Short cruise- how do you pack?

cruiseonthebrain

We have a quick 4 night cruise coming up. Normally I just pack as many bags as I need. I think I want to try minimalizing on this trip snd pack as little as possible. For a short cruise, do you:

A. Pack a few outfits and use the onboard self laundry;

B. Pack a few things and pay for Carnival to wash and fold;

C. Pack a few things, don't wash anything and hope you don't stink too bad;

D. Pack any and everything you may need.

We have a quick 4 night cruise coming up. Normally I just pack as many bags as I need. I think I want to try minimalizing on this trip snd pack as little as possible. For a short cruise, do you:

I guess D would be the proper choice but quite frankly I can pack 8 outfits in any suitcase so there's no need to wear anything twice since it won't save on the luggage to do so.

Wear your "heavy" clothes while boarding...walking shoes, lt. weight jacket, long pants. Then everything else will fit in a small duffle bag. I can do a 7 day in a carry-on suitcase and I'm a "plus" size. Sample sizes of lotions, colognes (visit a major dept store before you leave) cosmetics. Leave the clunky jewelry at home, use the ship's hair dryer, bring one pair of walking sandals, beach flip flops, and one pair of light weight shoes or sandals for evening. Bring a kindle loaded with books. Keep your evening wear light...knit dress and light weight tops. Roll everything when you pack it. Don't bother with "dressy" clothes. Also, a small bottle of woolite and hand wash what gets stinky.

Remember...no one bothers to look at you and no one will care if you wear the same thing twice.

Wear your "heavy" clothes while boarding...walking shoes, lt. weight jacket, long pants. Then everything else will fit in a small duffle bag. I can do a 7 day in a carry-on suitcase and I'm a "plus" size. Sample sizes of lotions, colognes (visit a major dept store before you leave) cosmetics. Leave the clunky jewelry at home, use the ship's hair dryer, bring one pair of walking sandals, beach flip flops, and one pair of light weight shoes or sandals for evening. Bring a kindle loaded with books. Keep your evening wear light...knit dress and light weight tops. Roll everything when you pack it. Don't bother with "dressy" clothes. Also, a small bottle of woolite and hand wash what gets stinky.

Remember...no one bothers to look at you and no one will care if you wear the same thing twice.

Thank you Sweet Dutch Girl! I will absolutely use this info. I am a plus size and I always wonder if "small" packing is even possible for me. I have a cruise in August too that I am definately using your recommendations for!

I don't do laundry on board but i always bring a travel size bottle of febreeze or downy wrinkle released to spritz something I know I'll wear again. I'll only re wear if I've only worn for a short time.

I do the same, though I do overpack still lol typically its things I just pack just in case and then just rewear what i wore for a short time. The only exception is socks and undergarments I make sure to pack enough

Woman will over pack even if going for 1 night.

I never overpack. Last cruise on our way home our flight was cancelled in our connecting city and we had to stay overnight. For our flight home the next day I had only 1 clean pair of underwear, and I had to wear dirty jeans and a T shirt we purchased in the gift shop. Not all women overpack. I wish I had that trip.

I also had no toiletries. I take all travel size and toss them, including my toothbrush. The front desk at the hotel thankfully had one, aside from that all I had was deodorant and what was provided in the room.

Edited by Jenhem31

I would say black pants for evening with different top each night

1 pair of jeans with different tops for day

1 pair of shorts that would go with the same above tops

2 sets of underclothes that can be washed out by hand and hung to dry

2 bathing suits.

Day pair and night pair of shoes

I always choose one color plus black on my trips that why everything can be mixed for variety.

What I wear onto the ship I also wear off the ship. How many clothes does anyone need for three days? Liberal use of showers should eliminate any odor problem. If you are in your swimsuit a good part of the day most pieces of clothing can be worn again. Have a good time and SIMPLIFY.

