NCL Breakaway Restaurant Reviews

JohnandKatr

looking for reviews / opinions/ must have dishes on Norwegian Breakaway. I've searched the forums, but cannot find anything, except random mentions in general cruise reviews on dining. Going on Dec 27th with 14, 12 and 10 year old boys. Thanks in Advance!!

Edited by JohnandKatr

NCL menus are fleet-wide (except for the new menus that are currently only on Escape and roll out to the rest of the ships next year) so for reviews, recommendations and must-have dishes mentions from any ship will do.

For MDR menus there are at least 14, probably 21 different menus rotating so there is no way of telling which menus will be used on your cruise and on which nights.

Edited by Demonyte

Specialty restaurants, Cagney food ok but long sitting time. Teppanayki, Chef was 30 minutes late, sat there and . Moderno, some of the food never showed up, kept bringing sausage, chicken and beef ribs. Filet showed up one time even tho I asked. Garlic beef always available, Cod and pork ribs never showed and yes, we did ask. We were there over two hours and no refreshments at all after the first hour. Desserts, we were tired of waiting and left. Over all taste was good but you get tired of waiting for something to eat. After the first round of potatoes, etc, never a refill. Thanksgiving nite and after, we ate in the buffet and liked it better, except for flavorless desserts.O' Sheenans WAS A PLUS.

I was on the Breakaway just under 2 years ago - going again on Sunday - I'm planning on doing a detailed review when I return, but until then (excited to try Ocean Blue this time)...

Cagney's - I thought the filet was great, sides were all good etc too - our favorite of the ones we tried.

Le Bistro - Had the filet here too, it was great - planning on trying different items this time.

Teppanyaki - We have a great hibachi place at home, so I wasn't expecting this to be as good - it really was, I was impressed with the food quality of the entrée. However, the soup didn't really have any flavor, dessert was boring - I didn't care for the green tea dessert (and I normally like green tea flavored ice cream, etc) other option was sliced fruit. But that was such a small portion of the meal, I would definitely go back and recommend.

Moderno - Salad bar was AMAZING. All the meats we tried were GROSS. I heard so many good things about this restaurant I was really surprised by it. I'm hoping it was just an off night, maybe because we had a late reservation? We're going to try it again this time with a 6 pm reservation.

La Cucina - Really sub-par Italian food - and I'm not comparing it to Grandma or really great Italian restaurants - I'm saying this was really inferior to somewhere like the Olive Garden. I'm surprised by all the positive reviews. The bread/olive oil was good, otherwise the food was barely edible, we ended up going to the buffet later. We *might* try again this trip to give it a second change, probably will try the pizza.

Edited by wanderlust81

We were on the Breakaway for the last 2 February breaks. We had the UDP for both trips. After 2 trips here is where we stand:

Cagney's is the best of the specialty restaurants.

Teppanyaki is a close second.

Ocean Blue is not even close to the value of the surcharge. My wife had sandy scallops and my steak was not better than Cagney's.

La Cucina is basically an Olive Garden, maybe a step up.

Moderno had flavorless dried out food, except for one of the sirloins and lamb chops.

Except for Ocean Blue, we went to the above restaurants on both trips. Hoping that Moderno would be better the second time, for us it wasn't.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information above on specialty restaurants on Breakaway. No one mentioned LeBistro which I want to try but not sure if our grandchildren will like it. Any comments? We always said Celebrity and enjoy their specialty restaurants so we are anxious to try at least 3.

Disclaimer: I was on the Getaway; it's my understanding that the restaurants and menus are the same.

I loved the lobster in Le Bistro and I'm not usually a lobster fan. My 16 year old daughter loved the pork tenderloin and she's not a big meat eater.

In Cagney's my GF loved the ribeye steak and I loved the filet. Cagney's was our favorite and we went twice. The side dishes at Cagney's were excellent as well, I remember the Caesar salad being uncommonly good.

I liked Moderno and the majority of our group (21 people) raved about the Picanha.

I don't remember anything exceptional about the Teppanyaki or La Cucina; they were both good and I plan to dine there while I'm on the Breakaway next year. As for specific items at those two restaurants, I don't have any recommendations :(

NCL menus are fleet-wide (except for the new menus that are currently only on Escape and roll out to the rest of the ships next year) so for reviews, recommendations and must-have dishes mentions from any ship will do.

For MDR menus there are at least 14, probably 21 different menus rotating so there is no way of telling which menus will be used on your cruise and on which nights.

They did not give MDR menus ahead of time, and even though they looked good on beyondship2's website, those listed on that site did not show up on our 12 day crooze. Plus, we tried to make Burn the Floor at the MDR (not announced until the night before, and they had one reschedule), but those days seems to be the lackluster menu days. Even though we had the SDP and its 5 specialty restaurant days, after all the juggling of which restaurant to go, we had one more, and on the last day, decided to go to Ocean Blue, but then we looked at the MDR's menu for that day and it was Chateaubriand. We were not too happy because we had to go go through some tough sirloin steaks (even their arged one) in the MDR.

