Can anyone currently on Gem give me a waterslide update?

plum24

Dumbest thread ever.

Reducing DSC because a slide is not operational. Really.

Expecting OBC for a slide.

I'm sure your little angels will survive no water slide without any long term effects.

I guess you like being baited and switched then

As for the "angels" you obviously dont like kids and that is your loss...but I hope you are ok with the kids using the pools and hot tubs to excess in place of the slides then they can take over the buffet whereas if the slide were open they could spend hours there.

As you seem to hate children you might want to hope that the slides are open so the kids stay away from you

I'm actually surprised the child hating posters havent seen the obvious benefit the slides provide

Edited by luvtheships

As for the "angels" you obviously dont like kids and that is your loss...but I hope you are ok with the kids using the pools and hot tubs to excess in place of the slides then they can take over the buffet whereas if the slide were open they could spend hours there.

As you seem to hate children you might want to hope that the slides are open so the kids stay away from you

I'm actually surprised the child hating posters havent seen the obvious benefit the slides provide

Baited and switched over a water slide. Have you ever gone to an amusement park and had a ride not operating. Things happen, move on and enjoy your trip instead of letting something minor ruin it.

And you're wrong. I have two kids and I would tell them to suck it up and get over it.

Well said!!

When kids are shown photos and videos for an upcoming cruise and a waterslide is something they are so excited about (especially when it is their first cruise), it is disappointing for them not to go on a cruise and not being able to enjoy it.

Don

For those of you who will be traveling with children, I can totally understand that it would be disappointing if the water slide were not open. But the talk about "bait and switch," etc., as though NCL had committed some corporate crime or had plotted to ruin your cruise, is just getting to be over the top.

I think most folks are totally sympathetic to parents wanting to have this amusement for their children, but are losing sympathy in reaction to the overheated rhetoric that is starting to dominate this thread.

For those of you who will be traveling with children, I can totally understand that it would be disappointing if the water slide were not open. But the talk about "bait and switch," etc., as though NCL had committed some corporate crime or had plotted to ruin your cruise, is just getting to be over the top.

I think most folks are totally sympathetic to parents wanting to have this amusement for their children, but are losing sympathy in reaction to the overheated rhetoric that is starting to dominate this thread.

It's not just about the water slide

It's about the lack of communication....the knee jerk changes Ncl throws at it pax....the false advertising as in Margaritville...the no longer complimentary prime rib....

The 18%

The RS charge

The so called "free amenities" after they raised the prices to include the free stuff. Lol case in point my cruise $1800 for 3 with zero amenities ( the way I like it btw) or my same cruise with 2 " free " things for $2600 for 3

The phony ksf deals

Fdr bragging about his "captive audience"

It's not about a plastic slide....it's about their touting a new slide...then forgetting to get it inspected (or maybe not installing it correctly perhaps?)....and then not advising pax that it might be closed.....and finally them not caring about the pax.

But Ncl really doesn't need to worry do they ? Why? Well since so many pax seem contented to just take it from

Ncl....and not complain and actually defend some of the methods they use....Ncl knows they have the "captive" kool aid audience they aim for.

My family and I have decided to not give Ncl our $6000 summer travel budget for 2016. We are happily using it elsewhere oh and....

Trust me up to this point in my life I rarely cared how a company operated.....but now things are different.....I see too many people keeping their heads in the sand these days in all aspects of living and I'm too smart to join them

And before anyone thinks I'm overreacting...nope don't go there....I live a nice daily existence and don't lose sleep over the Ncl shenanigans .....but I can...and will...acknowledge them

Baited and switched over a water slide. Have you ever gone to an amusement park and had a ride not operating. Things happen, move on and enjoy your trip instead of letting something minor ruin it.

And you're wrong. I have two kids and I would tell them to suck it up and get over it.

But at amusement parks there are other activities...coasters...rides...etc

On a ships pool deck if you want water fun...it's slide....or pool or hot tub...

Personally I just wait for the beach when cruising.....but have fun on the dec 23 cruise if the slide isn't open.....

The pax that should be the most concerned about the slides are the ones cruising without kids and those are the ones who should be demanding the slide be operable...but that means thinking clearly and taking the blinders off

Big huge family groups with young kids cruise that week btw....[emoji106][emoji122]

I hope you aren't planning on using the pool or hot tub should the slide be closed. Lol

Edited by luvtheships

I see too many people keeping their heads in the sand these days in all aspects of living and I'm too smart to join them

Two things: 1) I enjoy playing in the sand 2) I won't attempt to insult your intelligence just because we have different opinions.

But sincerely - I hope things work out for you on your cruise. :)

Obviously changes are made in dry-dock all of the time. I don't take issue with upgrades or even the removal of amenities after I've booked a cruise...it's inevitable that some things will change over the course of many months. What I do find less than honest, however, is that NCL's own website touts certain amenities/activities that have been discontinued, or have not commenced yet. They should remove references to anything gone, indicate any items that are now at additional cost listed as included at no charge, and anything that has yet to be operational should be listed as "Coming Soon". Just my 2 cents.

Two things: 1) I enjoy playing in the sand 2) I won't attempt to insult your intelligence just because we have different opinions.

But sincerely - I hope things work out for you on your cruise. :)

The slide will make zero difference to my college kids in January. I'm more concerned about the families on dec 23 and the way Ncl is dragging their feet

Has anyone given any thought to the fact that the Ncl insurer may be the one causing problems

Liability premiums may have skyrocketed because of the new slide and keeping it closed is a cost cutting measure

I dont really believe that Ncl is as stupid as they look sometimes....or better said....how some of the posters here portray Ncl....but let's not blame the posters here as not everyone truly understands what makes a business run at a profit

I otoh believe Ncl is a shrewd profit making machine and knows exactly what they are doing....

But as an informed savvy traveler with a business acumen ....I see exactly what is happening here

And I'm not afraid to acknowledge what is happening and why it's happening.....

Keeping the slide closed for as long as possible is unfortunate for the pax but brilliant for Ncl. Doesn't mean I like it....just means I recognize what's going on

I wish an NCL representative would be able to disclose why the water slide is closed and eliminate all the speculation.

When you call them....no one knows, they just say it is closed for the next two cruises.

There is no answer to the question "Why?"

At least level with your upcoming and loyal passengers.....that would be the correct thing to do.

I love NCL and it is my favorite cruise line, but loyalty runs both ways. :)

Don

They probably don't know.

I would doubt it is an inspection issue. All it probably takes is a Professional Engineer(P.E.) to do an inspection if it is for insurance purposes. My best educated guess is that there was some sort of assembly issue or manufacturing problem that was not caught until assembly and they need a part. And seeing as these slides are not off the shelf items a part needs to be manufactured, then you are at the mercy of the manufacturers schedule, then the ships schedule of only being in home port every 7-10 days.

Also, since the Gem's registry is the Bahamas, NCL may be waiting for them on Island time.

Edited by jtheile

Obviously changes are made in dry-dock all of the time. I don't take issue with upgrades or even the removal of amenities after I've booked a cruise...it's inevitable that some things will change over the course of many months. What I do find less than honest, however, is that NCL's own website touts certain amenities/activities that have been discontinued, or have not commenced yet. They should remove references to anything gone, indicate any items that are now at additional cost listed as included at no charge, and anything that has yet to be operational should be listed as "Coming Soon". Just my 2 cents.

Well said I agree with you 100%. Maybe they need to hire someone who updates their web-site :)