I would seriously like to know how you manage this. My father's wife is 77 and very plus size. She has never learned how to pack a suitcase and I have the rep for good packing. I always have to go to his house and pack for her and it is a challenge. I also roll everything. Last cruise they took was a 21 day BTB. That was a nightmare. She had 10 pair of size 11 sandals laid out for me to pack. I insisted she only take 2 as 6 pair were the same color! And I know I don't stay in my evening wear longer than dinner, so suggested 2 pair black nice pants and 1 black long skirt to mix and match with sparkly tops. She has a lot of long sundresses and caftans. I really have a hard time folding or rolling these. What is your secret? They have another cruise coming up soon. Thanks for any advise.:)

This is our case as well. When it comes to packing I am a minimalist and my dh needs to bring the kitchen sink. lol

Nice to see I am not the only one. My only problem with it is, I spoiled him from the beginning and have always ironed all his clothes. Getting a bit tired of it. I mostly wear knits and jersey type things that don't have to be ironed.:(:)

I would say black pants for evening with different top each night

1 pair of jeans with different tops for day

1 pair of shorts that would go with the same above tops

2 sets of underclothes that can be washed out by hand and hung to dry

2 bathing suits.

Day pair and night pair of shoes

I always choose one color plus black on my trips that why everything can be mixed for variety.

Thank you so much! I have never broken it down this way. Frankly you may have inspired me to overhaul my entire home wardrobe:-)

I'd have to pick Option D...our whole family is like stain magnets...we end up with more stains...we don't eat sloppy..stains find us...really it's an issue :D So we pack double what we need cuz momma don't wanna stop the fun to do laundry...

Whatever I can fit in a backpack is usually all I need on a 4 night cruise. No need to repeat clothes or do laundry. Just keep it simple.

Edited by Tapi

She has a lot of long sundresses and caftans. I really have a hard time folding or rolling these. What is your secret? They have another cruise coming up soon. Thanks for any advise.:)

Shake out the dress, spread it out on the bed. Fold in half longways and smooth; fold again longways and smooth. Fold in the rest of the sleeve and the skirt corners, if necessary, to make it roughly a long rectangle. Start at one end and roll tightly!

We're going to be taking our first cruise in a few weeks. My mother is 80 and I'm no spring chicken by now either, so we're aiming to avoid any difficulties or discomfort. I'm packing to meet any contingency with help from threads on this forum. We'll probably have 5 or 6 pieces of luggage--though the suitcases aren't large and they have wheels. This will include my mother's crochet bag and a first aid kit with all possible OTC remedies ;)

Also we've hit the thrift stores and found some delightful like-new outfits very suitable for cruises, and we're going to show off!

Shake out the dress, spread it out on the bed. Fold in half longways and smooth; fold again longways and smooth. Fold in the rest of the sleeve and the skirt corners, if necessary, to make it roughly a long rectangle. Start at one end and roll tightly!

:D Thanks! That really works! I tried it on a long "one size" cover up I have. I think what I was doing wrong, is I usually button everything up (that has buttons) and fold like dry cleaners do shirts, and then roll. This works well for our stuff, but, not for her dresses. They all are soft, lightweight fabrics with no "substance" if that makes any sense. Seem to slip, slide away. Great tip!

As to your next post: I love thrift shops! We have one here that lower the price each week that something is not sold. Have picked up amazing deals, even 50 cent dresses! I also try to make their embarking more comfortable for them. He is in a wheelchair, (just till he gets in their room, as can't walk far) so, after I drop them off, it is all on her. Have finally gotten her to only take a roll on, to board, and put the extras she usually carries separate, in it. Much more hands free. Side pocket for boarding pass, passports, etc.. and pack her HUGE handbag, to not have to carry. Took several cruises to get her to stop hauling it all over the ship. Got her a lanyard, it holds everything she needs on the ship. :)

Another issue is toiletries and meds. Don't need 8oz of shampoo when 2oz will do. Figure out how many uses a size has. For us, a travel size of toothpaste is 14 uses. One side of a contact lens case holds 10 days worth of hair gel.