Where to hire car in Tauranga?

DT1304

I have done a search through these forums and could only find a thread from 2013, so I thought I would ask for some more recent information.

I want to hire a car when we get off the ship in Tauranga, and do a day of self drive touring, through to Rotorua.

I have seen that Thrifty is close to the port and offers a shuttle to and from their offices. Is this correct? Are there any other companies that do the same thing, or perhaps even have offices right there close to the port where we dock?

We have hired a couple of times from Pegasus. They bring the vehicle to a spot immediately outside the port gates where they meet you for you to sign the agreement. At the end of the day the told us to lock the car and leave the keys with the security guard at the port gate.

To cover ourselves, we took photos of each of the four sides of the car in case there was a later claim that we had damaged the car. The photos of course would have the time the photo was taken imbedded in the image and it would be clear by the background that it was taken immediately outside the gate.

There are companies that have depots in Mt Manganui which are walking distance to the ship. Otherwise, the major companies seem to be closer to Tauranga Airport and it's quite a cab ride to get to them.

There are companies that have depots in Mt Manganui which are walking distance to the ship. Otherwise, the major companies seem to be closer to Tauranga Airport and it's quite a cab ride to get to them.

My suggestion is to hire from a company that will come to the port.:)

We are headed to Tauranga later this month. We have booked a car through Thrifty. They have a shuttle bus that will pick us up from the port & take us to the office. They offer a return shuttle when you return the car.The price seems quite reasonable.

We used RitePrice Rentals last week in Tauranga. Price & Car OK and service was great. Shuttle collected us at the main gate and took us about 1km to the office and off we went. On return shuttle took us back to the port entrance.

Glad we booked early as another ship was in port at the same time & all cars were booked out well in advance.

Have used one of the larger rental companies in Tauranga before, but had to get to/from airport which was rather inconvenient and expensive taxi trip..

I'm trying to remember who we used - I know we just walked off the ship and picked up the car from the carpark just near by. It worked well.

Edit - it may have been Shore Trips and Tours - they have cars as well tours for a variety of ports

Edited by Aussieflyer

We hired a van for six people (actually seats 8) from rent a dent, was waiting for us right outside the port gates, just had to sign and off we went, left van in same spot when we returned. Was a very easy process and only $150. We thought we might get a real bomb considering the name of the company, but it was pure luxury with electric everything and beautiful plush seats that laid right back. I would have taken that van home if I could. Would definitely recommend and use again. This was just last week.

Edited by madnsneaky

We just rented from rite price a few days ago, awesome service, shuttle was already at the port at 7.30am and took us right to the office about 1km away. The lady at the counter even offered to call Hobbiton for us and booked tickets.