Service/ Therapy Animals

cruiseonthebrain

My husband and I both have service animals. From the research I have done, our dogs will not be welcomed or understood by other passengers.

I am actually asking this more for the wellbeing of our animals than the wellbeing of dog haters.

If we bring our smaller service dog onboard and I stay in the room with her- meaning she never goes to any eating facility onboard or entertainment venue- will I still get crap for having to travel with her?

Well they are service trained. They do not ever have accidents. They do not bark unless my husband is going to seize. They do not cuddle anyone but me- frankly I don't even know if they register a stranger's presence. I would tolerate you approaching my dogs if you were friendly but they would not approach you.

Why would you assume a disabled members' service animals were all ready to per and piss all over and wanting to jump up on laps? Yours is the exact attitude I fear.

I've been on a couple of cruises where other passengers had service / therapy animals. I barely ever saw them, if I hadn't seen them when we originally boarded the ship I might not have even known they were on board.

I think you'll be fine :).

I've been on cruises with service animals. There was actually a large group of visually impaired passengers traveling with their service dogs. And I see several service animals aboard flights at work. No issues whatsoever, and you shouldn't feel worried about getting a few evil stares from passengers who don't understand their reason for being there.

Well trained service animals are almost invisible in my experience. I wouldn't worry about what a handful of people may think. It's your right to bring them along.

Edited by Tapi

I've been on cruises with service animals. There was actually a large group of visually impaired passengers traveling with their service dogs. And I see several service animals aboard flights at work. No issues whatsoever, and you shouldn't feel worried about getting a few evil stares from passengers who don't understand their reason for being there.

Well trained service animals are almost invisible in my experience. I wouldn't worry about what a handful of people may think. It's your right to bring them along.

The operative words in "Tapi's" post are "well trained". If you have a trained service animal no one should say a thing. If not, ... .

Edited by Plant

True service animals should never be hidden in stateroom, ridiculed by ignorant passengers or "cuddled" by anyone (including those they care for).

Anyone who appropriately requires a true service animal wouldn't pose questions or make statements such as the ones presented here.

True service animals should never be hidden in stateroom, ridiculed by ignorant passengers or "cuddled" by anyone (including those they care for).

Anyone who appropriately requires a true service animal wouldn't pose questions or make statements such as the ones presented here.

Agreed! I have never noticed a single service animal on any of my cruises. That's the point, as you would not notice a professional dog at all.

My husband and I both have service animals. From the research I have done, our dogs will not be welcomed or understood by other passengers.

I am actually asking this more for the wellbeing of our animals than the wellbeing of dog haters.

If we bring our smaller service dog onboard and I stay in the room with her- meaning she never goes to any eating facility onboard or entertainment venue- will I still get crap for having to travel with her?

I would not worry about it. There will always be some ignorant people no matter what the issue is, service dogs or something else. It is apparent yours are well trained. Enjoy your cruise and don't worry about other people and their thoughts. You'll never see them again! Frankly, I'm more bothered by loud people/neighbors, rude people, unruly kids, etc. :)

• Like 1

There was a visually impaired lady on one of our cruises. You would never know she had a service dog (Lab) in the MDR unless you looked under the table. On the deck, he laid under her lounger. People asked if they could pet him. She indicated it was ok as long as she was just laying/sitting on the lounger. If she got up and the dog was then "working", people were not supposed to approach him.

Carnival is allowed to ask what service the animal provides. Emotional support dogs are not allowed. A dog that detect seizures that are coming would be considered a service dog and I certainly would not feel you needed to stay in your cabin all the time. Do check the rules/laws of the ports you will be visiting if you are planning on getting off of the ship. I am prettying sure the animal can not be left on the ship if you get off at port.

You did not say what your service animal is for. If t is an emotional support dog, thiose are not allowed.

Unfortunately, since people can buy papers on the Internet, some people have become skeptical when people say they have a service dog. A true dog that has trained to be a service dog, blends in so well often you do not know he/she is there. You should not have to limit your cruise experience because a true service dog is traveling with you. Have fun.

Edited by kteachcruiser52

OP said if she stays in the room and she does not take the dog to the

restaurants would that be OK. I say if you plan to stay in the cabin then

why are you going on the cruise in the first place. A person that truly

has a service dog would not ask such questions. Under ADA rules you

would just show carnival all your proof and enjoy your cruise. Some

people say they have a need for a service dog and all they want is

to take their dog on the cruise. I am not saying that is you but the

original question is suspect. HAPPY SAILING!!!

