Can anyone currently on Gem give me a waterslide update?

plum24

Any news on when waterslide will be operational?

The 10-yr old in my house needs to know! :)

Hi fellow Montrealais,

As of yesterday the "official" reports were : closed for the next sailing for sure, probably the one after and maybe the other one also....

A question of not being officially inspected yet.... not sure I believe that myself :o ...but that is the story for now...

Look at page 27 and 28 of this thread : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2125392&page=27

Have fun !

Edited by sebas030

Ok I'm not much of a complainer to Ncl although I do voice my very logical and pragmatic opinions here on cc

So....if the slide isn't open by the dec 19 cruises and forward....may I suggest that each and every pax vehemently complain regardless of wether you will use the slides or not?

A new slide on a refurbished ship is an outstanding amenity....and one of the major reasons I booked my jan 2 cruise on the gem

Now if Ncl can't figure out that the slide needs to be operable by dec 19....when there will be tons of kids onboard....I have absolutely no respect for those running Ncl

If they don't get it running by dec 19...then the entire company is run by and employs nothing but fools and idiots.

I agree with you 100%.

There is absolutely no way that slide should not bb open after the renovations.

There will be so many children on the Xmas cruise. If they do not have it operating by then, they should do something special for those with children on all cruises without the slide....for example, $200 OBC for each kid to buy toys and clothes in the shops on those cruises in which the slide is not available.

The NCL Santa Clause better be prepared! :)

My two grandsons are with me on the January 22nd cruise and they were so excited about the slide after showing them photos. That is the main attraction for them on the cruise!

I will be one loud complainer on my cruise if there is no slide by then.

Don

I'm going to call Monday & ask what compensation they will offer us. Ridiculous that our sailing (dec 13), many weeks after dry dock, STILL has closed slide.

Yes we should all complain. Loudly & often!

Ok I'm not much of a complainer to Ncl although I do voice my very logical and pragmatic opinions here on cc

So....if the slide isn't open by the dec 19 cruises and forward....may I suggest that each and every pax vehemently complain regardless of wether you will use the slides or not?

A new slide on a refurbished ship is an outstanding amenity....and one of the major reasons I booked my jan 2 cruise on the gem

Now if Ncl can't figure out that the slide needs to be operable by dec 19....when there will be tons of kids onboard....I have absolutely no respect for those running Ncl

If they don't get it running by dec 19...then the entire company is run by and employs nothing but fools and idiots.

I agree with you 100%! My Gem cruise is the 12th of January, but if that slide is not operational by the Christmas cruise there needs to be serious complaining, no excuses NCL, get it done!!

The worst part of it all... if it's not open, that big giant thing will be taunting you every time you walk by.

Curious if this new double slide concept has been used anywhere else? I wonder if that's part of the hang up.

Was the old one the terrible design used on other ships? On one ship we referred to it as the "sit"... cuz that's about the extent of the excitement it offered.

I hope you all luck out!!

Was the old one the terrible design used on other ships? On one ship we referred to it as the "sit"... cuz that's about the extent of the excitement it offered.

I hope you all luck out!!

Yes, and really just designed for kids. Remember that the Gem was built about ten years ago, when waterslides were not considered to be attractions for teens or adults.

From the photos I've seen of the slide post-dry dock, it's hard to imagine it will be much different (except that it's doubled up), since it really doesn't seem to have much of a drop.

We'll be aboard in February, so presumably I'll get to see for myself.

I hope it's in operation for those of you sailing with kids over the holidays.

Edited by Turtles06

I posted on the gem renovation thread but it belongs here too...

Just some thoughts...

1. They are having difficulty getting it inspected on a 6 hour turnaround on a weekend day

2. They are holding off opening it because they can save on insurance premiums and will wait as long as possible

3. Someone really dropped the ball on this issue

4. Another bait and switch by ncl....hey pax we renovated the slide and its new and improved so book the gem!!!

All the above are plausible but what it really shows is how someone like me, who is a loyal ncl cruiser, is starting to see right through their games

I've already priced other lines for our next cruise and glad I am because I totally forgot that so many other lines we have cruised previously have the big screen movies on deck!!! Excellent prices too!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My Favorite Cruise Line will be my least favorite if that slide is not ready for my grandsons by my January 22nd cruise.

