on my cruise.

Don

I'm on the jan 2. So the dec 13 and 23 would be the next 2 cruises

I'm just saying that I hope the dec 23 know about this issue because that cruise will be full of kids

Even more amazing to me than the waterslide debacle is that the NCL website still has the Gem listed as having a 4 lane bowling alley. I hope nobody spends too much time looking about the ship for that!

They were taking bookings for the Ncl BA 12 day cruise for weeks after they had officially changed it to a 14 day cruise!!!!

Imagine booking it on the website thinking its a 12 day and then getting your airfare..or vice versa...,and then finding out? Worse yet finding out that Ncl made the change weeks before you booked? Never changed their website? Continued to accept bookings as a 12 day?

For those that think the BA in jan only attracts locals...you are very wrong....it attracts folks worldwide. Aussies. Scots etc so airfare is needed.

The winter BA cruises which were the ones affected have a great itinerary.

The one right after new year is also perfect for seeing NYC at Christmas too

Most of the world gets extended vacay time so a 3 week trip makes sense for them

We are the only nation where everyone is a " brain surgeon"[emoji41] who have jobs that will fall into crisis without us.

Don you are so right!!!

It's not just one thing they do....it's the culmination of what ncl does....over and over and over again

It obvious that FDR is an expert at knee jerk management by the way he implements...then reneges

By the way he baits and switches

By the way he sneaks extra fees in... I.e. Prime rib in the mdr

By the way he publicly refers to the pax...as a captive audience that will pay anything he asks for a Coke

I worked for someone like him once and of course everyone was afraid of him because we never knew what he would do next....but the one thing that stood out about this person was that....he was not very smart....it was obvious to everyone who worked for him

I'm disgusted with this FDR guy and that's really unusual for me because quite frankly I can't ever remember caring who the CEO was of any company I do/did business with.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here we go again:eek:

Why does every single thread end up with this, same people same moan:confused:

Because it's important to stop the bait and switch that Ncl has seemingly perfected these days

And this is going to stop it!

It's been gone over time after time on thread after thread. I'm sick of coming to cruise critic and hearing the same old whinging all the time.

Move on

You mean the nuts that don't recognize the bait and switch or are so timid that they let companies take advantage of them? The ones that don't have an opinion or the ability to post rational thought?

I've read some very rational well thought out comments regarding the way Ncl operates...and lol and behold...on this thread too

Just because you aren't interested or don't want to hear about it doesn't mean posting about it should stop

Since Ncl does read these boards I will opt to keep discussing it

Or we can do what Ncl wants and start arguing how insignificant the slides are...the prime rib is...the RS fee is....how bad the Margaritville food is. etc etc

And just let Ncl continue to perfect the bait and switch

Oh and is the sky falling regarding the slide? Um of course not....but this is a thread about the gem....not the world political mess

Edited by luvtheships

Even more amazing to me than the waterslide debacle is that the NCL website still has the Gem listed as having a 4 lane bowling alley. I hope nobody spends too much time looking about the ship for that!

My Grandsons were looking forward to the Bowling Alley as well.

I did not tell them that it will not be there! :)

If the water slide is working on our cruise, that is the main thing....without it, it would be a major disappointment.

I just hope there is some compensation for those who have kids without the water slide on their cruises.

At least, with $100 OBC, the kids can shop for some things (toy boats, games and clothes)

That would be a nice gesture on NCL's part and shows they care.

I would be surprised if they did not...... otherwise, they would really get some bad press on these boards.

Don

And this is going to stop it!

It's been gone over time after time on thread after thread. I'm sick of coming to cruise critic and hearing the same old whinging all the time.

Move on

Reminds me of the old joke where the patient says "Doc, it hurts when I do this" and the Doc says "well, don't do that anymore then".

Edited by ColinIllinois