My husband and I both have service animals. If we bring our smaller service dog onboard and I stay in the room with her- meaning she never goes to any eating facility on board or entertainment venue- will I still get crap for having to travel with her?

Why just bring one of the two dogs when you each need your own dog? If you take your dog and your husband has a seizure is your dog crossed trained to alert on the seizure? If you take your husband's dog will it alert him to your emergency? Unless the answer is yes to both you'll each need your own dog and you'll want to take them everywhere you are to properly service your specific need(s) for which it is trained.

Bon Voyage!

Exactly.

You would never even notice a well trained service dog. My neighbors train black labs (just like Tapi's :)) for the hearing impaired. Amazing. They are just good old dogs until they put that "I am working" vest on and then it's all business.

As long as your dogs are legitimate registered fully trained service dogs, and you register them with Carnival before boarding, who cares what other people like or think. if you really need the animals, don't worry about what others think. And certainly don't stay in your cabin.

Trained Service Dogs are fine in my opinion for blind, seizures and the like. I think that therapy service dogs are mostly bull crap as doctors readily fill out the paperwork saying you need this for emotional support too easily and they are not trained dogs and there are way too many people abusing the term and getting the doctor to write a note. They use that excuse to get dogs into apartments that don't allow dogs along with other things. I am not saying that there are not some ppl who need them, what I am saying is that there are too many that do not and that creates and issue. That's my opinion and I am sure some people will disagree. If you think I am wrong do a search for "Fake Service Dogs a Growing Problem" and read any of the articles about the problem.

I'm confused :confused:

You both have service dogs, but you're only bringing 1 and will sit in the room with it.

How does this help, what is the point?

I'm not trying to get in your personal business but isn't a service animal pretty much worthless if they are not always with the person they are to serve?

I suggest you visit the best and probably longest-lived thread on Cruise Critic and repost your question there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=585728&page=798

many of the posters own and travel with their Service Dogs and even some of us lurkers have learned quite a lot...almost 800 pages and close to 16000 responses.

Edited by alexspepa

The reason people get prissy about "service dogs" is that the ones they have seen on board are in fact not service dogs and are in fact pets or former service animals whose training has been obliterated. So when the only "service dogs" they see are yapping, whimpering, dressed in cute outfits, being baby talked to, being fed at the table, it is no wonder they doubt the veracity of service animals.

I noticed the title of your thread is service/therapy dogs, is one of your dogs a therapy dog?

Lots of people also say that if you have a small dog, it can't be a service dog because of its size. What most people think of when you say service dog is golden retrievers and black labs, not little ones. I get that with my miniature poodle. They think that she is just a pet, even with her vest on. She is in fact a seizure alert dog, and is a fine size for what she is trained to do.

If they're truly "Service Animals" passengers should have no issues with the dog going into public spaces on the ship and you needn't have to stay in your cabin.

The problem is that "Therapy Dogs" as well as "Emotional Support Dogs" are not considered a "Service Animal" with regards to the Americans with Disability Act ( ADA). Ships embarking from a USA port technically only have to allow Service Animals on board the ship. However since people are so quick to sue sighting an ADA violation many cruise lines turn a blind eye on the issue and do allow Therapy and Emotional Support Dogs. There lays the issue that some passengers have taken issue with dogs being on cruise ships.

One cruise I was on a woman was pushing a small dog around in a very expensive doggie buggy and boasting how she was able to get it on board by claiming it was a "Service Animal". That was definitely NOT a "Service Animal" which is the very reason "Service Animals" on board cruise ships get a bad rap.

Check out this link http://pleasedontpetme.com/differences.php

Lots of people also say that if you have a small dog, it can't be a service dog because of its size. What most people think of when you say service dog is golden retrievers and black labs, not little ones. I get that with my miniature poodle. They think that she is just a pet, even with her vest on. She is in fact a seizure alert dog, and is a fine size for what she is trained to do.

One of the most well trained service animals I've ever encountered was a therapy dog named Molly who happened to be a Schipperke.

I personally have no problem with dogs (service animals or not) as long as they're well trained. It took a LONG time and getting to know a couple of different therapy dogs for my son to get over being kinda freaked out by dogs because he'd only ever experienced ones that were yippy or tried to lick his face off or tried to jump up on him and knock him down while the owners were yelling "Oh he's just being friendly!"

I do agree that it is FAR too easy for somebody to buy the correct "papers" and vests and whatnot right off the internet without ever having their dog go through the right training and that ticks me off something fierce.

Judging from your posting history, cruising is not new to you. What did you experience and/or observe on past cruises??