NCL SUN December 5, 2015 Diar

Hilarion

• 5 weeks later...
As a former FSO let me clarify why there is a reciprocity fee. It was enacted by Argentina in retaliation for being removed from the visa waiver program with the collapse of their e onomy with the leftist government. The US issues the visa for FREE, but it does charge an application fee (which proceeds the US uses to defray costs of running the visa sections abroad). This like the passport fee charged to Americans, the proceeds of which are used to help fund passport offices. Many countries who do not benefit from the visa waiver do not charge Americans and others a reciprocity fee because they realize the benefits of encouraging travel. This is also why Brazil charges a reciprocity fee.

Hilarion, it is called reciprocity because the US charges us Argentinians for the visa. We don't care how you account for it, but to visit the US we have to pay 140 USD. It is fair, therefore, that we and the Brazilians charge you the same amount, with a small provisio, it is much easier to pay the reciprocity fee than to get a visa to the US, you can do it all through Internet without needing to go to the Consulate.

Regards

Javier

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Day 12 - Puerto Chacabuco is small, very small. Not many taxis available for last minute hire. If this is your preference, make arrangements ahead of time. I had pre arranged for a car and driver for three of us for only US$100 from 8:30 am - 1:30 pm. That was a perfect amount of time. Most roads in the area are unpaved. Our driver Victor used a very clean and comfortable Hundai for us. He first took us to the town of Aysen (as there is NOTHING in Port Chacabuco) for a brief tour of the Plaza de Armas, a stop at a working bank's ATM and then to a well-stocked local market to buy some local jams, cookies, honey, and sundries.

We then visited the longest suspension bridge in Chile in Aysen, the silted up Aysen Channel (because Port Aysen used to be the main port until it became unnavigable). We loved the many rose bushes in bloom throwing the small town. We left paved roads to visit a beautiful bay which is the main public beach for Aysen locals, a lovely river, and an impressive powerful waterfall. We stopped,along the way to photograph animals and lovely landscapes. On the way back to the ship, we had time to stop briefly at a small group of stores where local artisans sell everything from handmade wool booties, to wallets and eyeglass cases made from the local salmon skins, and so much more; prices were excellent.

The cost was US$100 and I invited two passengers to come along to share the cost and still be comfortable. If you want to contact this taxi driver and arrange to be picked up and taken around for the little time we are at port contact: (tell him Hilarion Martinez fromNCL SUN have you his name, email and number) and make your own arrangements.

Hi can you please post Victor's contact details. We are doing this cruise next January. Your description sounds very good.

Thanks Jennifer

• 8 months later...
It's probably too late for you now, but you can usually get a copy of the TV/movie schedule at Guest Services.

Hi Clay, it's May here. My husband Tim and I met you on a Panama Canal cruise. In fact you kindly offered us and Joan and Eric your suite for the transit along with a few other passengers. We are on the Sun again in April of 2017 on a couple of back to backs in S America. Liked your tip on the movie channels.

TOM says hi too.

Happy Sailing

:):):)

Hi Clay, it's May here. My husband Tom and I met you on a Panama Canal cruise. In fact you kindly offered us and Joan and Eric your suite for the transit along with a few other passengers. We are on the Sun again in April of 2017 on a couple of back to backs in S America. Liked your tip on the movie channels.

TOM says hi too.

Happy Sailing

:):):)

May-you and Tim are in for a great cruise. Drop me an email at BigNCBear@aol.com please

Edited by Clay Clayton