As for the specialty restaurants.

Did Cagney 3x, meat were steakhouse quality. best was bone-in ribeye, but the regular ribeye and ny strip were still very good. They were not heavily salted like Peter Luger steaks, instead, relying on the optional sauces to give it flavor.

Ocean blue was good, but not really worth the upcharge. Its usually a-la carte, but the itemized a-la-carte price came out to be the same as our $15 upcharge and $30 value of the SDP.

Didn't try Teppanyaki because it seems to be Benihana with skimpy appertizers.

Also, didnt try Moderno, given if they were like the brazilian steakhouses around, the filet would come once and then the cheap tough meats would come over and over again, and there were alot of cheap meats offered in Moderno, even cheaper than tough beef, like chicken and sausages.

Thanks for the information above on specialty restaurants on Breakaway. No one mentioned LeBistro which I want to try but not sure if our grandchildren will like it. Any comments? We always said Celebrity and enjoy their specialty restaurants so we are anxious to try at least 3.

They should be fine unless they're super-fussy eaters. At the end of the day it's still chicken, beef or seafood (well, besides the escargots....) just done up differently. If they like roasted chicken, the coq au vin will suit them nicely.

And Le Bistro has the best desserts on the ship. Sure, the Chocolate Napoleon probably has 8000 calories, but damn it was the richest dessert I've ever had.

They did not give MDR menus ahead of time, and even though they looked good on beyondship2's website, those listed on that site did not show up on our 12 day crooze. Plus, we tried to make Burn the Floor at the MDR (not announced until the night before, and they had one reschedule), but those days seems to be the lackluster menu days. Even though we had the SDP and its 5 specialty restaurant days, after all the juggling of which restaurant to go, we had one more, and on the last day, decided to go to Ocean Blue, but then we looked at the MDR's menu for that day and it was Chateaubriand. We were not too happy because we had to go go through some tough sirloin steaks (even their arged one) in the MDR.

As for the specialty restaurants.

Did Cagney 3x, meat were steakhouse quality. best was bone-in ribeye, but the regular ribeye and ny strip were still very good. They were not heavily salted like Peter Luger steaks, instead, relying on the optional sauces to give it flavor.

Ocean blue was good, but not really worth the upcharge. Its usually a-la carte, but the itemized a-la-carte price came out to be the same as our $15 upcharge and $30 value of the SDP.

Didn't try Teppanyaki because it seems to be Benihana with skimpy appertizers.

Also, didnt try Moderno, given if they were like the brazilian steakhouses around, the filet would come once and then the cheap tough meats would come over and over again, and there were alot of cheap meats offered in Moderno, even cheaper than tough beef, like chicken and sausages.

Teppanyaki is like Benihana and is very good. In Moderno of you want any specific meat then just ask. They will bring you whatever you want and as much as you want. I always make it a point to tell them that I want to start with the Picanha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on BA in August with the UDP.

Le Bistro - great food (rack of lamb was awesome; sister had salmon), OK service

Cagney's - terrible service, just ok food, server was completely checked out, had to ask other servers to flag down our server, when we finally got our steak, we actually had to ask about the sides (nothing was brought to us)

La Cucina - great service, food was hit and miss -- osso buco was great, sister's chicken parm was terrible

Ocean Blue - this was comped to us because of an issue with our cabin. Best meal we had on board - fantastic service and all the food was exquisite

Wasabi - lunch one day - great sushi

Moderno - best salad bar ever! - meats were totally hit and miss (mostly miss)

Shanghai - good late dinner one evening - weird setup and service was just ok

We never ate at Teppanyaki - couldn't get a reservation

We actually never ate in any of the dining rooms except had lunch in the Manhattan on Saturday that was part of the Wine Musical. It was OK.

We did the buffet for breakfast and lunch. Thought the buffet was actually pretty good - great for breakfast IMHO.

Cagney's - The most overrated restaurant in NCL. Most of the steaks are subpar. If you have to choose, go with the fillet. Portions are small. I can't believe they're now charging ala carte for things like a shrimp cocktail that contains 3 whole shrimp.

Le Bistro - Excellent place to go. Lots of variety. The steak here is better than the ones offered at Cagney's.

Teppanyaki - I wanted to avoid this place because every hibachi I've been to does the same act, but I'm glad I went. The main courses are great and the entertainment is better and different than your typical hibachi place. Here's a tip: you can get any combination of items you like for your entree. You're not limited to the combos on the menu. Also, if you don't like green tea ice cream, they can substitute for vanilla even though it's not advertised on the menu.

Moderno - The most underrated restaurant in NCL. Not only are the meats excellent, but the salad bar is top notch. TIP: Don't load up on any one meat selection. See what you like. If they repeat a meat before you tried everything or if you want more of something: ASK! Don't be silent and take what they give you out of some misplaced sense of politeness.

Ocean Blue - Excellent food (for the most part), but not worth the money.