My daughter wanted to do RCI out of New Jersey, but I sold her on the new GEM renovations and the slide that the kids enjoy so much.

My pride and integrity are at stake!

This could mark the end of NCL for me if not corrected (and I am a Platinum NCL fan).

Cannot deal with incompetence and that is exactly what this is!!

Don

Edited by dongordon

Don you are so right!!!

It's not just one thing they do....it's the culmination of what ncl does....over and over and over again

It obvious that FDR is an expert at knee jerk management by the way he implements...then reneges

By the way he baits and switches

By the way he sneaks extra fees in... I.e. Prime rib in the mdr

By the way he publicly refers to the pax...as a captive audience that will pay anything he asks for a Coke

I worked for someone like him once and of course everyone was afraid of him because we never knew what he would do next....but the one thing that stood out about this person was that....he was not very smart....it was obvious to everyone who worked for him

I'm disgusted with this FDR guy and that's really unusual for me because quite frankly I can't ever remember caring who the CEO was of any company I do/did business with.

Yes, and really just designed for kids. Remember that the Gem was built about ten years ago, when waterslides were not considered to be attractions for teens or adults...

I'm in my 40's and there hasn't been a time in my life when water slides have not been appealing to me.

The fact that this slide isn't ready is a huge mistake by NCL. They already got rid of one family activity when they removed the bowling alley, this will be 2.

If all the loyal NCL fans start jumping ship to the other cruise lines, heads will roll and/or things will get fixed.

I was getting set to book on NCL for 2017, but now I am rethinking.

Anthem of the Seas might be my new option for 2017!!

My friends were on it and they said it was great.

Don

I just spoke to NCL (Concierge Service) and they told me that the water slide will not be open for the next two sailings but will definetley be available for my cruise on January 22nd.

If not, I had asked to transfer to the Breakaway and that is when they put me on hold and told me this information.

I think the next two sailings will include the Christmas cruise (but not sure) and that is terrible news for all the kids onboard!

Totally unacceptable for NCL to not have it ready by then!!

They must provide OBC compensation for cruises without the water slide!!

Don

Edited by dongordon

If all the loyal NCL fans start jumping ship to the other cruise lines, heads will roll and/or things will get fixed.

I was getting set to book on NCL for 2017, but now I am rethinking.

Anthem of the Seas might be my new option for 2017!!

My friends were on it and they said it was great.

Don

I recently sailed on Anthem, I've sailed on the Gem twice (plus two other Jewel class ships, among our other cruises). Anthem and Gem are apples and oranges... two totally different classes of ships and types of ships. Anthem is a mega-ship, almost an amusement park at sea; the Gem is half the size (in terms of passengers), more of a ship, more "connected" to the water.

We loved Anthem, she's a stunningly beautiful ship with extraordinary public spaces (Two70 has to be seen to be believed) and incredible thing to do (North Star, Flowrider, simulated sky diving, bumper cars, roller skating). Shows that need to be reserved, dinners that need to be worked around them (those are negatives to me). The Gem is like a comfortable old shoe; plus, you can do what you want when you want. We are happy to be sailing on her again this winter, and you just can't compare her to Anthem. Not saying we wouldn't sail on Anthem again, just that they are two totally different types of ships.

Choosing between these two, you really need to think through what you want out of a ship and a cruise.

No matter what, though, a water slide would never be the difference maker for me. :)

Any info on the January 2 cruise?

I've never done this before but if the slide isn't open I am reducing my dsc

You know the dsc that go to all those behind the scenes crew

I'll do it on principal as the crew was unable thanks to ncl to provide me with the service that my dsc goes toward

I'm not at all worried about the crew earning less because ncl pays them their salary wether I reduce dsc Or not

My steward will still get his extra $20 from me

I'll do t to make a point with ncl though

As far as obc is concerned....$75 minimum for the 3 of us

I'm also thinking that they will need to get it inspected on a weekday workday for the inspector who i assume will be based in NYC

So if ncl has any competent people running the show they should have it scheduled!!!!!!

Edited by Crusin6

I've never done this before but if the slide isn't open I am reducing my dsc

You know the dsc that go to all those behind the scenes crew

I'll do it on principal as the crew was unable thanks to ncl to provide me with the service that my dsc goes toward

I hope they give you lousy service in return. You know, on principle.

Edited by TheDougOut